Are homebrew devs "accessories" to Nintendo's aggression?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

8bitMicroGuy

Re: Are homebrew devs "accessories" to Nintendo's aggression

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

tepples wrote: [sarcasm]Should I change your username to 16bitMicroGuy?[/sarcasm]
You've made my day with this XD Answered all of my questions. I've always thought that setting up a SNES development environment is a big deal. I'm not sure if that's correct. Could you please give me a link to a bundle of tools to use so that I don't have to hunt for them myself which usually leads me to download broken stuff that break my Windows installation and my patience?

Also, that would be epic! XD 16bitMicroGuy. As of the time of my registration, I had no idea that there was The 8-bit Guy YouTuber because Google's search engine didn't catch it while I was checking for my name already existing. So this 16bitMicroGuy sounds very cool! XD As a matter of fact, maybe 16-bit is what I've been aiming for since a long while. I think I could rename. I just hope I won't have login issues with that. If I won't, please rename me to 16bitMicroGuy.
koitsu wrote:Surely the solution to this "problem" is just to hate everything made by corporate overlords. No more liking things, just hate everything.
I've realized something. Even if things have most of the time been very dark and in most of the aspects very dark, it doesn't mean that we as children perceived them that way. I mean, take Microsoft Windows stuff for example. I had no idea about Microsoft's tactics, but there were still countless developers making awesome stuff in Microsoft and outside of Microsoft. Same way with Nintendo. I'm pretty sure that most of the stuff made by the talents behind Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc. were not so much driven by anger and zeal, but actual creativity. It's the managers and the investors and the legalese guys who just make everything look bad and who are the rulers of everything. As much as I see, they have two goals. If any of them are satisfied, they are satisfied. First is that people submit to the overlords. The second is that people hate the overlords and that they make a total fuss which just makes "Fandoms ruin everything" more real, childhoods get destroyed such as Steven Universe fans bullying some fan artist into suicide, etc..

It's really sad... I've always thought as a kid that after all of the hard days in school I can come back home and play and invite my buddies and make our VHS tape let's plays and audio tape let's plays. I always knew that my game world would always be my comfort zone. But look at what this has become! Now it's a CONFRONT zone! And a very heavy one! Rule 34 around every corner! SJWs awaiting to stress you out. Legal suehappies undermining your development cycle of projects and your every step with EULAs where you sell your soul to the devil before they C&D you. I mean... seriously...

But if we keep just hating, then we're just feeding them. Why don't we just be thankful for what we have and what we've done so far and continue working on it and be more authentic and confident in ourselves that we've done great work together? If we show resistance with our true works of love for technology and gaming and art in general, then maybe people might see that those tech overlords are the real bad guys while we are actually the good guys. Let's not trade our passion for glory like crazy virgins (Biblical reference mixed with Eye of the Tiger song). Don't lose your grip on your dreams of the past! You must fight just to keep them alive! Let's not be like Linux people who have sold their Linux Foundation seat to a Microsoft guy who has been bribing the GPL enforcers to not enforce the GPL but to punish Linux users for using Linux. Let's not be like all kinds of zealots and madmen who just go around angrily. I mean, haven't we already had enough bullies in real life? Why do we need any on the internet? Let's be professional and stick to what we've always loved to do.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

8bitMicroGuy wrote:Let's not be like Linux people who have sold their Linux Foundation seat to a Microsoft guy who has been bribing the GPL enforcers to not enforce the GPL but to punish Linux users for using Linux.
First time I read something like that. Any references ?
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

Bregalad wrote:
8bitMicroGuy wrote:Let's not be like Linux people who have sold their Linux Foundation seat to a Microsoft guy who has been bribing the GPL enforcers to not enforce the GPL but to punish Linux users for using Linux.
First time I read something like that. Any references ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVHcdgrqbHE

The video seems to be sarcastic and ironic and stuff, but the guy will say what the video isn't about and then 10 minutes later the real thing will begin. The point he's making is that Linux was better back then before the Linux Foundation has given $500000 to Microsoft. Please watch it fully without skipping.
tepples

Post by tepples »

A discussion on some Discord server led to my rediscovering this topic nearly two years later through the forum's search feature.
8bitMicroGuy wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:03 pmCould you please give me a link to a bundle of tools to use so that I don't have to hunt for them myself which usually leads me to download broken stuff that break my Windows installation and my patience?
I deliberately set up my Super NES project template to be built with exactly the same tools as my NES project template: Python, GNU Coreutils, GNU Make, and cc65, with GIMP for editing the graphics. GIMP, Python, and Git are fairly big projects with prominent Windows installers, and the Git Bash distribution also installs Coreutils.
8bitMicroGuy wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:03 pmIf I won't, please rename me to 16bitMicroGuy.
If you're still interested in this transition nearly two years later, let me know (in a separate topic) what problems you run into while building nrom-template and lorom-template.