Can someone recommend me a cheap NES clone?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

darkhog

Can someone recommend me a cheap NES clone?

Post by darkhog »

Must:

- Play real NES carts (72 pin)
- Be hardware-based (either cloned PPU/2A03 or NOAC), no emulation because then you get into issues with some games that use weird mappers (most homebrew stuff)
- As cheap as possible.

Can't afford a real NES and everything I was able to find were famicom->NES converters (not the other way around) and famiclones.
koitsu

Re: Can someone recommend me a cheap NES clone?

Post by koitsu »

For what region? NTSC, PAL, SECAM (Russia)?
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Honestly, you get a better experience with an emulator than a clone console. The swapped duty cycles on those clones is utterly unacceptable.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

koitsu wrote:For what region? NTSC, PAL, SECAM (Russia)?
Either NTSC or PAL, though with modern TVs region doesn't matter anymore and I don't play Duckhunt that I can't use a LCD.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Dwedit wrote:Honestly, you get a better experience with an emulator than a clone console. The swapped duty cycles on those clones is utterly unacceptable.
I second this motion. An alternate choice would be the RetroUSB AVS, but it's probably not in your price range.
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

Dwedit wrote:Honestly, you get a better experience with an emulator than a clone console. The swapped duty cycles on those clones is utterly unacceptable.
Not every homebrew has a ROM file. Not even every NES game. Some are downright impossible to emulate due to custom hardware in the cart that was made just for that specific release.
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

The Phantom System is a great clone, but it is retro so it is actually going to be probably more expensive than a NES. If you want cheap, it will be garbage.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

You can easily get a cheap NOAC for <$30. The Hyperkin Retron 1 for example is easy to find in online catalogues, for example (even has an HDMI version). If you look around you can probably find something equivalent for more like $5.

NOACs can't deal with any unusual screen mappings like 4-screen, which is actually becoming fairly common in new homebrew.

If you want something more compatible, NOAC won't do, and there isn't really a non-emulator option that's priced below the RetroUSB AVS (or a used NES/Famicom), AFAIK.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

I don't want to turn this into a for-sale thread, but...

darkhog, if you want an actual NES/FC console, I will have 3 of them available for sale soon:

1. Original front-loader NTSC NES (North America) with Blinking Light Win (version 2) cartridge connector installed (I also kept the original connector in case buyer wants to put it back in). Includes console, original AC adapter, and third-party RCA A/V cables. Not sure about manuals (I'll check), no original box.
2. Original top-loader NTSC NES (North America). Includes console, original AC adapter, and RF adapter. Not sure about manuals (I'll check) no original box.
3. Original Famicom AV (Japan). Includes original AC adapter, and third-party RCA A/V cables. Not sure about manuals (I'll check), no original box

Note: consoles DO NOT include controllers. I DO have controllers -- some original, some third-party (ugh) -- and can include 1 per system, but I'm not giving up my NES dogbone controller (which is what came with the top-loader). Dogbone ain't for sale, period. :-)

I'll also be having an original Famicom Disk System (which also includes AC adapter -- this is hard to find), that does include manuals (in VERY good condition) and original box, and I have several FDS games which I can include with it (though I'd prefer to sell or charge for those separately).

All 100% working hardware (personally tested/used) that has *NO MODS* (barring the BLW). I'm a very strong believer in avoiding modifications of original hardware (please don't let this turn thread OT; I support the Hi-Def NES and similar, but would only do it if I had a spare console of the same type around)

I charge reasonable amounts of money (i.e. NOT eBay prices), and I give discounts to people who are using the hardware for NES/FC development (because that's how I support the community), but S/H you have to pay for (USPS Priority Mail). I'm in California (US) and only ship within the US or Canada; no overseas.

Talk to me in PM/DM if interested.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

darkhog wrote:
Not every homebrew has a ROM file. Not even every NES game. Some are downright impossible to emulate due to custom hardware in the cart that was made just for that specific release.
Emulators are so good nowdays that I suspect they have better compatibility than any clone (except the FPGA ones). I'm not trying to convince you to go emulator though.

I heard good things about Super 8 Tristar Adapter, it's NOAC though (and you need a SNES).
The old Micro Genius ones are also popular but might not be as easy to find as a NOAC.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

You could try to find a Polystation.
They come in various flavors, generally mimicking some modern era console.
If I remember correctly they have the old sound channel duty cycle swap issues, and some lack the /A13 pin on the cartridge wich can be easily fixed with an logic inverter.

Keep in mind that unless you get an nice condition used one from somebody, you'll get what you paid for.
I suggest you make some tests in person if possible with know games to give trouble on clones like Castlevania 3 and Gauntlet.
Heck, I got a "Dynavision Xtreme" wich has trouble running MMC1 based games while his older brother "Dynavision Radical" had run everything I trow at it!!