Just watched a video about Data-Focused programming

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Dwedit

Just watched a video about Data-Focused programming

Post by Dwedit » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:51 pm

I just watched a fascinating talk (1hr:30m video) about designing code around your data, and what you want done to that data, and how that relates to things such as cache usage.

From CppCon 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX0ItVEVjHc
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

rainwarrior

Re: Just watched a video about Data-Focused programming

Post by rainwarrior » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:52 pm

It's a good way of thinking about it, at least in a games context. :)

coto

Post by coto » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:53 pm

The first 20 minutes is pretty much how I see platforms and I can more or less understand the idea the guy tries to explain:

Modularize codebase as whole, try not to think too much about the hardware, but modularize as much as possible so your problem solver methods allow to be scattered between code, data and very basic template code, (because that is platform specific and you must keep it as simple as possible, C++ can aid in here).

Things he explains in the first 20 minutes give some insight in tweaks such as :
-custom memory allocators
-removing C++ overhead in Memory-Constrained Embedded Systems

So the basic framework can then focus on:

Gaming specific:
Scaling, 3D, shaders, Game Engines

Sound:
whatever tool there is available

Tools:
IDE
Debugging: either you develop your own or use available tools

The idea is to focus on data (content), and not too-specific platform shit, that´s what I understand.
And by generic-alizing things you can add more custom resources related to data given a specific time-frame. That leaves room for custom Game Engines to grow.

Good video, thanks.

pubby

Post by pubby » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:02 am

There are a few famous quotes about this.

Linus Torvalds:
"Bad programmers worry about the code. Good programmers worry about data structures and their relationships."
Fred Brooks:
Show me your flowcharts, and conceal your tables, and I shall continue to be mystified; show me your tables and I won't usually need your flowcharts: they'll be obvious.
The real world tends to be very data-oriented, and 99% of code is written for dumb CRUD apps, so these quotes are quite accurate! However, it doesn't apply 100% of the time. Code based on mathematics (like cryptography for example) tends to find the algorithms more important than the data. So it's a good rule of thumb, but don't treat it as a truth.