It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:29 am
Posts: 482
Location: Denmark (PAL)
koitsu wrote:
So, it's a tablet with gaming controls that uses cartridges. How innovative. (Sarcasm level: 100%)

My biggest relief in all of this, was that it wasn't.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:38 pm
Posts: 1527
Location: Fukuoka, Japan
It gives me the same vibe as when I tried the Vita before launch at the Tokyo game show. It button seems small and the technology seems behind what smartphone was doing at the time. Right now it just a video but I have a bad feeling about it.

Nintendo mostly been targeting kids since the game cube and whatsoever but the video the have shown... No kids around. It shows situation that you should socialize instead of playing game. It make not much sense. I wouldn't buy that for my kids... They would destroy it in no time! The 3DS/2DS is still more kid proof than that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:35 pm
Posts: 3189
Location: Nacogdoches, Texas
Banshaku wrote:
the technology seems behind what smartphone was doing at the time.

Personally, with the Vita, I wasn't concerned about smartphones because all the games (except the ones by DotEmu :lol: ) suck. I don't care if a smartphone had as much power as the Tianhe 2, the games would still look bad because of the production values for mobile games. Similarly, I don't see the Switch as competing with tablets (Maybe other than a fairly small but powerful Surface Pro, in that we're talking about a PC now), but rather next generation home consoles. The Wii U was top for only like, a year. Because of Nintendo continuing their awkward release dates, this will also be able to compete with current consoles, but like I said, probably not Microsoft's next VCR. However, I hope people don't expect it to be considering it will be a fraction of the size. Taking into account that it's a portable, I think the hardware is perfectly adequate, more so than the Wii U was. It's also nice (for this) that graphics have really seem to plateaued out even if the hardware is getting better, although hardware hasn't. I guess that means the Switch could still be hurt, like how I really don't think games on the Xbox 360 before the Xbox One look much uglier at all than games on the Xbox One, despite the fact the Xbox One is something like 4x as powerful, but post Xbox One Xbox 360 games look like garbage, because they can't port over the exact same version and know that "people can't possibly expect the Xbox 360 to look as good as the Xbox One" and sloppily throw something together.

Banshaku wrote:
Nintendo mostly been targeting kids since the game cube

I thought it was more towards the Wii, because I don't see how the GameCube is any less "manly" than the N64, although I suppose the N64 wasn't purple and didn't have a handle. I tell you what though, Super Monkey Ball is no kids game! :lol:

Banshaku wrote:
the video the have shown... No kids around.

Nintendo has said that it's been trying to "redeem" itself from being too "kiddy" since the Wii (although the Wii U was a lame ass attempt). Basically, if they get 3rd party support, that's when it becomes less "kiddy". The Zelda game did seem a lot more like something that you'd find on the competing consoles though, not because of the violence, but because of the gameplay. If Nintendo is trying to push toward eSports as evidenced by the coliseum filled with people wanting to watch Splatoon (probably the most ridiculous part of the whole video) at the end of the video that would be another way they'd be trying to be more "hardcore". I think games are starting to go away from having everything be gray and brown (I'd say the peak was during the later half of the last console generation) in favor of more color.

R-Type II did it first.

Image

Banshaku wrote:
It shows situation that you should socialize instead of playing game.

You mean you wouldn't play a basket ball videogame around people actually playing basketball? (sarcasm)

Banshaku wrote:
I wouldn't buy that for my kids... They would destroy it in no time!

I mean, this thing is obviously not for your kids, right? (sarcasm again)



I just noticed, wow, that video took a giant nosedive in popularity. Hopefully that's not reflective of how the thing will sell.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:57 pm
Posts: 1248
As long as it's still got a strong Nintendo backing, I'm interested in it. Does anyone even call Nintendo "kiddy" anymore? The "Nintendo is trying to be less kiddy" defense comes up a lot, but I haven't seen anyone actually making that claim for a while now. If anything, it's used as just a "I had the choice between Sony, MS, or Nintendo but I could only buy one so therefore the one I got is the best one" justification.

