(Name TBD) Project "Chocoblip"

Moderator: Moderators

yoeynsf

(Name TBD) Project "Chocoblip"

Post by yoeynsf »

Hello NESDev!

Thecoolestnerdguy and I are here to present our first ever NES project! It’s still untitled for now, we’ve just been calling it Project Chocoblip. We’re hoping to have a fun little category 1 game by the time the compo deadline rolls in :)

Project Chocoblip is a Metroidvania/Adventure platformer about a girl who gets lost in the woods while trying to help her dad collect wood. With only the pom pom on her beanie as defense, she must now find her way to the top of a mountain to make a signal fire.

As of right now, the engine we’ve built for the tech demo features:

Full 8-way scrolling:

CHR-RAM parallax:

Arbitrary slopes:

Throwable pom pom:

And here’s a bit of regular gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BiRip2 ... e=youtu.be

Here’s some details about the game’s development:
  • Written exclusively in Wiz. The level editor features a JS port of most of the game logic for immediate feedback.
  • Currently using the full fat Famitracker sound driver for easing the composition process. Might change later depending on ROM requirements.
  • Art created in Photoshop + NESST + custom editor.
  • Build process completely automated from within the custom editor.
  • Uses ANROM with 64 KB of PRG. Scrolling is done entirely within a single nametable.
Among our future goals for the project are:
  • Adding enemies/enemy logic.
  • Adding other miscellaneous entities: one way platforms, moving platforms, environmental hazards.
  • Finish final music with our guest composers.
  • Developing a boss.
  • Title screen/menus/cutscenes.
  • Polish, polish, polish
Controllerhead

Re: (Name TBD) Project "Chocoblip"

Post by Controllerhead »

I'm glad you got your scrolling engine up and running!

Looking forward to progress :)
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

I got high hopes for this one! Fingers crossed that you can pull it all together in time. I believe! :shock:
vnsbr

Post by vnsbr »

Looks like you have the hardest mplemented and already working (makes me wet hearing multiscroll directional on NES :p) . We are working on a platformer too but just horizontal scroll for now! Great job
Trirosmos

Post by Trirosmos »

Howdy, follow NESDev'ers!
We've spent the last couple of days fixing game-breaking bugs that unfortunately ended up in the ROM we submitted for the compo. And while we were at it, we also added a few extra bits of polish!

Now all of that is available on Itch for y'all to enjoy! :D

For the sake of completeness, I'm also including the ROM we submitted, but I'll warn you, it's pretty broken :shock:
Attachments
Chocoblip_Alpha_0.1.nes
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
agg23

Post by agg23 »

Glad to see you got a chance to clean it up. I haven't looked at the new build yet, but the old build was confusing to me (I think because of bugs).
Trirosmos

Post by Trirosmos »

agg23 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:14 pm Glad to see you got a chance to clean it up. I haven't looked at the new build yet, but the old build was confusing to me (I think because of bugs).
Heh, some of the confusion probably can be attributed to... slightly questionable game design choices.
But, yeah, at least now you shouldn't get soft locked anymore and the game should always be completable.