Work vs School

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Jayden Garrison

Work vs School

Post by Jayden Garrison »

Do you guys enjoy working more or going to school? (exclude the $ factor) And how do you guys spend your spare time?
GradualGames

Re: Work vs School

Post by GradualGames »

I didn't enjoy school at all. Work is okay. For some reason nearly 100% of the joy I get out of life is all in hobbies. At least I don't hate my job and there's little pressure to work more than 40h a week, so that's nice. I have a lot of peers for whom it often is 60h or more a week. I couldn't live that way, I'd rather make less money. Nearly all my spare time is making games or music.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I hated school when studying subjects that didn't interest me but liked it a lot when the subjects were cool. Work is kind of the same thing for me, but more often than not I have to do things I don't enjoy at all. When I'm employed I hardly ever have any free time, since overtime, commuting and taking care of my daughter and home takes away what would otherwise count as free time. When working from home things are a little better, specially if I get to pick the kind of work I'll do.

So, if I had to pick one, school was better than work, I guess.

My spare time goes mostly to programming and drawing. I also enjoy going out with family and friends.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

It depends what you mean by "school". School you are forced to follow until you're 15 or so was absolutely awful for me. The part after that (the equivalent of high school and the equivalent to university) I'd say overall I liked it, even though I obviously, by far not, liked everything. I especially liked that in uni you are not obligated to follow courses, and I sure used my right to skip courses a lot. Some uni professors are good at research but awful at teaching so that's definitely a problem, however some professors are great too.
I hated school when studying subjects that didn't interest me but liked it a lot when the subjects were cool.
Same here, also I'd add that I loved it when the teachers were great, and hated it when they sucked. It might sound obvious, but I still can't believe how huge of a difference this makes.

As for work I must admit it's not something I enjoy with passion, but I guess I'm lucky with the work I currently have, I'm quite free and have lot of independance, so it's fine. The value of a stable salary is immense, I cannot stress that enough. If I had one of those stricter workplaces where you have to dress in suit everyday, and have to arrive on time everyday, and are expected to do overtime, and where working tools such as programming languages or software are imposed to you, I'd admit I'd enjoy it a lot less.
And how do you guys spend your spare time?
I'm wasting my time answering questions asked by people I don't even know on the internet :p
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

And how do you guys spend your spare time?
I'm wasting my time answering questions asked by people I don't even know on the internet :p
Your generosity and the generosity of so many on this site have enriched my life beyond compare. I doubt I'd ever be able to adequately thank you all. So from my perspective, it certainly wasn't wasted time, and I deeply appreciate it. Even if you specifically Bregalad are a bit of a grump on occasion :wink:
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

School for me was horrible because I was forced to interact with unbearable people (most other students, some were nice). Other than that I prefered school over working. Nothing beats having no bills to pay. :lol:
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
Garth

Post by Garth »

GradualGames wrote:I didn't enjoy school at all. [...]I have a lot of peers for whom it often is 60h or more a week. I couldn't live that way. I'd rather make less money.
I kind of have to learn things my own way. The academic world mostly (although not entirely) fails to understand this, and imposes one method on the entire class. Also, teachers are seldom introverts, and they don't understand us, and in grade school they treat introversion (I'm not talking about shyness) as some sort of disorder that must be remedied, and they grade you down on class participation, not working well in groups, etc., instead of taking advantage of the strengths that come with introversion. Yeah, I hated school.
If I had one of those stricter workplaces where you have to dress in suit every day, [,,,] and are expected to do overtime, and where working tools such as programming languages or software are imposed to you, I'd admit I'd enjoy it a lot less.
Same here. I'd rather push a broom and stock shelves. Since 1985 though, I've worked for two tiny companies where I was usually the entire engineering department, and no one was telling me how to do my job.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources
Sogona

Post by Sogona »

I've been working part time this summer to save up as much as I can before I head off to college again for the fall. The work environment and banter between everyone is pretty fun honestly. As others have said, school is fun when you're learning things you actually want to learn. Otherwise it's grueling.
Jayden Garrison

Wow most of the stuff mentioned here are exactly what I thought. My dad always told me to cherish the "relationship" with school. At least I could skip lectures and have fun with friends. After that, we cannot skip work and we have to pay the bills LOL. SAD~~
Jayden Garrison

Oh and I also wonder like how do you guys handle the stress? I am sure you have a lot of stress when working and you have family to spend time with. Do you guys feel like exploding due to the stress at some point?
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

School was awfull to me on the first years, mainly because of my different name for my country's culture.
I was like a problem child, who just get really pissed off with the jokes and oftem were involved in fights.
The things changed when I started to laugh instead of being angry with my name's jokes.
The 7th and 8th year were very nice to me, so was the 2nd degree (I think it's the similar to the high school... I have no idea of how to say this in english)
In the end it was really good, I learned that with some teachers you need to answer what they are specting you to answer, and not what you really think. The difficult part was to know what they were specting you to answer, but definetelly better than collect money to pay the bills, taxes, and the many other "adult stuff".