The funny thing is that I've argued over and over that putting games on SD cards is perfectly fine, considering the alternatives of trying to do UMD all over again. Google says the maximum capacity for a blu-ray disc is 25gb, 50gb for dual layer. The best selling SD card on Amazon is 32gb, which is on par with a typical blu-ray disc. Storage wise, a big budget PS4 game could fit on an SD card of 32gb or 64gb. The capacity is there and affordable.

Speed-wise, the PS4's optical drive is 6x = 27mb/s. The same best selling SD card is C4 = 4mb/s minimum. The same manufacturer offers an UHS-I SD card with 32gb and speed class C10 (= 10mb/s minimum), advertising a max speed of 80mb/s. Also mentioned was that write speeds are lower than read speeds, and speeds depend on interfaces, devices, and environmental factors. If the lower write speed is why this card is only rated C10 instead of U3 (= 30mb/s minimum), then the read speed would be enough to be comparable to the PS4. Though, a U3 rated card would 100% match and surpass the PS4's read speed.

Since SD cards are meant for both high speed reads and writes, dropping the writes from the equation would simplify the technology involved. Writes would only be necessary to save game data, allowing read speeds to be concentrated on.

Finally, discs can be scratched easily, all it takes is to set them down on any surface, to grab them wrong, to hold them wrong, or to have a dirty optical reader. SD cards aren't without faults, but they sure seem to be more durable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:35 pm
Posts: 3189
Location: Nacogdoches, Texas
Drag wrote:
considering the alternatives of trying to do UMD all over again.

Yeah, that was a really stupid idea.

This is what we need :lol:

Image

In all seriousness though, do you have any clue how much of profit is made on SD cards? I can't imagine this thing would cost even close to $100. Obviously, we don't need anything near as powerful as this, I'm just being dumb.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:41 am 
Online

Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:12 am
Posts: 6641
Location: Seattle
Commodity products are almost always low margin. Even on bleeding-edge things like a UHS3 64GB card: the price is high because yield is low.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Posts: 19487
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
That and a lot of games would still fit on a dirt-cheap 16 GB card, for which I imagine yield is somewhat higher.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:31 pm
Posts: 824
Espozo wrote:
the coliseum filled with people wanting to watch Splatoon (probably the most ridiculous part of the whole video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LUpgu7aCTI

...

Also, I just realized that if there's an F-Zero for this thing (rumour has it the shoulder triggers are analogue), it could end up stomping on my nomenclature. I've got a bunch of ideas for an SA-1/MSU1-enhanced version on SNES, and I'd been assuming the name "F-Zero SX" was free...

Oh well... not like I was ever actually going to seriously tackle such an enormous (and copyright-infringing) project...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:35 pm
Posts: 3189
Location: Nacogdoches, Texas
93143 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LUpgu7aCTI

That event doesn't have quite the same turnout. :lol: (I mean damn, there were probably more people in the stadium than there are in North Dakota)

93143 wrote:
if there's an F-Zero for this thing

Pleeease be so! I want 30 person online multiplayer. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:38 pm
Posts: 1527
Location: Fukuoka, Japan
@Espozo

Maybe your view is from the US so you don't have the same opinion as I have. In Japan, the market for casual game was owned by nintendo until the arrival of smarphones. Now everyone have their phone so nobody see the use of such game. It quite obvious that they want to take back that market but I guess they don't understand the demographic at all.

People in Japan, casual gamer, they don't have time to play game so the only time they have left to do so it during the train ride to work. So the kind of game they are looking for are small time wasters while waiting for your station. Especially in Tokyo, trying to play portable games during rush hour is near impossible but a one handed smartphone game is still fine.

10 years ago you would see people with their DS or PSP playing monster hunter or whatever because it was the only thing available at the time. You could play games on your mobile phone but the game were awful because every manufacturers had their own ecosystem causing their own small walled garden with no compatibility between terminals. It was so fragmented that it was not worth publishing something on that. With the arrival of smartphone and F2P, this changed everything. The market in Japan for mobile game is now huge compared to other countries. These days except for kids with their parents, you don't see anybody with a 3DS/Vita/etc on the train: everybody plays on their phone. This is the path of least effort so people won't use anything else.

As for the WiiU... The sales in Japan are quite abysmal (better than xbone but this is another story..) and now the PS4 is gaining back a little bit shares compared to the 3DS but still the market is not that healthy. How does Nintendo make most of their profits? The 3DS with kids games. So by denigrating their main audience and trying to get back the older crowd that migrated to smarpthone and will not comeback their are shooting themselves in the foot.

In you keep in mind what I said about how the mobile game market is huge is japan, when Nintendo announced they would make mobile game on smartphone with DeNa (Mobile game company) their stock soared. People have being asking for Nintendo for a while to make games but they always refused to do so. Now with the Switch with something that seems fragile like hell they are targeting the people that won't come back and forgetting about their main audience,which are kids. I'm not saying that adults don't play wii/wiiu etc, I'm just telling that in Japan kids are their audience.

So for now with the current state of game in Japan, the Switch , a portable that nobody will use in the train anyway because of it size and everyone have a smarpthone... they will have a hard time in Japan to sell that. It may work in the US since people still remember Nintendo from the nes days but here... After the announcement, the stock dived for 2 days in a row.

TL DR:
Nintendo is targeting the wrong audience, the casual gamer in Japan won't come back from smartphone because mobile games in Japan are quite popular.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:29 am
Posts: 482
Location: Denmark (PAL)
On the other hand, if they were to target the casual audience, the Switch would be a terrible product.
I don't care about Nintendo's stocks. I care about getting a great video game platform.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:43 pm
Posts: 10229
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Sumez wrote:
I don't care about Nintendo's stocks. I care about getting a great video game platform.

Nintendo cares about its stocks. Nintendo doesn't care about what you care


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:29 am
Posts: 482
Location: Denmark (PAL)
All I'm saying is that whenever a company releases a new video game platform, people tend to be too busy trying to analyze what would be a good marketing strategy, rather than what they'd like to see for themselves. I don't see the point in arguing why it would be better for business to focus on making F2P casual mobile games, when we should be happy that they chose not to.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:35 pm
Posts: 3189
Location: Nacogdoches, Texas
@Banshaku

I do not get your argument. You're saying that Nintendo should focus more on casual games, even though you're also saying that smartphones have dominated the casual video game market? Also, what Japan wants is not what Nintendo wants. Despite being a Japanese company, like any company, Nintendo is more focused on making money than anything, and Japan has far less potential customers than the U.S., both because of the larger population of the U.S. and the overall decline of video games over there. I mean, hell, the PS4 came out in the U.S. before it came out in Japan. This isn't exclusive to video games either; Japanese brand cars are made in the U.S. and brought to Japan because much more are sold here.

Actually, a good, old example I can think of where a Japanese company was more focused on its foreign markets than its home country were the 1942 and 1943 video games... :lol:

tokumaru wrote:
Nintendo cares about its stocks. Nintendo doesn't care about what you care

I think Nintendo cares more about what its potential customers (like him, and also I who share the same oppinion) care about than its stocks. Reception for this has been surprisingly positive, despite the drop in stocks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:57 pm
Posts: 1248
Quote:
Nintendo cares about its stocks. Nintendo doesn't care about what you care

Not singling anyone out here, but this is too common of an argument. Yes, as a business, you have to make money or else you don't get to stay in the game. However, to say something like this implies that they're only in it for the money. Let's not forget that Iwata was there until he died, Miyamoto joined up there decades ago and is still there. It just feels like a pot shot when so many people can so casually dismiss someone's efforts as being passionless.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Erockbrox and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group