Progress Thread - Wolfling

Moderator: Moderators

Lazycow

Re: Progress Thread - Wolfling

Post by Lazycow »

First test with stais.
When she's running downstairs, she does not look as elegant as Simon Belmont... :roll: (needs some tweaking)
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Simon Belmont knows you shouldn't run down stairs - maybe stairs could affect the running speed by some small amount?
Diskover

Post by Diskover »

I really like the way the camera has to follow the player.

It looks "modern"
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

In handling going down the stairs (in reality, bouncing from edge to edge) you might want to add a bit of a grade period to allow a jump after the player has left the ground. Donkey Kong country has an absurdly long jump timeout in this style, but you can probably get away with ten frames or so. That way there isn't a frustration point where the player finds themselves unable to jump while going down the stairs sometimes.

Battletoads has this problem somewhat. On the ice level, if you run down a slope (instead of just walk) you will likely be unable to jump.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Haunted: Halloween '85 had a problem with jumping from stairs or ramps. It was solved in the sequel by buffering an A press while descending and no more than 8 pixels above the floor. If an A press is buffered, the character jumps the moment he lands.
Lazycow

Post by Lazycow »

Image Image
Zolionline requested a door; here we go. So yes, you will face indoor-action and outdoor-action in the game.
What's the usual procedure to enter a door? Pushing up? (should be Cave Story compatible)
Also, the stair handling should be ok now. (jumping while climbing the stairs works as well)
Myask

Post by Myask »

"up" and "contextual action" buttons both have a chunk; up is more common on NES.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

Just don't use the down button like Blaster Master did. I remember as a kid it literally took us hours to figure that out.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Yeah, up is conventional. It's rarely used for much else in a platformer where you don't fire projectiles upwards (castlevania comes to mind as a counterexample, but even simon's quest used up for doors, iirc). It's also geometrically self-explaining. Looking at your controller, 'up' is pointing away from you/towards the distance.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

I actually really liked Cave Story's use of Down to enter doors, but that was only made obvious because I read the README before playing. No matter what you use, there's no harm in a little 8x8 arrow sprite appearing above the character in front of a door to clear up some ambiguity.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Button reminder thought bubble (five 8x8 tiles)
Attachments
thought_bubble.png
thought_bubble.png (728 Bytes) Viewed 11194 times
Myask

Post by Myask »

Not sure why you tapered the bubble. The bottom portion works well enough mirrored. I'd do 3 tiles, over 6 8x8 sprites; then you can easily replace the content of the thought balloon, which enables a wealth of options. ! ? Z X
Attachments
thought_bubble.png
thought_bubble.png (528 Bytes) Viewed 11146 times
Lazycow

Post by Lazycow »

Yes, "up" to enter a doors seems to work fine.

I've managed to setup CHRRAM and bank-switching. (using the codeseg and rodataseg pragmas of cc65)
Here's an example of calling a function from another bank:

Code: Select all

Switch(1);
  Bank1Test(1,2,3);
  Switch(3);
This works... (at least if I call Bank1Test(); from bank 3, the fixed bank)
It looks a bit complicated, though. Is there an easier way? How do you handle the banks?
calima

Post by calima »

The latest cc65 version includes support for trampolines, added by me, which make for transparent bankswitching.

Code: Select all

// header
#pragma wrapped-call(push, trampoline, 1)
void Bank1Test(char a, char b, char c);
#pragma wrapped-call(pop)

// C file
Bank1Test(1,2,3);
It stacks and even allows for code in a switchable bank to call code in another switchable bank, returning to where things were afterwards (if you write your trampoline to do so, of course).
Lazycow

Post by Lazycow »

Ok, I've managed to put famitone and test-music into bank #1 and the exomizer decruncher with crunched data into bank #2. Hopefully, I won't need any trampoline-functions for the remaining 32k. But it might be handy for bigger games.

Finally, I've discovered the reason why my DPCM-split code failed: It does not like famitone. Continuing with a standard SPR0 split. Also working: Slow status display update.

By the way, did anyone modify the exomizer decruncher to depack to CHRRAM directly? Currently, I am using RAM as a intermediate buffer and copying the data to CHRRAM in a 2nd step.