Action 53 volume 4

Moderator: Moderators

na_th_an

Re: Action 53 volume 4

Post by na_th_an »

I could add passwords to MiedoW. Store the current level + lives + continues plus some gibberish and checksums is definitely an option. I think I will :)
tepples

Post by tepples »

If you're adding passwords, you end up with unlimited continues anyway. So a password that stores about as much as passwords in The Curse of Possum Hollow (that is, chapter and accumulated powerups) should be enough.
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

I never seem to get this right, so I'm asking. Do you guys think I should dish the continues if I add a password system?
tepples

Post by tepples »

That's exactly what I'm saying. If you add a password system, you no longer need to count continues.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

M_Tee wrote:Forgive me if it's been addressed before, but is there any chance of having some flash memory available for games to use?
Making it all work becomes a bit of a mess depending on how we'd like to go about things. Here's the relevant thread. Feel like there was somewhere requesting we add PRG-RAM to the cartridge for saves, but can't find it. Hoping we can keep action53 hardware discussion in that thread keep things organized.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
DarkKobold

Post by DarkKobold »

I loved Volume 3, and can't wait to buy Volume 4. Seriously, where is it? ;)
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

Gosh, I think it's about time I put aside my current projects and spend some time producing an enhanced version of my game with the suggestions made. Should we set a deadline?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

It's a volunteer effort, DarkKobold, so it will wait until the relevant volunteers have the opportunity and inclination to make it.

Most of the compilation programming part of the work is done by one particular volunteer named tepples. M-Tee did the box art for the last volume. Probably a lot of it is yet to be organized and collected. (...and I'm not sure if they might be looking to re-license everything for a combined volumes 1-4? That might add to the timeline further.)

For reference, volume 3 just came out a few weeks ago, so it took about a year and a half after the entries were initially submitted.
DarkKobold

Post by DarkKobold »

rainwarrior wrote:It's a volunteer effort, DarkKobold, so it will wait until the relevant volunteers have the opportunity and inclination to make it.

Most of the compilation programming part of the work is done by one particular volunteer named tepples. M-Tee did the box art for the last volume. Probably a lot of it is yet to be organized and collected. (...and I'm not sure if they might be looking to re-license everything for a combined volumes 1-4? That might add to the timeline further.)

For reference, volume 3 just came out a few weeks ago, so it took about a year and a half after the entries were initially submitted.
I was mostly joking - I know it takes a lot of effort (hence the winky face). I just wanted to let the people working on it know that there are fans out there that love the Action 53 line, and are excited for the next version. I'll for sure buy it, whenever it comes.

FWIW, I also bought Lizard, and have been enjoying it. I enjoy supporting the homebrew community where and when I can.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Anyone else have updates before we finalize the screenshots?
olddb

Post by olddb »

So this thread is for updated versions of games of the 2017 NESdev Competition?

New entries go in the 2018 NESdev Competition forum?
tepples

Post by tepples »

Correct.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

Would anyone be up to composing a short 4 bar piece of music for the splash screen of volume 4?

There's doubts that we should continue to use the music loop that was present for the previous volumes.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

What audio engine does it use?
tepples

Post by tepples »

File names in menu source indicate that Action 53 uses Pently. It's currently a slightly outdated version, but I plan to bring in the latest version (as heard in Nova the Squirrel) once I have the new music package. I can take the piece in the form of a Pently score or a FamiTracker module that uses Pently's subset of FamiTracker functionality.

Needed: Title screen music
Optional: Menu background music
Optional: Sound effect for change line
Optional: Sound effect for change page