Kathy Benjamin explains how homebrew is for witches

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

DRW

Re: Kathy Benjamin explains how homebrew is for witches

Post by DRW »

tepples wrote:The problem is the frequency. Replace "a dozen" with "occasional" and there shouldn't be quite as much of a problem.
Doesn't matter. If people here said that your thread was a little bit spammy, but that it's alright if it's only occasional, then you would have a point.
But instead, your thread basically had a 100% approval rating, with people thanking you and defending you. So, why should it be a problem if I frequently post those useful and approved threads that people are so grateful for?

That's like saying: "Occasionally posting interesting newly found NES hardware quirks that help people understanding NES programming is alright, but doing it too often is not good."

Or, the other way around: Saying that posting these kinds of threads too often is not good means that you admit that your thread does have a certain uselessness to it.
tepples wrote:About ten years ago, we indeed had a problem with someone who would flood General Stuff with talk about his own psychological problems.
Well, as long as I don't actually repeat the same topic, but each thread is a completely new independent topic (one day I post an article about Coca Cola, the next day I post something about the influence of the hippie movement, the next day it's about cloud formations etc.), there shouldn't be an issue. Your thread was 100% defended and regarded as 0% unnecessary and clickbaity. So, what's the problem in posting 10 threads per week of 100% usefulness?
tepples wrote:I had thought about mentioning that in my first post to the topic, but I just barely decided that it wasn't yet the ripest point in the discussion to mention it.
You didn't lack a ripe discussion point, you were lacking a whole discussion since your contribution consisted of nothing but posting an article with a little comment and then never intending to come back to the thread.

There was literally zero reason to post this, other than the stupid pun regarding the word homebrew. If game homebrew was instead called "self-cultivation", you would have never posted a beer thread.
tepples wrote:Should it be made a rule of General Stuff that any thematic connection between an off-topic post and the overall NESdev topic ought to be disclosed in the first post of a topic?
You have a very strange way of perceiving things. This question sounds like the question a computer might ask.

No, it's not necessary that these kind of things "ought to be disclosed in the first post of a topic". Just use your common sense and write your thread titles in a way so that they actually represent what is talked about and don't write clickbait headlines like those moronic YouTube assholes, just to lure game developers into a thread that has nothing to do with game developing.

That's like me saying:
"Interested in getting a date? Here's how you should do it."

And then:
var date = new System.DateTime(2014, 05, 27);

And if not writing a clickbaity headline defeats the whole purpose of creating your thread in the first place (since you didn't want to inform about beer and simply wanted to use a lame pun), then don't create the fucking thread because in this case it's just spam.
tepples wrote:I guess a second thing that led me to post this topic was frustration with my boss at my day job (Phil's Hobby Shop), who is so busy with the craft brewery that he just established and with which I am not involved (Hop River Brewing Company) that he has very little time left to attend to managing my programming work.
Sometimes I'm really perplexed at how your line of thought is:

"My boss is so busy with his stupid beer brewery, that I just had to post an article about how beer brewers were treated wrong by superstitious morons in the middle ages."
WTF.png
WTF.png (26.72 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
And let's not ignore: You complain that your boss cares for his beer and not for your programs, yet you write a thread in a programming forum that sounds like it's about programming and then in the end it's just about beer.
Do you manage to see the irony in this?
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

DRW wrote:Then I guess you don't have anything against me creating a dozen threads about...
If they're actually interesting or funny, like this one, no I wouldn't mind.

It's difficult to create interesting threads if your only goal is spite-spam, though. Good luck!

I asked you what you actually want, now that you've made your complaint, and your answer is that you want to create spam, but have been repressing it?
DRW wrote:Don't pretend that you wouldn't be pissed if this stupid thread came from me instead of your beloved tepples.
I would have liked this thread coming from you, too. That's not pretending. The actual content was very interesting to me, and I ended up doing further reading on it and discussing it with several other friends.

tepples wrote:An entry by pubby to the most recent NESdev Compo. When I suggested a more honest description of his entry's premise for use in the multicart, other users supported pubby and his right to insist on a description of his entry that intentionally misleads players in service of a twist that occurs in the first minute of play. Once I realized the parallels between the Star Evil controversy and this very topic, I realized my own hypocrisy and questioned if I am still the best person to continue to maintain the Action 53 project.
I thought the "homebrew" joke was good enough for a thread to begin with, but then it got backed up with some really fascinating stuff. Honestly I can't think of a better way to title this thread, and don't think you've done anyone wrong by it.

As for Star Evil, I also liked Pubby's joke, and wouldn't like to see it edited in a way that blunts its effectiveness.

