That specific sprite style in early NES games

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

DRW

Re: That specific sprite style in early NES games

Post by DRW »

Espozo wrote:
DRW wrote:Calm down, you drama queen.
You know who you're talking to, right?
Actually no. And I don't care who he is. My answer is based on his statements. It doesn't matter to me if he's some user with a two post account or an administrator or the best programmer in the world. This doesn't automatically mean that he has specific competence in any other topic.
Espozo wrote:A word of advice: no one here cares about light conversation.
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know that any topic on this ancient forum of wisdom needs to be a philosophical dispute.
Espozo wrote:By how you keep insulting people for not fully understanding you
I didn't insult him for not fully understanding me. The only insult was "drama queen" and it was more than justified after his childish "The window of opportunities offered are now closed" nonsense. Yeah, now he totally got me: Denying me something that I didn't want in the first place.

Why are you always so thin-skinned? Valid criticism is all rudeness and insults to you.
Because of that, I already made the decision that I will never ever give any suggestions anymore if somebody presents his homebrew game and asks for opinions. Because if my feedback isn't 100 % positive or if my feedback is a bit negative and someone argues against my negative feedback and I (Shock!) dare to answer the objections, then I'm automatically the rude, insulting asshole.

Sorry, if that offends you, but I'm not some person who would praise a fucking "Minesweeper" port for the NES as if it was the next "A Link to the Past".

And if someone keeps misunderstanding me despite me giving explicit explanations (If I say "Tennis" and "Kung Fu" share a style that "Gyromite" and "Urban Champion" don't share then I'm obviously not talking about the fucking box artwork since "Gyromite" and "Urban Champion" do share the same box style) and he even arrogantly suggests things like "I think you should try playing the games I listed", as if I have never heard of the first NES games ever and if he keeps suggesting childish stuff like "Why don't you ask Nintendo?", then I don't go easy on him.

The fact that he might be something special even works against him in this case. Because the amateur can get away with these kinds of mistakes. The pro cannot.
If a three year old boy tells me: "Why don't you ask Nintendo about this? I'm sure Mr. Mario will help you", then I pad his head and smile and say "O.k." But if an adult person suggests me to bother the biggest video game developer in the world with such trivial, obscure questions and seriously expect a meaningful answer from them, that's just ridiculous.

I'm sure any of you will close this thread now, right?
Last edited by DRW on Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
tepples

Post by tepples »

I too am interested in the motivations behind particular art styles, but I'm not interested in this drama. I'm of half a mind to lock the topic, summarize what isn't drama, and start the topic over.
DRW

Post by DRW »

tepples wrote:I too am interested in the motivations behind particular art styles, but I'm not interested in this drama.
Me neither. But I wouldn't start this thread again.
My game "City Trouble":
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Ready for lock.
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

Just something to consider: If someone finds themself frequently misunderstood, the problem is probably their own presentation and not the rest of the world. Being specific isn't the only thing needed to be understood.
Drag

Post by Drag »

The NesDev community is bad at communication, full stop. Whenever you feel insulted by what someone says or doesn't say, just remember that we're mostly programmers and nerds who don't have the same social skills as, say, public speakers or school teachers. One thing you all can improve on though, you don't need to lace your arguments with sarcasm and light insults, because that's you saying "I don't care what you're saying to me right now". If someone is getting the wrong idea from your post, there are more polite ways to clarify what you're saying, and if it feels like everyone's dismissing you when you're trying to be helpful, take a look at the topic presented again and see if there's a misunderstanding. If you feel like you're being ignored, keep in mind that there isn't always anything useful to reply with, and lots of people around here would rather not reply than reply with a short acknowledgement of having read your post.

(I was about to make an on-topic post, but I'll wait for whatever split/new thread)
DRW

Post by DRW »

Kasumi wrote:Just something to consider: If someone finds themself frequently misunderstood, the problem is probably their own presentation and not the rest of the world. Being specific isn't the only thing needed to be understood.
We need to distinguish here:

Misunderstanding in the factual way like: "He didn't understand what I meant with "sprite style". He thought I was referring to some box arts."
But that's not something where I'm frequently misunderstood. This one was really the only time where I wrote a thread and somebody completely missed the point. It's not that I constantly write threads where people don't know what my descriptions actually mean.
So, no. I'm not to blame here. I still stand by my opinion: Reading the original post makes it clear that I'm not asking the question "Why do so many games have pixelated box artwork?" The misunderstanding was a singular mistake by one individual person.

Misunderstanding in the emotional way like: "I used valid criticism, but they immediately interpreted it as rudeness and insults."
And in this case I already flat-out admitted that I'm not the friendliest person. I'm aware that I can be hard. If somebody says "Ask Nintendo", I don't say "Thanks for your help", I say: "Are you fucking kidding me?"
So? That's life. We all have our specific traits. Don't be such pussies and deal with it. Or ignore all non-programming posts of mine. Your choice.
My game "City Trouble":
tepples

Post by tepples »

I'll attempt a reboot in NES Graphics. If that goes full drama, then I don't know what to do.