Is this what I think it is?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Sik

Re: Is this what I think it is?

Post by Sik » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:22 pm

snarfblam wrote:As far as swastikas go, although they're typically associated with Nazism, I prefer to see them in terms of their original intended meaning.
Honestly, I can't be the only one annoyed about how they ruined that symbol, especially considering how trivial it's to make without trying (especially these days when dealing with low resolution, it's a freaking 5×5 twister).

Also I swear it doesn't look like a swastika to me either, it doesn't have twisting arms o.O

ShaneM

Post by ShaneM » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:30 pm

I wonder what they were thinking when they added that symbol in at the end of the water segment 8-2? I mean, it's not even halfway through the level (just the end of the water part). It's not even anywhere near or at 8-4. So the logic behind understanding why that symbol is there must be to examine the message the game designer what trying to get across there. Thought?

Here is a map of the full level: http://www.mariouniverse.com/images/maps/x1/smb/8-2.png

The only logic I can see is that Bowser is warning Mario that his doom may be (falsely) imminent (hence used in a negative sense)? --ShaneM

Sik

Post by Sik » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:40 pm

I see a 404 there ( ・・)

ShaneM

Post by ShaneM » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:12 pm

Sik wrote:I see a 404 there ( ・・)
Hmm. It worked for me. But here, try this attachment.
Attachments
8-2.png
8-2.png (10.23 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
Last edited by ShaneM on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

koitsu

Post by koitsu » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:15 pm

I don't see any reason to question the design of the blocks. It just looks like a pattern of the author's choice. Rephrased: people see what they want to see.

ShaneM

Post by ShaneM » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:19 pm

koitsu wrote:I don't see any reason to question the design of the blocks. It just looks like a pattern of the author's choice. Rephrased: people see what they want to see.
The only reason it doesn't look the way Espozo did it earlier is because if the sign was completely done, it wouldn't show because only so many objects can be on the same Y axis. I really can't see what else that shape could represent. I don't see it as a trademark or mascot of any sort belonging to Hudson.

I'm sort of offended by the symbol because I know a lot of Jewish people and they are really smart people. What Hittler did to them was so cruel that I can't even look at that symbol without scorning it. I've seen pictures of children that were being experimented on by Hitler and they were so skinny that you can literally see all of their bones. That's why I quit this project. But I understand it can also have other meanings, too. --ShaneM
Last edited by ShaneM on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:20 pm

Comparing those blocks to a swastika is like saying that a column of blocks looks like a dick.

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:25 pm

It's not a swastika. Not even slightly.

ShaneM

Post by ShaneM » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:27 pm

rainwarrior wrote:It's not a swastika. Not even slightly.

Then please tell me what it is. I think it's clear it was meant to be a design of some sort at the end of the water segment. I can only see a swastika. What is it, then?

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:32 pm

It's just a pattern of blocks with 90 degree rotational symmetry. Why would it have to represent anything?

Does the rectangle of blocks to the left with coins and seaweed hanging off represent something?

I don't understand the need to assign any representational meaning to it at all. It's just a pattern, created to fill up space because the designer was bored.

koitsu

Post by koitsu » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:43 pm

Like I said, I think you're seeing what you want to see. Stop being offended (NSFW).

I've seen lots of things in video games (e.g. shurikens, fireballs, etc.), and in art (see tepples' post), that look similar to what's depicted. I see no "secret Nazi paraphernalia".

How do you feel about 卍PSY幽記 (Manji: Psy Yuuki) (which Yuzo KOSHIRO composed the music for), or even closer to home, what Bionic Commando was actually about?

This is all pretty ridiculous. We're a pretty diverse bunch here (and on #nesdev), but so far I think there's pretty much universal agreement that the block layout depicted is not offensive, nor was it ever intended to be.

So to answer your question -- which is in the Subject of this thread -- no, it is not what you think it is. It's either just a cute layout of blocks, or is intended to depict a manji (卍). It is not a Nazi swastika. I'd link you the incredibly informative Wikipedia article on the origin of the symbol, except I'm not sure you'd actually read it, simply because the article is titled "Swastika". The symbol has an amazing (positive) history -- Hitler's use of it is just one (very negative) part of history. And while I condemn what happened during World War II like most people, I don't think the world is filled with rainbows and unicorns.

Put down your gloves, open your mind, and read about the history of something. It sounds ridiculous or cliche, I know, but broaden your horizons a bit. Mario didn't write Mein Kampf.

Asaki

Post by Asaki » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:44 pm

Are you okay?

I didn't see anything even vaguely resembling a swastika until I scrolled down to the second post, but that was clearly a manji and not a swastika (ignorant people don't know the difference, though).

Inhale, count to ten, then slowly exhale. Have a cup of tea and relax. Everything is fine.

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:48 pm

If it reminded me of anything, it would be a variant houndstooth stitching pattern.

Really though, it just reminds me of a tired employee who has a lot of levels to make before they can go home.

Asaki

Post by Asaki » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:50 pm

koitsu wrote:Mario didn't write Mein Kampf.
You're right.

koitsu

Post by koitsu » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:55 pm

tokumaru wrote:Comparing those blocks to a swastika is like saying that a column of blocks looks like a dick.
Hey, you never know... ;-) (Yes this is a real game / real title screen, but I'm just linking to it given the context + to make people laugh)