Thecoolestnerdguy and I are here to present our first ever NES project! It’s still untitled for now, we’ve just been calling it Project Chocoblip. We’re hoping to have a fun little category 1 game by the time the compo deadline rolls in
Project Chocoblip is a Metroidvania/Adventure platformer about a girl who gets lost in the woods while trying to help her dad collect wood. With only the pom pom on her beanie as defense, she must now find her way to the top of a mountain to make a signal fire.
As of right now, the engine we’ve built for the tech demo features:
Full 8-way scrolling:
Throwable pom pom:
And here’s a bit of regular gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BiRip2 ... e=youtu.be
Here’s some details about the game’s development:
- Written exclusively in Wiz. The level editor features a JS port of most of the game logic for immediate feedback.
- Currently using the full fat Famitracker sound driver for easing the composition process. Might change later depending on ROM requirements.
- Art created in Photoshop + NESST + custom editor.
- Build process completely automated from within the custom editor.
- Uses ANROM with 64 KB of PRG. Scrolling is done entirely within a single nametable.
- Adding enemies/enemy logic.
- Adding other miscellaneous entities: one way platforms, moving platforms, environmental hazards.
- Finish final music with our guest composers.
- Developing a boss.
- Title screen/menus/cutscenes.
- Polish, polish, polish