Nintendo "Gigaleak"

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Bregalad

Re: Nintendo "Gigaleak"

Post by Bregalad »

Memblers wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:55 am From what I've heard (could be wrong), there was an email database in the leak, people were working on decrypting files attached to the emails, and that's where a CV4 prototype had turned up.
Wow that sounds quite a complex thing to do.
This is surprising considering emails weren't common (if even existing) when Super Castlevania IV was developed.

EDIT : Anyway somebody already made a webpage dedicated to this prototype. This rocks !
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I think e-mail have existed about as long as computer networks has existed, and at least since the early '70s. In the '90s it was quite common, especially for companies that naturally uses a lot of computers (which a game development company probably would at that time). Our school in the mid '90s had no internet access (which wasn't strange since that was a very uncommon thing to have), but there was an internal network with an e-mail service for IBM-PC computers (using the horrible OS Windows 3.11) that we could use to send e-mail to each others with, within the school.

BTW, thanks for that link!
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Pokun wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:41 pm I think e-mail have existed about as long as computer networks has existed, and at least since the early '70s. In the '90s it was quite common, especially for companies that naturally uses a lot of computers (which a game development company probably would at that time).
Thanks for the information. I only know about personal retro computer but very few things about industrial/company use of retro computers. And I knew a lot of things such as internet or emails were much older than commonly tought but I couldn't know the details.
using the horrible OS Windows 3.11
It wasn't horrible, it was awesome, especially compared to its modern counterparts.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

i mean you got email back in the Commodore VIC-20(1981) days with Quantum Link -> QLink -> AOL, CompuServe and the like also had it. the DEC-VAX machines also had email, so email has been a thing at large companies since the "70s". It didn't reach the tipping point until the 90s. The 90s was when the computers became "a necessary thing" and were cheap to be a commodity and so then people started to use them, then the internet started to grow and email now dominates. Lotus Notes was a huge accelerator in the field, it was 88? 89? 90? somewhere around there. It was amazing but I also hate it with a passion.

Windows 3.1.1 was pretty bad all things considered retrospectively but at the time it was the best thing on a PC by far. I would take it over say System 7. But Workbench 1.3 was lots better. True multitasking, sure it Guru'd a lot but Windows 3.1 was crash heavy too. In fact you would run OS/2 warp 2 because it gave you a better windows 3.1 that was its job.
If you are interested in the old OSes and alternatives from the era I recommend this series, https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ke+best+os
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I hated the look and the unintuitiveness of Windows 3 and would use DOS whenever I could, which wasn't often because I hardly knew how to use computers. The more Mac-like Windows 95 was the first useable Windows IMHO, and you could finally close a window with a single click. It did introduce some weird stuff though, like the START button, why do we need so many different ways for shortcuts to everything in Windows? Just stick with one thing that works. Also it finally had colours that are somewhat easy on the eyes. They should have looked more at "gaming" computers like the commodore and MSX ones, they always had pleasant colours to look at. Even the Macintoshes of the time had more natural colours than IBM-PCs with Windows 3.
Last edited by Pokun on Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

Windows had to support a fixed 16 color palette, which is the reason for its "odd" color choices. In theory they could have reprogrammed the colors to something else since VGA should allow it but I'm sure there was some supported video hardware that couldn't...
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

For whatever reason, Windows 3 seems to run on the assumption that it has to make do with dithering from some fixed master palette. The alternative X11 way isn't really good - either you have a shared pool of colors and you very quickly exhaust that shared pool, or you get colormap flash whenever you changed windows.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

well EGA only gives you 16 colours and trying to manage and share 16 colours across all applications is not really a practical thing. Just saying "this is the palette deal with it" was probably the sensible choice. The 256 colour palette was also fixed, so they could then have a known differ to convert the 256 colour entries down to 16 colour entries. So even if you had a VGA adapter you could still then use the 640x480 mode.
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

Windows only kept first 20 colors fixed in 8bit modes (16 EGA default colors and 4 variable ones only used by UI elements), remaining colors could have been changed by programs running, with visible color clash as windows were changed.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

So rather than a lack of aesthetics or even poor colour hardware, it was a workaround to make it as flexible as possible for programs running on top of it within the limitations of the hardware. A problem that doesn't exists for, for example a Commodore VIC-20 program that doesn't have to share the hardware with anything else.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

TmEE wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:20 am Windows only kept first 20 colors fixed in 8bit modes (16 EGA default colors and 4 variable ones only used by UI elements), remaining colors could have been changed by programs running, with visible color clash as windows were changed.
Ah yes, I was getting confused with the "windows palette" option you got in graphics editing programs, which are the Windows Palette + Web Palette( which was also a 95 thing). And then you got another 20 or so custom colours if you dared.
oRBIT2002

Post by oRBIT2002 »

There are now even more "Gigaleaks". Nintendo can't be happy now..
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Nintendo is never happy about anything that's not under their full control.
Picto

Post by Picto »

The initial breach happened in 2018, and all of these leaks that showed up for download are simply resulting from that breach; So Nintendo probably knows/expects more is coming, they just can't do anything about it.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Was there new files leaked again? I didn't follow recently. If new codes for gb/snes etc, always interested to give a few minutes look, out of curiosity.