Blobert - A platformer where you control the world, not the player

Moderator: Moderators

CardboardBox

Blobert - A platformer where you control the world, not the player

Post by CardboardBox »

Blobert - A platformer where you control the world, not the player.

Move the world around to try to make Blobert climb to the top.

It's just me working on this one. Started working on this near the beginning of February, and it seems like I'm finishing it just in time. I just have a few little things I want to change before submitting. I'm hoping I can find 267 bytes to cut to fit it snugly in 16 KiB.

Edit: Submitted. Updated ROM and screenshots.

I continued to make changes until about 20 minutes before the deadline. Hope I didn't break anything! Managed to get it to fit in 16 KiB like I wanted, and even had a few hundred bytes to spare so I added some DMC samples to the music. Most of the changes from the first version I posted were to make the game easier (it's still hard). I also made the level movement a little smoother and changed the graphics to be more NES-friendly (1-pixel width grass looked horrible on original hardware).
Attachments
blobert.nes
(16.02 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
blobert_004.png
blobert_004.png (2.39 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
blobert_006.png
blobert_006.png (4.67 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
Last edited by CardboardBox on Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
agg23

Re: Blobert - A platformer where you control the world, not the player

Post by agg23 »

Very interesting game and unique mechanic. It would be really nice if there was a tutorial, as after 5 minutes of messing around, I'm still not sure I grasped how the movement worked. Really like it though.