Why is programming taking so dang long for me nowadays?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Why is programming taking so dang long for me nowadays?

Post by 93143 »

psycopathicteen wrote:If a routine uses a small LUT, I would like to keep it in the same bank as the routine, and be able to access it with short absolute addressing.
Not sure what you're getting at here. Isn't it fairly simple to have the assembler put the LUT in a different bank? Ideally the one you're aiming the data bank register at, which would be in a LoROM region in order to retain access to MMIO and shadow RAM.

I've used the "put the LUT in the code segment and just jump over it" trick before, but it's hardly good practice for a game...
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

I'm really close to having a mid level mode-7 switch in my game. I will have to use only 128 tiles during the transition in order to fit the normal tile set in though.
jmorgan1993

Post by jmorgan1993 »

That's because there are so many updates on the programming world, the competition is too tight and clients are demanding.
psycopathicteen

Multiplication is really getting on my nerves. Would it have killed them to add a signed 16x16 multiplication?

Post by 93143 »

psycopathicteen wrote:Would it have killed them to add a signed 16x16 multiplication?
You never know with Japan...

http://thekyotoproject.org/english/chion-in/
There is also a coffin constructed of plain wood, Shiraki-no-kan, beneath the statue, which symbolizes the burial place for Gomi Kinuemon and his wife, who killed themselves by the sword to take responsibility of the soaring costs of building such an enormous gate.
It's easy to say they should just have gone full SA-1 from the start, but hindsight is 20:20, 1990 != 1995, and budgets are budgets...

I mean, why doesn't the Switch have a 16 nm SOC with A72 cores and 3 SMs, 6 GB RAM, and analog triggers? (Seriously, though, why doesn't it have analog triggers?)

Have you got a couple of free banks for a signed 8x8 lookup table? Or would that not be worth it?

If you really got mad, you could just say **** it and use the MSU1 for a 16x16 lookup table...
calima

Post by calima »

I seem to recall it's easy to emulate signed mult with unsigned.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

take the EOR of the two values, MSB. Then ABS both, mul, if EOR result is 1, negate the result.
psycopathicteen

Specifically, I'm trying to do collision detection with a mode 7 rotating room. I determined that I need at least 10 bits of precision.