Nintendo cease&desist on a C64 port of Super Mario Bross

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

supercat

Re: Nintendo cease&desist on a C64 port of Super Mario Bross

Post by supercat »

Bananmos wrote:I think you're missing the point here. The game doesn't have half the screen time or even a quarter to spare - it's already showing significant slowdowns in places, precisely because it is running code that was written for another gaming system, where the 6502 is clocked almost twice as fast.
I guess I would have expected that the game would be using code written to use different time/space trade-offs targeting a system with 64K of RAM versus 2K. Unlike Warren Robinett's Adventure, where the bat, dragons, and magnets all need to be processed every gametick regardless of whether they're on screen or not, SMB ignores everything that isn't on the screen, and never really has all that much going on except maybe when the hammer-throwing dudes are on screen and if memory serves most of the rows of tiles on screen at that point are either blank or repeating.

If the game actually uses NES game logic, that would be interesting, but I'm not sure how one could sensibly make the game play precisely like the NES version unless one were to have objects either become active only after they've fully scrolled onto the screen, or cease to be active before they reach the left.
Hojo_Norem

Re: Nintendo cease&desist on a C64 port of Super Mario Bross

Post by Hojo_Norem »

supercat wrote:
Bananmos wrote:If the game actually uses NES game logic, that would be interesting, but I'm not sure how one could sensibly make the game play precisely like the NES version unless one were to have objects either become active only after they've fully scrolled onto the screen, or cease to be active before they reach the left.
That's the beauty of the achievement, the port does use the NES game logic, taken and unaltered as possible from the SMB1 disassembly. Naturally the GFX, sound and I/O code had to be re-coded. In fact, the game logic is as unaltered as that while the C64 version shows more horizontal playfield, sprites still appear/disappear at the NES screen boundary, meaning enemies sometimes appear out of thin air on the right side of the screen for example.
Insert witty sig. here...