Dendy Chronicles - a NES-related web series

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Shiru

Dendy Chronicles - a NES-related web series

Post by Shiru »

Dendy Chronicles is a web series that tells story of unlicensed NES clones, known as Dendy, in Russia in 1990s and about games for it.

Kinaman is a 23 years old russian guy and a retro gamer. He started to make retro video games reviews just recently, and already gained some local popularity. Some people call him 'russian video game nerd' and make related jokes, well, he is for sure. What makes him different from other local VG reviewers is the things he is talking about. Instead of just swearing all the time, he reminds us how crazy early console gaming experience was in Russia in the past. Major reason why I like to watch reviews of popular english-speaking VG reviewers is that they show me sort of an alternative reality, because here things were very different. I think it could be interesting for people outside of Russia to see an alternative reality too, that's why I decided to make english subtitles for Kinaman's videos.

First three episoded dedicated to all the games about Mario that were released for Dendy. There are a bit more games than you could expect.

Episode #1 - Super Mario part 1
Episode #2 - Super Mario part 2
Episode #3 - Super Mario part 3
Episode #4 - Ghostly Village
Episode #5 - The Lion King

See also:

The Curse of the Gray Elephant (translated by DeniSS, CamaroSS, and Sobol14)
A blooper from previous video
An extra scene from previous video

How to use subtitles in YouTube player:

You can enable them with the CC button at the bottom right, or, in case of the embed player, with the triangle button at the bottom right and then with CC button in the pop-up menu.

To make subtitles background opaque that makes them easier to read, press B button on the keyboard. You also can change font size with +/- button, and there are other settings available under the CC button.
Last edited by Shiru on Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:33 am, edited 8 times in total.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Disappointed by the lack of M.C. Mario.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

Don't worry, there are two more episodes about Mario games, M.C. Mario is there.
IvanDSM

Post by IvanDSM »

Very good series! I'm willing to see Super Mario Bros. 2 subtitled! Also, does anyone know somewhere i could buy "2"?
I can't think of something cool to put here.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

I got half way through the first one, very cool! Great videos, it was a heck of a lot different in Russia, but you hearing the US stories must be cool because they're all very different from yours. :)
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

I watched the complete episode and I liked it.

It people want to see a Japanese perspective there are the game center CX which are quite interesting when they talk about history of specific game companies. But this is a commercial TV show so sometime you have to take it with a grain of salt.
Grumskiz

Post by Grumskiz »

That was great!
Hope the rest will get translated soon :3
thefox

Post by thefox »

Watched the first episode, good stuff. Thanks for the translation.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Do Russians come out of the womb deadpan?
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

While translation of next episodes is in progress, you can watch similar but earlier Kinaman's work - 'The Curse of the Gray Elephant', an hour-long video, practically a feature, that is focused on the Dendy thing in general. It contains much more swearing, though. English subtitles by DeniSS, CamaroSS, and Sobol14. They need a bit of proofreading, hope this will be done soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJQr3tnjHlg
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

LOL @ Chinese pirates... At 04:46 there's a distorted picture of Pegasus Seiya from the cover of volume 14 of the Saint Seiya manga, but he's wearing part of Virgo Shaka's armor (or "Cloth", as the armors are called in the series) and holding a light gun! I never thought they would promote Famiclones with that! Although there are 2 official Saint Seiya games for the Famicom...
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Shiru wrote:English subtitles by DeniSS, CamaroSS, and Sobol14. They need a bit of proofreading, hope this will be done soon.
FWIW, the English subs are sufficient about 90% of the time. Lots of grammatical mistakes, typos, and some phrases that could be rewritten to sound more eloquent -- if they need help cleaning them up, please let me know and I'll be happy to do the editing! -- but overall it was over an hour of total enjoyment for me. (Oh, and my Russian is really, *really* bad, but there are certain sentences I can understand which I could translate better I guess; I sure as hell couldn't translate the entire thing!!!). For example, the caption "Stolichnaya" (Столичная) should just read "(Stoli; Russian vodka)", because here in the US those small bottles are usually samplers, and contain different kinds of alcohols. I doubt anyone would know what Stolichnaya is...

This gives me a lot of insight to what Landy (of LandyNES) went through. In fact, just moments after starting the video, I sent him an Email with said Youtube link. I'm certain it will put a big smile on his face. :-)

But thank you for the links -- I had a wonderful time watching these.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

Actually, I corrected typos (not grammatics, though) in The Curse of the Gray Elephant and sent that version to Kinaman yesterday, but he haven't updated it (yet). I'm sure there is much more that is possible to improve.
mic_

Post by mic_ »

Very entertaining and informative. Playing pirated Famicom games in black & white in mid 1990s.. that's devotion.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

I really liked the "curse" too. It was really enjoyable. I can't wait to see the other ones. It's a shame that I cannot understand it without subtitles since there must be some subtleties that we lost because of the translation or cultural differences.