Why "logic" is bullshit (RANT)

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
psycopathicteen
Posts: 2904
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 6:12 pm

Why "logic" is bullshit (RANT)

Post by psycopathicteen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:58 pm

I really cannot stand people who use "logic" to excuse whatever unscientifically sound nonsensical argument they make to fit their narrative. The whole "it's logic" excuse doesn't fly. People might as well just say "it's magic" or "I have a larger dick size, so my opinion is right" because, ultimately what difference does it make?

Another variation to the "it's logic" excuse, is the "my argument is backed by research" excuse. What it really means is that they're arguments are backed by other people's speculation, without any personal investigation. You might as well say "somebody pointed a gun to my head and forced me to believe it."

User avatar
Hamtaro126
Posts: 765
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:08 pm

Re: Why "logic" is bullshit (RANT)

Post by Hamtaro126 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:39 am

I think that I agree, to a point... Although also I may add a couple things:

-Life sucks, and can depress you when you least expect it (Do you think it's 42?!?), But this is my experience,

-Logic can be random and dumb... as we know, But in the right hands (electronically speaking, for example... making NES games or even soldering logic boards onto a Computer) can be the smartest and best way to make a Game or a Computer work. Even a Business for a living!

-Have you heard of these things called Picross/Nonogram/Oekaki puzzles, They are logic puzzles too.
AKA SmilyMZX/AtariHacker.

User avatar
Bregalad
Posts: 7766
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Chexbres, VD, Switzerland

Re: Why "logic" is bullshit (RANT)

Post by Bregalad » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:43 am

psycopathicteen wrote:I really cannot stand people who use "logic" to excuse whatever unscientifically sound nonsensical argument they make to fit their narrative. The whole "it's logic" excuse doesn't fly. People might as well just say "it's magic" or "I have a larger dick size, so my opinion is right" because, ultimately what difference does it make?
Do you have any example of what you mean ?

And are you refering to people who use fallacious logic in order to bring up fake arguments, or simply to people who mention "it's logic" when no logic is involved ?

User avatar
Sumez
Posts: 909
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:29 am
Location: Denmark (PAL)

Re: Why "logic" is bullshit (RANT)

Post by Sumez » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:06 am

Yeah, examples would probably clarify.... I don't remember ever seeing anyone using "logic" as an argument unless there was a pretty solid reason to.

User avatar
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor
Posts: 2032
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:55 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Why "logic" is bullshit (RANT)

Post by FrankenGraphics » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:15 am

Vulcans are such bs artists :mrgreen:
http://www.frankengraphics.com - personal NES blog

psycopathicteen
Posts: 2904
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Why "logic" is bullshit (RANT)

Post by psycopathicteen » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:04 am

Bregalad wrote:
psycopathicteen wrote:I really cannot stand people who use "logic" to excuse whatever unscientifically sound nonsensical argument they make to fit their narrative. The whole "it's logic" excuse doesn't fly. People might as well just say "it's magic" or "I have a larger dick size, so my opinion is right" because, ultimately what difference does it make?
Do you have any example of what you mean ?

And are you refering to people who use fallacious logic in order to bring up fake arguments, or simply to people who mention "it's logic" when no logic is involved ?
Every debate between the 68000 and the 65816 is like that.

User avatar
Sumez
Posts: 909
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:29 am
Location: Denmark (PAL)

Re: Why "logic" is bullshit (RANT)

Post by Sumez » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:10 am

Now I need to know why debates between 68000 and 65816 even exist :D

psycopathicteen
Posts: 2904
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Why "logic" is bullshit (RANT)

Post by psycopathicteen » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:25 am

Because Sega fanboys are butt hurt that I can pull off action games on the SNES.

User avatar
Sumez
Posts: 909
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:29 am
Location: Denmark (PAL)

Re: Why "logic" is bullshit (RANT)

Post by Sumez » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:58 am

Ah yeah, lots of ignorant statements thrown around in the "snes games have slowdown because the CPU is slow" ballpark. I thought you were talking from a programmer's point of view. :)

User avatar
never-obsolete
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:55 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Why "logic" is bullshit (RANT)

Post by never-obsolete » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:18 am

There seems to be a lot of butthurt on both sides. :roll:
. That's just like, your opinion, man .

tepples
Posts: 21751
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
Contact:

Re: Why "logic" is bullshit (RANT)

Post by tepples » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:28 am

There wouldn't be quite this much hate for the 65816 if a judge hadn't decided that Pixar Animation Studios owns what amount to exclusive rights in the concept of a sentient unicycle.

User avatar
Sumez
Posts: 909
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:29 am
Location: Denmark (PAL)

Re: Why "logic" is bullshit (RANT)

Post by Sumez » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:36 am

Are you suggesting that people would have a different impression of the SNES CPU if DMA Design weren't sued over Unirally ?_?

User avatar
rainwarrior
Posts: 7675
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:03 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Why "logic" is bullshit (RANT)

Post by rainwarrior » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:49 am

My unread posts feed looks funny right now. BOO LOGIC!
boo_logic.png
boo_logic.png (2.22 KiB) Viewed 4116 times
Edit: Ha ha, bregalad made the complementary joke in that thread too.

User avatar
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor
Posts: 2032
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:55 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Why "logic" is bullshit (RANT)

Post by FrankenGraphics » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:56 am

Itching to start the thread "why i like cubase and protools more than logic"
http://www.frankengraphics.com - personal NES blog

tepples
Posts: 21751
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
Contact:

Re: Why "logic" is bullshit (RANT)

Post by tepples » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:29 am

Sumez wrote:Are you suggesting that people would have a different impression of the SNES CPU if DMA Design weren't sued over Unirally ?_?
Yes. It would have at least led to a more nuanced debate about what makes a system or game "fast".

Post Reply