Looks like NESCartDB is down (again)...

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

lidnariq

Re: Looks like NESCartDB is down (again)...

Post by lidnariq »

The XML file that nesCartDB hosted is the Nestopia cart database format. It's not the full set of data in the actual DB.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

The database XML file, from the site. 2017 version.
If you want to do something in C# with this database, you can use some tools to autogenerate C# classes, and deserialze the entire database to a typed object.
Attachments
NesCarts (2017-08-21).rar
(335.03 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

lidnariq wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:46 pm The XML file that nesCartDB hosted is the Nestopia cart database format. It's not the full set of data in the actual DB.
Yeah, I noticed it was missing PRG/CHR chip manufacturers and stuff like that.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
BootGod

Post by BootGod »

Sorry for the downtime, these problems always seem to come up at the worst times, I've been working away from home a lot lately and when I have been home, just have had to many things to do. I've only had minimal chance to look into problem so far. The ancient PC hosting the site only gets halfway thru booting OS before locking up. Hard drive and data are fine. I will be around this week and weekend (although I still have a ton of other things I need to get done before sitting done with this) so hopefully I can get it up and running again by then, if not, I may need to find someone with some time on their hands to get this up and running again.

I know passing this project on to others is inevitable at this point, I just really didn't want to hand over a giant turd. The site that has been up and running is horrifically outdated code that requires ancient versions of PHP that cannot even run on modern OS's.

I had been working on an updated site which is functionally mostly complete but the database is different and very out of sync with the one online and syncing will not be trivial. I would much prefer to hand off this version of the DB if I can get it synced up!
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Thank you for the update and for the hard work so far, BootGod.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
Patnukem

Post by Patnukem »

I have server space and experience with databases and PHP if you would like help or a place to store it. Let me know how I can help.
Xkeeper

Post by Xkeeper »

running and refurbishing old php stuff is exactly what i do and i'd be more than happy to take whatever 'turd' you think you have and host it. a few people can probably vouch for my ability to do this as well

if you want you can email me at xkeeper at gmail dot com
BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 »

Xkeeper and I have been running TCRF for over 10 years now (Xkeeper does all the actual backend and site maintenance stuff) and we'd be more than happy to host this alongside our site.
tepples

Post by tepples »

If you two were to host NesCartDB, would the origin http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/ still be valid in some way? Or would it be a fresh start under a new domain name?
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

The original one can be alias of whatever ends up being the new one, so that all old links can still work, or at least I think it is possible to do.
tepples

Post by tepples »

In #nesdev on EFnet, tehcloud mentioned nesdir.github.io (source), which uses the last NesCartDB XML as its data source, as a stopgap until NesCartDB can get rehosted.

If this database is brought under the umbrella of TCRF, how would outages (if any) be reported?
brizzo
Site Admin

Post by brizzo »

Hey guys,

After the last major outage I had been keeping mirrors of the BootGod's nes cart database. I had been storing all the cart profiles as static html files along with the images. Over the past few weeks I have been working on writing tools to process the html into mysql. There are still a few more things to tweak and clean up, but overall it is looking really good. Currently I am working on the back end code for advanced searches like the original site. When BootGod posted I sent him a message letting him know that I am interested and serious about taking care of the cart database. I had actually stopped working on the code after he gave us an update, but it has been 10 days so I am getting back to work on it as the db is useful to many people.

If time allows over the weekend, I will try to get a beta version of the database online. https://nescartdb.com/
Xkeeper

Post by Xkeeper »

tepples wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:41 am In #nesdev on EFnet, tehcloud mentioned nesdir.github.io (source), which uses the last NesCartDB XML as its data source, as a stopgap until NesCartDB can get rehosted.

If this database is brought under the umbrella of TCRF, how would outages (if any) be reported?
same place tcrf ones are: discord and twitter, though we don't have outages all that often
tepples wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:53 pm If you two were to host NesCartDB, would the origin http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/ still be valid in some way? Or would it be a fresh start under a new domain name?
the old url will almost certainly go away no matter who does what with it and it's honestly a minor miracle that said url still works, given that dyn has been trying very hard to nuke their free dynamic dns customers. in theory it would be possible to set up a redirect, but the likelihood of that is low given, again, dyn.
brizzo
Site Admin

Post by brizzo »

I got my mirror site online with some of the basic functionality the original site has :D
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Thanks brizzo. Cool. :beer:
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES