Action 53 volume 4

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Re: Action 53 volume 4

Post by tepples »

"Senior Class" would also do well given the original plan to have Action 53 itself draw largely from the first four volumes.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

M_Tee wrote:We still might want to consider skipping 2018 and naming current contest 2019 as in recent episodes of The Assembly Line, contest years were commonly misspoken, '18 instead of '17, '17 instead of '16.
I wonder if this could be avoided in the future by setting the date back to November or something. I feel like the chances of success are better with an end of January deadline, but it does make it confusing.

Maybe we should nix the date altogether and just start numbering them.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

NESHomebrew wrote:
M_Tee wrote:We still might want to consider skipping 2018 and naming current contest 2019 as in recent episodes of The Assembly Line, contest years were commonly misspoken, '18 instead of '17, '17 instead of '16.
I wonder if this could be avoided in the future by setting the date back to November or something. I feel like the chances of success are better with an end of January deadline, but it does make it confusing.

Maybe we should nix the date altogether and just start numbering them.
I'm not sure which is the better solution, but I agree that the year designation is confusing. Just skipping a year and renumbering sounds every bit as confusing as not changing it, though. I'd either change the deadline, or change the numbering scheme entirely, before skipping a year.

If you made the deadline Dec 31 at midnight, it would be more obvious what year the competition is for (From Jan to Dec!) but you might lose people in the holiday rush.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

gauauu wrote: If you made the deadline Dec 31 at midnight, it would be more obvious what year the competition is for (From Jan to Dec!) but you might lose people in the holiday rush.
That's why we made it January 31st. I still like the ending date timing wise. People in school don't have to worry about it messing with their finals, parents don't have to worry about all the Christmas/new years details.
Lazycow

Post by Lazycow »

I have tested Wolfling in the a53vol4-page4.nes with the nintaco emulator and Wolfling crashes when entering the cave. :(
(it does not crash when I select the wolfling14.nes file)

Any hints how I can isolate the problem?
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

M_Tee wrote:Loose plan for cover art is a Breakfast Club-ish group shot of games' protagonists on a set of outdoor bleachers, something that screams American high school.
Ditched the group illustration idea and am instead designing the cover to look like a page out of a yearbook. Should be neat when finished.
Last edited by M_Tee on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

Lazycow wrote:I have tested Wolfling in the a53vol4-page4.nes with the nintaco emulator and Wolfling crashes when entering the cave. :(
(it does not crash when I select the wolfling14.nes file)

Any hints how I can isolate the problem?
To the best of my knowledge I have been using version 14, as you did post that while I was typing out the descriptions. I'll try testing it more later tonight. what does the cave look like?

It could possibly be the emulator's implementation of mapper 28 bank switching. I forget at the moment were the test ROM for that would be.
tepples

Post by tepples »

JRoatch wrote:It could possibly be the emulator's implementation of mapper 28 bank switching. I forget at the moment were the test ROM for that would be.
What do test28 and Holy Mapperel say?

I could test it myself on hardware if there were half-and-half ROMs.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

After letting Wolfling run in it's attract mode I have confirm the crash, and that it's completely a fault with just the action 53 build only. I'm now investigating what I did wrong.

EDIT: found it. I accidentally left the old "unused space" markings (I thought I had changed them), which promptly got overwritten with unrelated compressed CHR. :oops:
tepples wrote:I could test it myself on hardware if there were half-and-half ROMs.
I kind of left that on the wayside, because that technically would be a different build. and I already trust that mapper 28 works correctly under powerpak, fceux, and mesen.

I'll send you those builds privately soonish anyway.

EDIT 2: attached fixed build.
Attachments
a53vol4-page4-fix.nes
(1 MiB) Downloaded 665 times
gravelstudios

Post by gravelstudios »

This is pretty exciting. after I gave permission for the inclusion of Get It!, I sort of just forgot about it. It's really nice to see it in this context.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

Found and fixed a small bug where if you start Coredump from Power on (by holding A and B), it'll load garbage graphics from a unmapped bank.
Attachments
a53vol4-2019-03-08.nes
(1 MiB) Downloaded 576 times
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

So as I was working on a potential Volume 5 an idea came up were Volume 4 could actually be the combination of compo 2017 and 2018. The upside of this would be that compo 2018 can make it to physical release sooner, the downside may or may not be that this Volume 4 would be delayed due to having to upgrade the ROM from 1MByte to 2MByte. The combined Volume release may possibly be delayed to allow for improvements as well.

What do you all think about this?
gravelstudios

Post by gravelstudios »

I say do whatever you think is best, or most economical. I'm just excited at the prospect of seeing my game in cartridge format, which I wouldn't have gone to the expense to do myself.