2017 NESDev Compo - Rules/Guidelines

Moderator: Moderators

lidnariq

Re: 2017 NESDev Compo - Rules/Guidelines

Post by lidnariq »

Cleaner ability to incorporate these games into a multicart, because the game can get access to the full combination of banking supported by the CPLD (PRG ROM banking AND mirroring control AND CHR-RAM banking) without touching the "supervisor" register.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

Sumez wrote:What do these mappers allow that the other supported configurations don't?
As lidnariq said, primarily a means to bank CHR-RAM, but also provide available features such as software selectable mirroring which most discrete mappers don't provide. By the looks of things there will be plenty of logic to spare if we continue to exceed 4mbit, so perhaps things would be simplified by permitting MMC3 or the likes. Probably best for us to separate the discussion of a new mapper for future compos to a different thread, as it detracts from this thread's discussion of the current 2017 compo to which we don't want to change the rules.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
tepples

Post by tepples »

Continue new mapper discussion here.

For purposes of this compo, suffice it to say that if a mapper 28 program never writes to $81 save once at program startup, it should be patchable to work.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

When/where can we start entering submissions?
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

dougeff wrote:When/where can we start entering submissions?
I'm planning on having the details up tonight. I have been holding off since in the past we have had to deal with a bunch of resubmissions which can get cumbersome.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

In a progress thread, this was briefly discussed:
na_th_an wrote:That's the good thing. Once the compo is finished, you still have time to add whatever you want so the game in the cart is the best possible rendition.
calima wrote: Personally, I consider that cheating if it goes beyond game-breaking bug fixes.
na_th_an wrote:I don't think it's cheating as the version you have to consider when voting is the one available on deadline. Further work is just enhancing the game for the cart, so cart buyers get the best product possible.

But I think we should discuss this issue elsewhere and stop polluting this thread.
My 2 cents: Basically same as na_th_an, but just to make it waterproof: How about we agree to not publish updated ROM:s from the compo deadline up until the judging phase has been concluded?
calima

Post by calima »

Elaborating: I think it's simply wrong to give the cart players a different experience to the judges. That makes it no longer a compo cart, but something tangentially related.

Naturally the current way sells more carts, and calling it "shiny fundraiser cart thing that only slightly resembles the competition entries" wouldn't sell well ;)
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

I feel that most people who buy the cartridge have already played the released roms on the compo page. Releasing potentially buggy or less polished games on the compilation cartridge doesn't make sense at all. Also, most people who play these probably don't download all the interim releases leading up to the competition deadline/cartridge release.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Website updated. I kept the judging parameters the same since I don't feel like throwing any curve balls this late in the game. I kind of had a surprise baby this year lol, so that took a lot of my time so I didn't get a better judging system in place either. I've seen some really impressive stuff out there, so I can't wait to see what people HAVEN'T already shared.

Lets get those submissions in! Only one week to go.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

For anyone who doesn't know, this is the official website...

http://nesdevcompo.nintendoage.com/rules/2017/
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

I'm still working on the website, but here is the complete archive for anyone who wants to check out this years entries!
http://nesdevcompo.nintendoage.com/file ... ry%201.zip
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

Second Christmas indeed, but for me, I consider it the best present for my 30th birthday.
I've basically kept myself from looking at any of the in progress threads, so this is going to be quite exiting to open this up and see what everyone's been up to for the whole year.
pubby

Post by pubby »

Is the site/voting making progress?
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

pubby wrote:Is the site/voting making progress?
The voting surveys have been sent out. If you did not receive one (check junk folder), please let me know. The website will be finished tomorrow evening and will be posted Tuesday morning at the latest.
calima

Post by calima »

I got the survey link, but the "click done and be able to continue later" doesn't work. It doesn't let me in again, it puts up "you have already taken this survey".