What do you guys do for work?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Zelex

Re: What do you guys do for work?

Post by Zelex » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:23 pm

Yeah, your totally right. Best to just not put yourself in that position in the first place if you can avoid it. However, doing dev at home, in a non-competing fashion from your employer, for your own purposes as long as you use your own computer with your own power and at your own house I would just do it anyway, or maybe switch jobs then do it anyway. I wouldn't put up with something like that.

tomaitheous

Post by tomaitheous » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:10 pm

I used to work in the IT field, but I eventually got bored and sick of the whole thing (1996-2003). Since then, I've worked only non-technical/technology kind of jobs. The past 4 years, I've been doing this:
Kind of... mural-ish things, if you will. They're just silhouettes, but they can be really big (60ft wide be 12ft tall). It's all free hand, but I'm not allowed to make up what I want. I'm given a pic for reference, as to what to paint on the wall. Though I tend to take liberties, cause I get bored. It's all done by hand; I sketch it all out with a small brush first - then start adding in details. Sometimes, the pics are huge repeating patterns. That's a bit more difficult to get right, by hand. But I have a system down for it. I've been doing this for stores, and it can up to a month to complete a store (about 100-120 hours).

Though, I've been trying my hardest to go back to school. To try and get a job in coding (having no degree or direct work related experience, I can't get passed the interview process of companies). Money is tight, so things don't come together so easily (my plans). But such is life :P

bazz

Post by bazz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:02 pm

I like that man. Nice Stuff

Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:37 pm

In my job, I'm a technician. It's with a small company, so I wear other hats too, as needed. But I mostly focus on production, burn-in and functional tests of boards, calibration, quality control, board mods and upgrades (including preventive maintenance), and evaluate/repair boards that have been in the field. It's critical equipment for all types of medical research, among other stuff. So I can take it seriously, and have fun because I like working with electronics and learning. Been doing that full-time for about 4 years.

Before that, I worked for a small chemical company. Blending product, packaging it, and I had a CDL with hazmat endorsement (everything we handled was either extremely corrosive, or extremely flammable, heheh), so I was the delivery driver as well. I got pretty good at pushing around 55-gallon drums. There was also some distribution involved that had me traveling to towns all over northern Indiana, n. Ohio, and s. Michigan. That was fun, some of it was during the days of using old fashioned paper maps, too.

janzdott

Post by janzdott » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:24 pm

I graduated high school 2 years ago. Had a good but temporary job at a utility company. Got laid off. I'm gonna go to college for computer science. Not sure where I'm gonna go yet, though.

Celius

Post by Celius » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:13 am

I'm currently a developer of in-house software for a major retailer (I don't think I can say who it is). It's software for a specific division (so not the whole company), so the audience isn't thousands of people. It's mostly VB.Net programming and database stuff. I actually really enjoy my job. It's relatively easy programming for me, but I also get to be creative in how I design forms/tools for people to use. I got the job after getting my AAS in Software Development, and have been working for almost 2 years.

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:52 pm

I used to work in the IT field, but I eventually got bored and sick of the whole thing (1996-2003). Since then, I've worked only non-technical/technology kind of jobs
It's fun you got sick of computers. I sort of understand how you felt. I admire that you had both the ability and will to move to a non-computer related job, despite being paid probably (?) much less for it.

By the way your mural art is very nice ! Especially the grape one, I like it, it is sober and of very good taste. I'd love to one have of these but my house is mostly wooden so it's probably not going to fit very well.

tomaitheous

Post by tomaitheous » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:03 pm

It has it's up sides and down sides. Before the recession, pay wasn't too bad (though nothing like the IT job I had). Pay hasn't changed so much now, as so much to the lesser amount of work that I get nowadays. I scaled back my living style/expenses, originally, when I left the IT field. I prioritized what I wanted for myself and what I wanted out of life, and was able to live reasonably well. Though while I've sacrificed any long term benefit and definitely my retirement, the amount of stress was ~near~ 0. A fair trade IMO. I made a gamble; even if I lived to be old(er) - would I be happy with my life? More or less, I traded the future - for the 'now', while I was still young enough to enjoy it.

I was able to put more time in my high tech hobbies, as well. I was able to spend more time with my sons, raise them, actually be there mentally when I was at home/off work. I ~loved~ being stress free and the fact that I didn't have to take my 'job' home with me, every night. Some times work was physically exhausting, but that's nothing compared to being mentally exhausted. When you come home after a hard day's work, you can actually relax - and recovery time is short. I could never do that before, with mental stress - not really. But it seems now, some of my priorities/needs in life have changed since then. Going back to school and getting back into a technical field (or any specialized field), is what I need to do now.

Celius

Post by Celius » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:04 am

Luckily I've found a job in IT where I'm not on-call, and I don't take my work home with me. It's relatively stress-free. The only thing that really causes stress is the threat of being laid off when the company decides that to make more money this year, they'll cut down on payroll. But I suppose that's a possibility wherever you go (unless you're self-employed).

I plan on moving on to non-IT things some day. My plan has been to start venturing into those things on the side after my day job. Once I can start making money off of those things, and that income exceeds my regular job, I'll cut the wire, possibly. I've written a novel that is in the revision stages, and I'd like to get that done and see about publishing it. I don't expect for that to make more money than my day job, but you never know. There are other creative projects in the works that could be profitable, but are not even mostly complete.

ulfalizer

Post by ulfalizer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:15 pm

tomaitheous wrote:I used to work in the IT field, but I eventually got bored and sick of the whole thing (1996-2003). Since then, I've worked only non-technical/technology kind of jobs. The past 4 years, I've been doing this:
Maybe it's a "the grass is always greener" thing, but that seems like a pretty nice and relaxing job overall. Could go through a few audio books while working on a mural.

Unfortunately I lack any non-technical skills that people would be willing to pay for, so I'm kinda stuck in one field :P. Fortunately I'm not that tired of it yet.
tomaitheous wrote:Though, I've been trying my hardest to go back to school. To try and get a job in coding (having no degree or direct work related experience, I can't get passed the interview process of companies). Money is tight, so things don't come together so easily (my plans). But such is life :P
Try to get some personal projects up on the web perhaps. Not sure if the situation is radically different in the US, but here (Sweden) I think at least a sizeable portion of software companies would excuse the lack of a degree if they saw something they liked. The problem is getting past HR...

I'm currently on the job hunt too. Might have a position soon if I do well on the interviews, but then there's still the whole finding an apartment and moving before running out of money PITA to deal with. Lots of stress... :(

Roth

Post by Roth » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:12 pm