What do you guys do for work?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

bazz

What do you guys do for work?

Post by bazz » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:56 pm

Just wondering

drk421

Re: What do you guys do for work?

Post by drk421 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:24 am

Actually, you beat me to the question. I've been kinda wondering what most of the peeps on this board do...

I'd be surprised if someone on here was delivering pizzas, not that there's anything wrong with that. But, smart people are needed, (and companies are willing to pay!) and there's a lot of bad coders out there...

Anyway...

I did Unix Sysadmin and networking (FreeBSD, some Linux, and a bunch of different networking appliances) for too long. Moved to writing test frameworks (for testing backend software) in Python and C#. Now I do mobile stuff in Java and Objective C, backend services in Python using Twisted, and front end Web/HTML/CSS/JS.
Last edited by drk421 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

mic_

Post by mic_ » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:11 am

I work as a software developer (surprise). Been doing that for about 7 years now; mostly within mobile, and mostly with lower-level stuff like native multimedia frameworks and whatnot.

koitsu

Post by koitsu » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:03 am

I've been out of work for over a year now, but you can see what I usually do. Not sure what I'm going to be doing in the future, as I tend to dislike technology in general at this point in time.

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:46 am

I'm a front-end web developer (HTML, CSS and JavaScript), with occasional design and illustration jobs. Used to code ActionScript a lot too, but since mobile platforms started to kill Flash I haven't done much of that lately. I also used to do back-end development, but my hate for forms and databases quickly drove me away from that.

Zelex

Post by Zelex » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:39 am

Game developer. Currently working at Red 5 Studios on Firefall. http://jonolick.com/games.html

James

Post by James » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:55 am

Network Architect/Manager at a prop trading firm.
get nemulator
http://nemulator.com

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:03 pm

I was a game programmer. My last contract ended recently, and I've been taking some time off, so... currently unemployed.

Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:51 pm

I'm a teacher here in Brazil. :) Mathematics.

cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:25 pm

I'm a developer of board-support packages, network stacks, USB stacks, and other middleware for all sorts of aircraft electronics, including flight management, navigation, passenger amenities, and ground-based landing guidance systems. Currently I'm working on four boards that are part of this system. Been doing avionics for *exactly* ten years as-of today! Before that I was in telecom at various places doing board-support packages & etc.

No, I had nothing to do with the battery fires on 787s.

Perhaps morbidly, I'm currently reading "Crashers", a [fiction] book about Irish terrorists that bring down a jet and the NTSB investigation that ensues.

TmEE

Post by TmEE » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:12 pm

I used to do computer repairs (both hardware and software), windows server maintenance and customer support (phone, remote desktop, housecalls). But then all of a sudden my boss decided its time for him to pack up and move to Australia. I had been doing that stuff for good 5 years.
While I was doing all that I also repaired and helped to troubleshoot home electronics (TVs mainly but also lot of other stuff). There were (still are) 2 awesome men working in same building repairing everything electronical. Digital world is overwhelming for them, but made it whole lot less that for them. I am most likely going to take over their business when they retire in not so far future, I am the only person in this area that is also capable of doing things they do, and with great interest in it...

Now I work for Watermelon Corp and I design in-house tools, particularly music and sound related. I also do some hardware related tasks too. Awesome people all around.

In my spare time I mess with old computers, solder a lot and design digital computation devices and HiFi analog audio. I dream of doing that stuff for living but I lack any and all education on such stuff and paper means more than skill to most people. I am too dumb (when it comes to mathematics) and poor to go into an university to get those papers...

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:45 pm

I'm now a cashier at a Lowes, I'm 19 and I've only had this job 5 months, it's my first. Hopefully can program my way in to a programming job because I'm working towards an AAS (Maybe higher?) in Electronics, but my real love is programming. C#, C++, and all other high level stuff I'd probably hate, I'd love to get in to somewhere working with mainly C and assembly, hopefully embedded. I'd like embedded systems the best, but we'll see...

ulfalizer

Post by ulfalizer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:59 am

Used to work in web browser dev. Taking some time off now, thinking of what I'd like to do next. Something more low-level would probably suit me, or game dev, but I've mostly heard bad things about working in that field.

Zelex

Post by Zelex » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:21 am

ulfalizer wrote:Used to work in web browser dev. Taking some time off now, thinking of what I'd like to do next. Something more low-level would probably suit me, or game dev, but I've mostly heard bad things about working in that field.
It has its ups and downs. The hours are not always the best, but if you love making games for the sake of it, and the company you work for is reasonable, its not all that bad.

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:03 pm

Well, "love making games" needs to be qualified. You have to find the process of making games acceptable; there's a lot of things that come with that which drive people (who otherwise passionately want to make games) out of the industry. There's better and worse companies to work at, but even at a good one, there's a lot of aspects of commercial game development that really stress out most people. I am just ballparking this, but I think roughly half of the people who enter the industry leave after about a year.

For me, game dev was an okay fit. I don't actually get too stressed by the particular problems involved, but I have become quite aware that I am unusual in that regard.

If you want to make a game, indie dev has never been easier than it is now, and can be a great hobby. If you want to do it as a living, though, my honest opinion is that very few people are actually cut out for it, and the rest would be very unhappy in the games industry.

Examples of factors that drive people out of the industry:
- Constant compromise: there is never enough time/money/skill to do what you want to do.
- Lack of control: you will be told to do things the wrong way sometimes (often), and you won't have the authority to fight it.
- Skilled work, like programming, is often better paid outside the industry.
- Half of game projects will be cancelled before release, you're going to spend years of your life on failures.
- Constant layoffs. This is an endemic part of the industry, for various reasons.
- Long hours.
- Programming, especially game programming, is very volatile and unpredictable because of its complexity (unexpected bugs, etc.), so is very hard to schedule/estimate. This leads to a large host of problems that affect everyone in the company.