It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:25 pm 
Formerly Espozo

rainwarrior wrote:
That's the business model of a lot of companies, really, where the service costs are where they make their real profit.

Maybe fast food restaurants could start to hire engineers. :lol:

But yeah, I've never been in the back of any sort of restaurant before. Actually, I've been in the back of a Papa Johns once.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:52 pm 

Just gonna say:
http://www.techinsider.io/wendys-worker ... ots-2016-5

And yeah, it's related to rising wages. Instead of raising the wages they'd rather replace employees with computers. Of course now you have some people using it to make fun of those who wanted higher wages.

rainwarrior wrote:
(e.g. pizza delivery via website order form seems to work great)

To be fair, that's because usually you'd just call over phone and the store owner would take the call, and a website is just replacing the phone call with sending a form (somebody still needs to check it), so it's not like anything was lost here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:12 pm 

What's lost is that some restaurants are making remote ordering available only to smartphone users by allowing orders to be placed through an iOS or Android app but not through the web.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:39 pm 

A phone call wouldn't give you the web option either =P

Although I did notice the trend of making apps instead of sites (to the point that a lot of new services are smartphone-only and rely on your phone number instead of making an account, with PC support if any being an afterthought and you need the phone just to sign up - Discord being a notable exception). Some people are really set on killing off PCs for real. But I guess that's another topic. I also wonder if this is why Google bought Android, now searching apps may be even more important than searching sites.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:26 pm 

Punch wrote:
I'd better learn how to make bread or fix a car, because there's no way I will be able to wrap my mind around this once real quantum computers are viable. :cry:

I started reading Quantum Computing and Quantum Information just "for fun", and what do you know, I get it* now! I really believe this is going to be the future and a viable quantum computer will be a major milestone for human civilization. Maybe we'll be better equipped to go one level up in the Kardashev scale by then.

*get it: barely understand a limited set of concepts regarding quantum computing. Wasn't Feynman who said that "if you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics"? :lol: