It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:02 pm 

I would rather say that game companies change stories and timelines whenever it's convenient for them, than create tortured stories by myself to make every misshapen piece fit together.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:38 am 

I'm not much into the details of the original Mario Bros., and I only ever played the arcade version. But from what I hear, the original Famicom release was lacking compared to the arcade game. There was a later re-release of the game on NES in the 90s (not sure if this came out in Japan as well) with new cover artwork with Mario and Luigi resembling their later refined designs post-SMB3. This release is supposedly closer to the arcade game due to some new additions to the game.

I haven't looked into what these additions are, but even if the two were developed simultanously, it makes it hard to believe the Famicom version was the "master" version.

I find it more likely that Luigi already had the green color, and they just ran into a problem on Famicom due to the limited palettes, and ended up reusing the turtle palette, forcing a few changes to the hues of the sprites, rather than actually deciding Luigi's color. Could be Miyamoto just remembered that as a fun story, but got the details wrong. After all, this was 33 years ago. I wouldn't be able to remember details about that stuff either.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:58 am 

You seem to be referring to a 1993 PAL only version called Mario Bros. (Classic Series)? It appears to have animated introductions when new monsters appear (as in the arcade, and missing from the earlier version), the turtle's shell seems to be larger, and there's an extra line or two on the pipes. Physics are improved too, with the ability to knock turtles over the edge instead of just straight up and down.

There might be other differences, but the sprites of Mario and Luigi seem to be identical, so I don't think it's actually different in any way related to Miyamoto's quoted statement.

I still don't think this concept of a "master" version is a useful notion here, but I don't have anything to add to my earlier post about that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:02 pm 

The enhanced PAL version was actually based off an earlier remake for the FDS in Japan.

It is not uncommon for games being developed concurrently for different systems. Personally, instead of considering one version as the 'master' I'd rather say the different development teams might work independently and cooperatively. Independently, either team may develop their own version based on the features and limitation of the system. Cooperatively, the different teams may occasionally discuss with and seek advices from each other, and agree on similarities or differences between the versions. They may have the idea of having one version as the 'master', but they may also don't have this idea. The point is, unless some 'insiders' tell us, everything is just speculation.

For the case of Mario Bros., that the originally Famicom version was inferior to the arcade version was obviously because, well, the Famicom was an inferior system in comparison (especially since it's an early game in the system people didn't have the experience and skills to make it better until later), so, working with the limitations of the two systems the two teams developed two versions of a game with the same basic premises but also different in some ways.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:20 pm 

Gilbert wrote:
The enhanced PAL version was actually based off an earlier remake for the FDS in Japan.

That's really interesting!