Possible compromise(s) when switching to a *nix based system

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

lidnariq

Re: Possible compromise(s) when switching to a *nix based sy

Post by lidnariq »

Aptitude is mostly-abandoned and its solver is about 20% broken.

Which is unfortunate, because it's my favorite UI.

In practice, I try to use aptitude to take updates, and if its solver has problems then I use apt-get or plain apt.

(FWIW, I run Debian Sid and am pleased by it)
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

For the programs that have to run under windows I may need a guest windows xp for them (my eeprom burner never got an update..). Should it be ok with qemu? I never used it before so I don't know what to expect. I could use virtualbox but I try to avoid software from the current owner ^_^; let's just say that I don't like their business practices.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

I am not thrilled at all about VirtualBox's owner, but I have been using it just fine with a bunch of older WinXP-requiring programs.

The time I tried all the virtualization options, qemu's video emulation was painfully slow.

Paying a little bit for VMware might be worth it.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

I'm using it all the time at work, it's just that I'm trying to find an alternative. If they could change owner like they did for open office.. It would make my day :lol:

Regarding vmware, I thought the player was free except for fusion?
freem

Post by freem »

VMWare Player is free; it's the only thing that I know of that'll accept my parallel port Zip drive, so hopefully it'll work with your eeprom burner.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

tepples wrote:Nintendulator is rumored to work in Wine except for problems with its input configuration dialog, though I haven't tested it.
Just for fun, I tested the latest 32-bit build on my Ubuntu VM and confirmed that the configuration dialog wasn't working (at least for keyboard and mouse input). Fortunately, I was able to fix it by adding 2 lines of code (to process window messages when it waits for you to press a key) - for whatever reason, Wine's implementation of DirectInput seems to have some flaws, at least in the version I was using.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

FWIW, the newest version of wine in debian (package wine-development version 1.9.8) it works correctly without that additional change.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Quietust wrote:Fortunately, I was able to fix [Nintendulator's input configuration in Wine] by adding 2 lines of code (to process window messages when it waits for you to press a key)
Thank you. Even if newer Wine has a fix for this, it's still a good idea to add a bit of belt-and-suspenders redundancy, especially for users on long-term-supported distributions that might be stuck with a 6- to 30-month-old version of Wine.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

I had this issue while testing nintendulator on mac osx with winebottler but didn't know the cause. Must be the same bug. The dev version was using wine 1.8.

Thank you for fixing that bug. I will see if I can test it again once I reinstall wine.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

pubby wrote:
3gengames wrote:1. Aur: This hosts tons of scripts to automatically compile and install software. Great for powerful hardware, terrible for lower end machines.
AUR hosts precompiled binaries too though, and cc65 is a good example of this; it has two packages: one pre-built and one that compiles from git. I hope people aren't getting the idea that Arch involves compiling tons of things from source, as that's really not the case nor is it the point.
Well, that's a very rare case, as 99% of the stuff in the AUR is build scripts for source code. Pre-compiled items usually should be in extra/ and not the AUR, but I guess it doesn't have enough clout to where that's how it's done for CC65.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Latest version of nintendulor is working fine with wine bottler 1.8 rc4 on mac osx.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Just so that everyone knowns, I just tried Cinneamon desktop. It looks a lot more Windows-like than other more popular desktops (such as Gnome, KDE, LXDE/XFCE and Unity), so if you aim to have a Windows-like desktop, Cinneamon is definitely your choice. Personally I like it a lot more than all the other desktops I mentionned there.

Cinneamon is GNOME-based and uses Gnome libraries, but have an interface which is much more Windows-like. I have to say it is my personal favourite among the desktops I have yet tried on Linux.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Cinnamon, XFCE, and MATE can all be configured to be Windows-Like. By default, they're just not. But if you run Linux Mint, you'll find all the desktop versions are pretty much the same, just with different effects. Ubuntu have 3 versions with Unity, Mate, and Gnome, all three which can look pretty much the same with configuration. Tying why you should use a Linux desktop to the interface rather than the actual distro is the exact opposite thing you're supposed to do, as nearly all desktop environments can be made to feel that same way.

Plus, as a Linux-only gamer, Cinnamon has absolutely abysmal performance for gaming because it features baked-in custom compositor. It's basically unusable. If it works good on your device for light stuff, it's fine. But it usually is pretty bad when using non-mobile, modern hardware.
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

Linux can be used without a desktop environment. I use Linux with a window manager but not a desktop environment. (In my opinion the desktop environment mainly just gets in the way, so I have uninstalled it.)
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Lxde and xfce can look very similar to windows when configured properly. If you look at manjaro 16.06, you would never know that it was xfce.

I got one partition with fedora working but no luck with the 3g dongle. It sees it but fail to connect. No error message except failed in logs so cannot do much. It's a dongle from japan and old so I cannot find much info on the subject.

My only way to use it would be to start the internet in a guest vm then share it but my lack of experience in linux networking is the roadblock right now. I set a host only adapter in virtual box and xp/fedora seems to see each other but I don't know how to access the internet from the guest with the current host settings. I have that annoying compromise until I switch internet at a later stage.

I think the xp vm side is fine since I did share in the past from an xp netbook and used similar settings. Anybody got any experience in sharing the internet access of the guest vm?