Nintendo Switch

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

calima

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by calima »

tepples wrote: Which assumptions in my article "Consoles are easy" no longer hold?
Your site shows "Internal error, cannot connect to database".
tepples

Post by tepples »

Click reload. Does it still fall?
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I have no problems loading pineight.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

I'm not having any problems either.
calima

Post by calima »

Works now. I did reload a few times back then.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

I agree with Tepples. Although some games get out on physical media incomplete and need a multi gigabyte update from day 1, consoles are far more easier to use to play games than a PC, and have no background processes.
I'm almost like Tokumaru, just my last console was a Wii.
I bought mainly because my daughter just loved Mario and Kirby, but I end up playing Metroid Other M and RE Darkside Chronicles. :-)
I have not played much on PS2 either... looks like I have more fun with games that I first played as a kid.
On new games I mostly end up impressed by the graphics and sound, but soon get bored by the gameplay. :-(
Maybe I should visit a psychiatric...
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

Fisher wrote:On new games I mostly end up impressed by the graphics and sound, but soon get bored by the gameplay. :-(
Current-gen games in a nutshell. My newest system is a Wii, but I think of the GameCube as the last 'good' console. I enjoyed Melee and Double Dash much more than their sequels, for instance, and most of the games I liked on the Wii are ports from older consoles (Ookami, Pikmin, Metroid Prime, Twilight Princess...) anyway.

I'm thinking of getting a Wii U now that it's on its way out, if only to play Xenoblade Chronicles X (I'm a Xeno-series addict). Any other Wii U games that aren't a waste of money?
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Rahsennor wrote:I enjoyed Melee and Double Dash much more than their sequels, for instance
...and in the case of F-Zero GX, you're not going to find one. :lol: Anything after Super Monkey Ball 2 might as well not exist.
Rahsennor wrote:Any other Wii U games that aren't a waste of money?
Splatoon. Literally the only reason I got a Wii U, and I've played it easily 5x as much as any other Wii U game I own. Super Smash Bros 4 is good for multiplayer, but the single player is abysmal and you're honestly just better off playing Melee. Mario Kart 8 is okay, but I got F-Zero GX slightly after it and I never came back (much better game). If you've played New Super Mario Bros before, you've played them all, so there's little to no reason to get New Super Mario Bros. U, but Super Mario 3D world is actually pretty fun and I'd say the best Super Mario Bros game since Galaxy 2. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is like Donkey Kong Country Returns but actually feels like a different enough experience (unlike the New Super Mario Bros. games) to be enjoyable even if you've played the first, and forgetting about uniqueness, is a better game, although I haven't fully beaten it. (Any time I feel like playing my Wii U, which isn't often because I have my already fairly limited free time divided, I usually feel like playing Splatoon.) The last game I own is Nintendo Land (which came with it) and I kid you not, I probably only spent 3 hours with it total (compared to 500+ with Splatoon). I wanted to get Star Fox Zero, but I know I'd never get to playing it.

But yeah, Definitely Splatoon, and maybe Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I love Mario 3D World. I think it's the first 3D Mario with good controls (along with 3D Land on the DS). It doesn't quite have the rich bizarreness of Mario 64, but it's very good 3D platforming, and does a lot to keep it fresh through to the end.

Mario Maker and Splatoon are the two big ones for the Wii U.

Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros are both very good for when you have friends around.

Yoshi's Woolly World is very pleasant, not too difficult. Bayonetta 2 is a good action game. The Wind Waker HD remake is a better version of Wind Waker (a good Zelda if you haven't played it before). DK Tropical Freeze is pretty good, gets quite challenging by the end.

I even liked Star Fox Zero a fair bit once I got past the awful controls.

I never had an N64 / GC / Wii so there's a big backlog of Wii and Virtual Console stuff I wanted to play on this, so that added a lot of value to it for me that probably a lot of people wouldn't get out of their Wii U.

(Similarly, the Switch doesn't seem very appealing to me on its own. The Wii U pad is the worst part of the Wii U, and it seems to double down on that without offering much else.)

Post by 93143 »

I don't actually have a Wii U (my little brother has one, mainly for Smash 4 I expect), but I hear Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Paper Mario: Color Splash, Rayman Legends, Super Mario Maker and FAST Racing NEO are good, in addition to the ones already mentioned above. There are more highly rated games than just these, of course; at some point it's a matter of what your tastes are.

Star Fox Zero got a lot of backlash for the dual-screen gyro scheme, but a lot of people seem to like it once it clicks (which seems to take on the order of ~40 minutes or so).
calima

Post by calima »

Rahsennor wrote:only to play Xenoblade Chronicles X (I'm a Xeno-series addict). Any other Wii U games that aren't a waste of money?
Besides Xeno, I'm thinking of getting the new Paper Mario, I liked that series. Once I get a cheap WiiU, that is, may be after Switch's release.