In a parallel train of thought, if you weren't already a mod, I wouldn't want to see this thread's topic title edited by a mod to appease DRW's complaint, and I feel the same about Pubby's game and lidnariq's complaint.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

tepples wrote:Should it be made a rule of General Stuff that any thematic connection between an off-topic post and the overall NESdev topic ought to be disclosed in the first post of a topic?
No.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

DRW wrote:That's like me saying:

And then:
That's a good joke and would have been a good thread for this forum.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

This thread and the linked article had some quality to some members, which is why there were some sporadic comments. There just wasn't enought continued interest across enough members to sustain a lengthy conversation. It's as simple as that. I believe you make the mistake thinking that because it held no quality to you, it holds no quality whatsoever.

You were misled by a thread title in the general forum. Sometimes i click on threads i think they might be interesting, but then find aren't (to me). Hardly a reason to bump an old thread to cause a ruckus, let alone using rude language/symbolism.

Clickbait is frowned upon because its link leads you directly off-side to some ad farm, troll attempt, ploy, gossip, fake news, non-news, scam, or something of that magnitude. This was not the case here. Hence, the thread title is harmless and not a problem.
tepples

Post by tepples »

rainwarrior wrote:

And then:
Or better yet, one in NES Hardware about a prototype cart board with a real-time clock and bankable WRAM for calendar-driven RPG/sim games, such as games where the other characters available for you to romance depend on the current time. So the game program gets a date and the player gets a date.
rainwarrior wrote:Clickbait is frowned upon because its link leads you directly off-side to some ad farm, troll attempt, ploy, gossip, fake news, non-news, scam, or something of that magnitude. This was not the case here.
That's because Cracked is far from clickbait. I've found the site fairly consistent in publishing quality articles.
DRW

Post by DRW »

rainwarrior wrote:

And then:
Well, if that's your understanding of a good joke and an actual justification for a forum thread, then I really don't know what to say anymore.

I myself prefer quality humor and not some cheap stupid word plays. I agree with the statement that puns are the lowest form of humor.
FrankenGraphics wrote:Clickbait is frowned upon because its link leads you directly off-side to some ad farm, troll attempt, ploy, gossip, fake news, non-news, scam, or something of that magnitude. This was not the case here. Hence, the thread title is harmless and not a problem.
A YouTube video about the most controversial Simpsons episodes that has some nudity thumbnail doesn't lead to ads or scam either, but actually provides what it promises in the title. And yet, the thumbnail is still an asshole way of trying to generate views.

And yes, I indeed regard tepples' thread creation a troll attempt. Because it played with expectations regarding a common interest of people in this community. And then it only provided some random, unrelated topic that happens to have the same name.
tepples wrote:That's because Cracked is far from clickbait. I've found the site fairly consistent in publishing quality articles.
And again one of those typical-for-tepples non-sequitur statements that look like they come from a robot or an alien who only visited our planet recently.

No, of course the original Cracked article wasn't clickbait. Nobody ever said that, so why do you even feel the need to bring this up here? Your thread title alone and the fact that it was posted on an NES homebrew forum was the clickbait.
My game "City Trouble":
tepples

Post by tepples »

I apologize for having autism.
DRW

Post by DRW »

But you are able to grasp factual statements, aren't you?

When I say: "You, tepples, trolled people by using a lame pun about NES development", then you are capable of understanding the objective fact that this statement does not mean: "The website Cracked.com trolled people by using a lame pun about NES development", right?
My game "City Trouble":
DRW

Post by DRW »

This is basically what this thread is to me:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aS9h6oENk8&t=54s
My game "City Trouble":
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

@DRW: Take your butthurt somewhere else already. Clicking on interesting topics only to find the new posts are more pointless sperglording from you is a bigger disappointment than anything tepples has posted.

@tepples: your link was interesting and provided some new inspiration for a game idea that I've been slowly brewing over the last few years. Thank you for posting it.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

And we care what DRW thinks ... why?

DRW still seems to think that the forum should operate in exactly the way he wants it to and no other way. Kindly desist.

Especially leave the puns for those of us who do enjoy them.
DRW

Post by DRW »

lidnariq wrote:DRW still seems to think that the forum should operate in exactly the way he want it to and no other way. Kindly desist.
This has nothing to do with what I want. I merely pointed out that this thread is exactly the kind of clickbait troll attempt that is otherwise detested everywhere.

You wouldn't have called it interesting and thanked the poster if this was done in any other context. If that was the way it works, the YouTube comment section of videos with misleading titles or thumbnails would be full of praise about what a creative joke the video creator just did.
My game "City Trouble":
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

You're projecting your own loathing of puns on other people. Again, kindly desist.
DRW

Post by DRW »

I was talking about misleading titles and clickbaits. You wanna tell me that they're not universally hated?
My game "City Trouble":