Members in Hokaido are ok?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Banshaku

Members in Hokaido are ok?

Post by Banshaku »

We had a big earthquake in the middle of the night in the north of Japan and yesterday when reading the thread about the history of snesdev I saw that Pokun was in Hokaido, if the information is still accurate. When I saw the earthquake news, this is the first name that came to my mind. Hope you are ok.

If other people in the region, take care since there is no electricity in many region. Other members just chime in so we know that you are ok ;)

A few days ago a huge typhoon, biggest since 25 years ago and now this earthquake. We are kind of getting a beating right now.
koitsu

Re: Members in Hokaido are ok?

Post by koitsu »

Thanks for this! I knew of the typhoon but not the quake. I have a friend (runs Tokyo Demofest, did some old emulators, etc.) that lives in Hokkaido. Just checked in with him and he and his wife are OK. I guess his area just got electricity, water, and Internet restored.

安全にね!
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Wow, I met him, Falken, (the 1st and only time) at TDF 2016, and we chatted about you, actually. I didn't know he was deep into emulation too.

Hope everyone is OK up north, too. Another big quake in the middle of winter would be horrendous.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Man, Japan has been having some shitty luck

Hope all the japanese members are alright.
Nioreh

Post by Nioreh »

Man, Japan has been having some shitty luck
It's not really bad luck, it is a natural consequence of its geography. Japan sits right where several continental and oceanic plates meet so earthquakes are more likely.

I hope all nesdevers are ok.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Nioreh wrote:I hope all nesdevers are ok.
So... everyone else can die? Sorry, just found that sentence strange. Hope everyone is fine.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

ccovell wrote:Wow, I met him, Falken, (the 1st and only time) at TDF 2016, and we chatted about you, actually. I didn't know he was deep into emulation too.
https://web.archive.org/web/20001204152 ... rodius.com -- this was an x86 emulator for the Sony PS2. :-)
adam_smasher

Post by adam_smasher »

tokumaru wrote:
Nioreh wrote:I hope all nesdevers are ok.
So... everyone else can die? Sorry, just found that sentence strange. Hope everyone is fine.

Code: Select all

∀x. P(x) → Q(x) ⇏ ∀x. ¬P(x) → ¬Q(x)
Nioreh

Post by Nioreh »

tokumaru wrote:So... everyone else can die?
I once again forgot that one has to be careful with how to word things on this forum.

Of course I don't think everyone else can die. I would like everyone involved to be OK, but I also already know at least 7 people aren't. Also, I don't think anyone but nesdevers read this. That sums up why I directed my post to the people of this community. The thread is on this site after all.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Don't mind me, I was only half serious. Sorry for that.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

The situation right now over there is not rosy. Yesterday, all of Hokaido didn't have electricity (never saw that in 12 years).

In the west we are used to the Ritcher scale and yesderday it was a 6.7,which seems small at first. But in Japan we have a extra one, the "shindo" scale, which means literally "vibration" but just found that the actual term in English is "Japan Meteorological Agency seismic intensity scale". We have so many earthquake that we needed another one based on all kind of vibration an impact. It has a scale of 7 and yesterday was a 7, which is quite strong. And each level are a "weak" and "strong" but 7 is max.

I experienced a 5 strong in 2011 and it was rumbling for 3 minutes. 5 was already quite troubling so a 7 would be terrifying. But 7 is not for complete Hokaido but at the epicenter.

I just pray that they don't find too many people under the rumbles. Many houses have been swallowed by the landslides. We had a hellish summer this year and it's not finished yet.

Hope Pokun is ok. I hope it's just because he doesn't have electricity yet. One of our office over there is closed because of lack of electricity.
olddb

Post by olddb »

Stay safe. :cry:
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

tokumaru wrote: So... everyone else can die? Sorry, just found that sentence strange. Hope everyone is fine.
Well, nesdevers and everyone else will eventually die, just in case you forgot...

Also I didn't know there was any japanese members (outside of a couple of non-japanese people who went living there).
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

The one that I remember but hasn't been there in a while is naruko, with often information about specific mapper. If you look in fcdev that is mostly naruko's posts :)
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Haven't been on too much and just saw this thread. Sorry and thanks for worrying!

For those that don't know, I'm Swedish but I live and work in Hokkaido at the moment. The house shook like crazy and it was the biggest earthquake I've ever experienced. There was no damage on me or my house, but all of Hokkaido went black as you all know by now. I live close to Sapporo so it was "only" around shindo 4 here (further east got hit pretty hard though with a shindo 7 as Banshaku said). The biggest problem was the power outage and the fact that people stocked up on anything edible from every super market and convenience store all over the place, and due to the power outage the stores didn't get any restock for a good while.

Stores have slowly recovered their stock so it's easier to find food again, but there's still no nattou anywhere I look (nooooooo)!

There are still lots of smaller and some bigger aftershocks though, so you still must be on your toes.
Hope everyone else are safe!