Subpixel movement of pixel art on modern platforms

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Sik

Re: Subpixel movement of pixel art on modern platforms

Post by Sik »

Just drawn like that.

GS Mikami does it as well, using mosaic this time. Scrolling is done as usual which means it looks like "wobble" as you move around. Honestly it's more likely done like that to hide the fact they used the same pattern for the background and the foreground though...
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Sik wrote:GS Mikami does it as well, using mosaic this time. Scrolling is done as usual which means it looks like "wobble" as you move around. Honestly it's more likely done like that to hide the fact they used the same pattern for the background and the foreground though...
Oh, that's interesting! Given that it only does it in the part of the level with the waterfall, and those tiles are used without mosaic elsewhere, I would actually guess that the attempt was to use the shimmering effect of the mosaic aliasing to represent mist from the waterfall. Very odd!
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

rainwarrior wrote:I just ran across this game for Genesis, Marko's Magic Football.

Take a look at the layers behind or in front of the action. The tiles have half the normal resolution, it looks like. I think they did this to hint at a depth-of-field out of focus effect. Kind of a neat reason to mix resolutions, (Is it a hardware feature or did they just draw the tiles that way?)
It's not a direct hardware feature - either the tiles were stored that way (weird choice) or were made that way in software (also weird choice).

can we get a thread where we discuss the sound effect samples in that game
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Well, with VRAM, tiles at half resolution like that could take up 1/4 the space if you have a little time to decompress them before the upload to VRAM, so there's a practical benefit on top of the fake "depth of field" idea it might be doing.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

I think it looks fine for closer foregrounds and it kind of gives of the "superscaller" vibe, but It looks odd in the background. It's like some weird games where the background actually scrolls faster than the foreground. It freaks me out.