Tiger Handheld Game Hardware?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Tiger Handheld Game Hardware?

Post by Drew Sebastino » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:33 pm

Here's something really stupid that dawned on me to ask; is anyone familiar with what sort of hardware was used to run the game logic for the Tiger handheld games of the late 80's and 90s? Even after a fair bit of Googling, I haven't found any details about the hardware. Now a days, it's all so inexpensive that they could use a 32bit ARM microcontroller chip if they really wanted, but I don't know what they could have used whilst still making a reasonable profit and selling these for $20. Could these get by with potentially not having a cpu at all?

Edit: Sorry for spamming this thread multiple times; this website wasn't cooperating with my phone's browser and I hadn't noticed what it was doing.

Memblers
Site Admin

Re: Tiger Handheld Game Hardware?

Post by Memblers » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:15 pm

They are in MAME, so there might not be documentation, but there is code. Quite a few of these LCD and VFD games have been dumped and emulated. I don't know off-hand what the Tiger games used, but I think these games were generally using 4-bit CPUs. Only specific one that comes to mind is TMS1000, but that was probably mostly the older ones.

One funny thing I do remember hearing, I think it was the Tiger games, was that some of them have the same program, and only the LCD was changed.