I had some awful jobs and bosses, some wich I worked even all day on sundays and some bosses that would never admit even their smallest mistake!! All was my fault!!
Fortunatelly I have a nice job now, with more freedom a boss that's not annoying, very low pressure and cool co-workers.

I spend most of my free time with my wife and kids. Where I live there's not much places to go out with friends, but I usually go with them to a park near my home and play with them there. Sometimes I play with them at home, watch cartoons, movies, play that old and dusty video games...
I also visit my parents a lot. I know their time here is getting shorter, and since I have the happines of having them near I try to enjoy their company while I can.
I also try to learn some new things or improve what I've learned when I can and have a small retro game collection I started as a kind of therapy when I left the army... but that's another story!!

About stress, I feel kind of relieved when I play with my kids.
Sometimes a nice walk, a run or other kind of physical exercise helps me to relieve.
There are times when you just need to calm down and think of what you had, what you have and your plans for the future.
That usually makes a big difference!!
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Fisher wrote:School was awfull to me on the first years, mainly because of my different name for my country's culture.
Honnestly it sounds like a pretty idiot reason to have problems. If they cannot pronunce your name right because it's too foreign, they could just invent a nickname, and anyways that's what people do even when they can pronunce other people's name.
I was like a problem child
Well according to them I was a huuuge "problem child" as well, though myself I never figured out what the problem exactly was (not do I care). I did not regularly got inovlved in fight, however.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Bregalad wrote:If they cannot pronunce your name right
Unfortunatelly that was not pronunciation problems, it was the many puns that can be created with other words in portuguese.
As a kid, the constant repetition of these just made me mad!
Later I did learn even how to take advantage of it. :D
according to them I was a huuuge "problem child"
Most of the problem childs I knew became very nice and intelligent adults.
Some people tried to explain it as the Indigo Children, but in my opinion, that's just assumptions of another pseudo-science.
I think that the problem was (is) the educational system not prepared to deal with kids with bigger amounts of energy and creativity, or simply different kids.
Bregalad wrote:I did not regularly got inovlved in fight, however.
The fights usually started when someone call me names using the puns of my name and I answered the same way.
The guy, usually older and bigger than me just slapped or punched me and I did the same, or at least I tried...
Sure it's a pretty childish behavior that was gone as I growed up and learned to don't accept provocations.
I think the last ime I was involved in a fight I was about 10, not counting the times I tried to stop them.
Jayden Garrison

https://www.collegerecruiter.com/blog/2 ... is-better/
How do you guys think of what this article says about work vs school
Garth

Post by Garth »

Jayden Garrison wrote:Oh and I also wonder like how do you guys handle the stress? I am sure you have a lot of stress when working and you have family to spend time with. Do you guys feel like exploding due to the stress at some point?
How much stress there is in each one's life is mostly up to them. That's not to say a person will never make an irreversible life decision with consequences; but if there's stress, I think it's usually because the person has bit off more than they can chew, possibly because they were greedy and wanted things that brought on big obligations in terms of expenses, or went into debt, or whatever. In many cases you can get rid of those and make do with less. The average house being built today in the U.S. is twice as big as it was in 1960. Is it necessary? No. Or how about a car? Many people think you have to buy new, and have a big payment, and of course if you have an auto loan you're also required to have collision and comprehensive insurance, not just liability. My wife and I, married 33 years, have never taken out an auto loan or had a car less than ten years old, yet we go years at a time without having to make repairs, the one thing people are afraid of in buying a used car.

You can't get rid of your kids though. Hopefully you love them and have a highly functional family; but regardless, you know you can't just skip out on your responsibilities, because someone is highly dependent on you. You have to provide for them. There may even be legal consequences if you don't. You do not have to structure every part of their lives though, taking them to soccer practice, dance lessons, etc.. If there's something both you and they enjoy and it's stress-relieving, fine; but in most cases I'm against these. I'm sure glad I had most entire afternoons and evenings free as a kid, to build my personal electronics and other projects, to program, etc.. Now our own kids are grown and no longer dependent on us parents, so a little stress is gone.

Hopefully my job will continue to work out nicely. I won't go to any heroic efforts to save it though. I get occasional unsolicited offers; but the things I really value are not material anyway. In my last job (1985-1992), the company owner changed priorities all the time and expected me to be able to do everything at the same time, and then he would ask where something is, and I got to the point that it didn't stress me at all to just say I haven't done that yet, without making excuses or anything. If he didn't like it, he could fire me like he did everybody else. I did finally quit, and I can't tell you how good it felt to turn in my keys, even though I didn't have another job lined up yet.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources