Making an NES game for Ludum Dare

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

miau

Making an NES game for Ludum Dare

Post by miau » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:24 am

...and live-streaming it.
I haven't been posting/contributing here in a while so it feels wrong to plug this, but I thought some of you might be interested.

Here's the link: http://www.twitch.tv/morphcat
The stream will be online all of today and tomorrow (except when I sleep).

If the game turns out to be a total disaster, at least the stream might be fun. :)

Kasumi

Re: Making an NES game for Ludum Dare

Post by Kasumi » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:49 am

Cool stuff. I'm still not a bad enough dude to attempt Ludum Dare, but I'll watch your attempt.

IsharaComix

Post by IsharaComix » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:50 pm

Fancy meeting you here, miau! ^_^

I just finished my Ludum Dare entry, which also happened to be an NES game! I think this counts as the second game I've ever finished, and most definitely my first successful game development competition. I managed to get it working even though I had to go and fix a bug in the emulator in the middle of the compo!

It's silly, but I had fun making it. You can play it here: http://dev.8bitmooc.org/playground/18

Kasumi

Post by Kasumi » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:52 pm

Here's a link to Miau's game: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-da ... &uid=26399

I missed the end of his stream. :(

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Pretty interesting competition, never heard of it before. I couldn't possibly make anything playable on the NES in such a short time! Congratulations to Miau and IsharaComix for being able to come up with something! I really enjoyed the concept of climbing dead bodies in IsharaComix's game. In Miau' game, there's something strange about the bottom carrot in top left cross in level 3... I can't seem to pick it up...

Kasumi

Post by Kasumi » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:03 pm

I managed to beat the game in Nintendulator, but that carrot didn't work in some emulators. Which... is pretty strange. Even in Nintendulator, the part of the map that tile is on tended to be impassable.

Edit: Wait. More testing, and it's not an emulator thing. I'm not sure what it is. I can pick that carrot up some of the time, and the area of the map is solid some of the time.

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:30 pm

Nestopia showed some funny bugs given IsharaComix's submission, too. (But I figure it's one of those things best fixed when he's not sick of working on it)

Bananmos

Post by Bananmos » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:19 am

Miau's game turned out nicely, but what happened to the pole-stomping? I was under the impression that one of the game's unique challenges would be for the jumping bunny to stomp poles to free up passages when it goes invincible later?

IsharaComix entry won't work on my NTSC NES using my powerpak... buggy reset code maybe?

miau

Post by miau » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:20 am

tokumaru wrote:In Miau' game, there's something strange about the bottom carrot in top left cross in level 3... I can't seem to pick it up...
Ah, I was fearing this bug would render the game unwinnable for a lot of players. It does not occur on every playthrough, as Kasumi mentioned.
Bananmos wrote:Miau's game turned out nicely, but what happened to the pole-stomping? I was under the impression that one of the game's unique challenges would be for the jumping bunny to stomp poles to free up passages when it goes invincible later?
The pole idea didn't work out very well with the way the enemy AI was programmed.

Towards the end of day 2 I got really tired and had a hard time finishing the game up. In the end it more or less became a Pac Man clone, which I was trying to avoid. I'd like to get back to it on another day and fix bugs and experiment with the other ideas that came up in the stream chat, though.

Pro Tip for anyone joining a competition like this: Make sure to eat well! It should be self-explanatory, but it's too easy to forget if you're in the midst of a coding frenzy. :)
IsharaComix wrote:It's silly, but I had fun making it. You can play it here: http://dev.8bitmooc.org/playground/18
Hey IsharaComix! I like it, the concept is simple and enjoyable. I'd like to be able to end the turn prematurely by pressing B, but then the "10 seconds" theme of the compo would not be met. Then again, I'm not very happy about the timing aspect in my game, either. I found it quite difficult to come up with a solid concept for that theme, to be honest.

Also, kudos again for going the pure ASM route and actually pulling through!

IsharaComix

Post by IsharaComix » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:13 pm

Bananmos wrote:Miau's game turned out nicely, but what happened to the pole-stomping? I was under the impression that one of the game's unique challenges would be for the jumping bunny to stomp poles to free up passages when it goes invincible later?

IsharaComix entry won't work on my NTSC NES using my powerpak... buggy reset code maybe?
That could be. It was also buggy on Nestopia according to one reviewer. I test my code on Mednafen and jsNES. If you have the source code for a game with working reset code that you can send me, I might be able to investigate the possibilities.