NovaCon 2019 / NESdev midwest meetup (July 20th?)

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

NovaSquirrel

NovaCon 2019 / NESdev midwest meetup (July 20th?)

Post by NovaSquirrel »

In 2016 I had tepples, darryl.revok, and FL4SHK over for a day, and there was pizza, the debut of Quadruple Action Blaster Guys, some other Four Score games, and some other general video gaming. I kinda want to do that again, but with more people if there's interest? I've noticed there's at least several other nesdev people in the midwest US.

It'd probably be during a weekend in the summer, and in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I can serve homemade pizzas or get Little Caesars or something.

Activity plans/ideas:
  • Nova the Squirrel (hopefully) completed and playable
  • play homebrew games and show off yours
  • Four Score games
  • Bomberman (II, Mega, Party Edition, 64)
  • losing to me in Pokémon Puzzle League
  • four player Duck Game
  • anything else that sounds fun, especially retro-gaming related
"Guaranteed" attendance is FL4SHK (whose availability will determine when it can be) and tepples (who I can drag over from next door). Anyone else interested?

edit: To make it clear, this is a non-alcohol and non-smoking event. Be sober.
Last edited by NovaSquirrel on Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tepples

Re: NovaCon 2018 / NESdev midwest meetup

Post by tepples »

Homebrew that will appear at this year's con:
  • Haunted: Halloween '85
  • Haunted: Halloween '86 (The Curse of Possum Hollow)
  • Lizard
  • Eskimo Bob
  • All four volumes of Action 53
Homebrew that will not appear:
  • Anything alcoholic
This year, due to a slight change in living arrangements, we may have two rooms available.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

Sounds like a lot of fun! I'd like to try to make it but we'll see what happens.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

I can't make any promises, but I'd really like to come and I'll do what I can to make it over there. The sooner there's a set date the better, to avoid potential scheduling conflicts. I can bring my collection of homebrew oddities and prototypes. Sounds like fun. I can chip in some money for food and stuff.
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

Memblers wrote:The sooner there's a set date the better, to avoid potential scheduling conflicts.
Got a favorite Saturday in June you'd prefer? I feel like Saturday's probably the best weekend day since people are likely to be free the entire day, but aside from that I don't think either FL4SHK or I have any reason to prefer any over any other.
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

Since June is in a little over a month, we really should pick a definite Saturday for this.
NovaSquirrel

Re: NovaCon 2018 / NESdev midwest meetup (June 16th)

Post by NovaSquirrel »

Unless something comes up, the date for NovaCon is June 16th!

Please send me a PM if you intend to come, and I can give you the address, and know how many pizzas to get ingredients for.
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

Usually work Saturdays. Count me in as a maybe. Can bring over prototypes and oddities too. May bring over guitar and laptop. Maybe we can have NerdTracker and FamiTracker jam sessions.

Would be cool if we can talk kev and his manfriend in hanging out too.
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

B00daW wrote:Usually work Saturdays. Count me in as a maybe. Can bring over prototypes and oddities too. May bring over guitar and laptop. Maybe we can have NerdTracker and FamiTracker jam sessions.

Would be cool if we can talk kev and his manfriend in hanging out too.
I think there actually will be a few people who are into trackers there. I think Memblers was gonna try and talk kev into going too.

That's about 8 people total so far (and presumably 6 cars)? I think there's room for parking, both around my house and in a parking lot near the house.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

I'm planing to take public transportation there.

I can get to the location as far as Waterloo Indiana, but I can't find a route to the rest of the way except by Uber.
If anyone knows of some other public transportation option (or is willing to drive me there themselves) reply or PM me. Thanks :)
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

JRoatch wrote:If anyone knows of some other public transportation option (or is willing to drive me there themselves) reply or PM me. Thanks :)
I think almost everyone that's not already in Fort Wayne is driving from south up to here, which would make it on the way rather than a 1 hour round trip from here. I'll poke some people.

---

It looks like attendance is gonna be about 6 or 7? I don't think there's any real start or stop time since unlike a real convention there aren't any scheduled events, just really more of a "let's do whatever sounds fun"; FL4SHK is staying the night before so he, Tepples, and I will already be there no matter when you arrive. I would probably target noon or 1 PM though, or just the afternoon in general. If anyone needs the address still they can PM me since I don't feel comfortable putting it out in public record anywhere.

Reminder that this isn't a place to drink or smoke, though I guess if you need to smoke you can do it outside away from the house.
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

NovaCon turned out to be great and a bunch of people showed up (I think there were 8 people total at the peak?)

A summary:
  • Homemade pizzas - They were a hit! Memblers also brought chips and dip
  • Nova the Squirrel (hopefully) completed and playable - A few people played up to level 2-4, passing the controller around
  • play homebrew games and show off yours - Tepples got to show off tons of his projects, and people played Lizard, Haunted, the demo for Nebs & Debs, and Memblers brought a big box of homebrew games and I tried Twin Dragons
  • Four Score games - QABG was not played, though it was mentioned
  • Bomberman (II, Mega, Party Edition, 64) - no Bomberman was played
  • losing to me in Pokémon Puzzle League
  • four player Duck Game - Two player, and Ultimate Chicken Horse too
  • anything else that sounds fun, especially retro-gaming related - Wyatt brought Custom Robo for Nintendo 64 and his Famicom
I'd love to do this again sometime.
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

Wow, there was a NESdev event? Too bad all the epic events take place in America while I'm in Croatia. Did you make any recordings/pictures of the event while you were there? I'd love to see.
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

8bitMicroGuy wrote:Did you make any recordings/pictures of the event while you were there? I'd love to see.
I did take a few, though I'd want to get permission of the people that were in them before I post them because I didn't really ask when I took them, and most of them are not particularly good photos. There are a few without a random leg in the corner that I'd like to post though.

Here's some Lizard. I think the idea was to have a race, but the big screen was running the official release and the CRT was running a beta so it probably wouldn't have been super fair to race different versions.
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

I see. Please send me a private message when you get the permission or just post the pictures here.