Hi guys, I'm new here to this forum.

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

StevieGoodwin

Hi guys, I'm new here to this forum.

Post by StevieGoodwin »

Hi everyone, I'm a new user and i'm also new here. Can i ask anything about NES or SNES repairs or something? I just gotten a SNES which had a screw missing to the 7805 and i added a screw and all is good now. How long will it last with the screw in there? Would the console die without the screw in the 7805?
Fisher

Re: Hi guys, I'm new here to this forum.

Post by Fisher »

I don't think it would die that easy.
But I think the 7805 would certainly become a bit hotter without the screw, correct?
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

The 7805 looks to be a +5V regulator (i.e. a VRM). These tend to get extremely hot, especially in such limited form factor (size). The reason it's screwed down is to help dissipate heat through the aluminium/metal heat sink. Example photo (ignore the capacitor, it's unrelated to the question): https://console5.com/techwiki/images/th ... Output.jpg

Thus: is the screw important? I would err on the side of caution and say yes. Different SNES revisions/models have this done differently. If the VRM is also soldered or attached to the heat sink directly, then it might be OK (but the more heat dissipation/transfer the better!). If it's one where it's only in contact to the heat sink using the screw, then yes, I would say it's incredibly important.
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

You definitely need that screw, I think it is M2 type but I'm not completely sure.