What keyboards do you use for programming?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

KayBur

What keyboards do you use for programming?

Post by KayBur »

Hey! I didn’t find a suitable theme, but I have a problem. The buttons on the keyboard started to jam. Sometimes you need to press some buttons 3-4 times for them to work. I urgently need a new keyboard, because I signed up for a programming course and will need to complete assignments. Are there any suitable models MOD edit: delinked spammy URL: homemakerguide . com / best-keyboard-for-programming? You need a keyboard that will work for a long time and without problems.
Ben Boldt

Re: What keyboards do you use for programming?

Post by Ben Boldt »

I use this one at work, it is marvelous:

https://www.daskeyboard.com/daskeyboard-4-professional/

They offer Cherry MX Brown (soft) and blue (clicky). I actually got the Macintosh version with blue, refurbished, works fine with PC. The keycaps do wear to shiny over time but most keyboards do. I'm okay with that.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I currently use a standard membrane PS/2 keyboard that I had for over 10 years. I've been meaning to buy a mechanical keyboard for a long time, but I haven't done it yet.

I was thinking of Cherry MX Brown microswitches as those are supposedly the most allround and good for both typing and gaming (though I seldom play games on my computer, and prefers a joystick if I do).
The Ducky Shine brand seems good, as all the advanced stuff is done on a microcontroller inside the keyboard, so that it doesn't require any fancy drivers or bloatware to handle things like RGB LEDs.
Drag

Post by Drag »

Mechanical keyboard thread? :D

At pre-pandemic work (i.e., back when I'd still commute to the office), I used a Unicomp buckling spring keyboard. It was a delight to type on, but also very loud, so it's important to take your working environment into account since you probably don't want to annoy your neighbors with a 1am coding session. :P

Nowadays though, I'm thinking about just going with any mechanical keyboard with cherry browns or cherry clears (the ones that aren't clicky). I was looking at Durgod's offerings, actually.
nocash

Post by nocash »

That does very much depend on the situation, you could hardly use the same keyboard for NES and Atari projects. It does also depend on the daytime and seasonal light conditions. And, as we all know, it's a well kept secret what keyboards the top programmers are using.
homepage - patreon - you can think of a bit as a bottle that is either half full or half empty
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Unicomp still makes the classic buckling spring Model M keyboards they used to build for IBM, except they have a modern set of keys and USB support now. I have one and it's my favourite keyboard for typing work.

However, it's quite noisy, so I normally have to have headphones on or the volume up to hear other stuff while working. Sometimes I switch to a quieter keyboard if I don't want to bother those around me.

Cherry MX Brown (or equivalent) are also quite nice. I keep one of those as well, and it's my second favourite. They're a little softer than the Blue but have a nice tactile click. That'd be my second choice.

Though, honestly having used laptops for years I don't really mind the common rubber-dome-chicklet keyboards much. They're not preferred, if I have something else around, but they don't stop me from getting work done either... unless I'm on a mac where they don't think home/end deserve dedicated keys. :P
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I knew it. Well, at least the spambot started an interesting thread.

Yeah the loudness of MX blue and buckling spring is the main reason I want MX brown over either of them. I think even a normal membrane keyboard gives far enough sounding feedback, and would rather minimize noise as much as possible. I have good ears and I don't need to annoy my surroundings either.
calima

Post by calima »

This one is human, but yeah.

I use MS Comfort Curve 3000. It sucks that nobody makes ergonomic mechanical keyboards. It's either the rail-straight normal ones, with or without gamer bling, or contraptions straight from a scifi flick that would take a month to adjust to.

There is one nearly acceptable one, Matias Ergo Pro which is a split mechanical keyboard, but that one has terrible reviews, saying it breaks often. Some reviewers having gone through four keyboards in the warranty period before switching brands.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

I just use an Acer SK-9610 USB keyboard, with these weird media player keys at the top.

its keys have depth, making it much more satisfying to type on than the keys from a modern laptop.
calima wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:34 pm This one is human, but yeah.
Perhaps he's a 'cyborg account' like u/uwutranslator.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I really don't care about keyboards at all. Anything will do for me.
never-obsolete

Post by never-obsolete »

I have a 20+ year old Compaq rt7h00. For the longest time I kept around a second one, but this one just won't die.

About 5 years ago I thought about going wireless and bought a SMK vp6610, but went back to the Compaq because it felt better when playing games and the mouse felt too small for my hand.
. That's just like, your opinion, man .
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Heh I was gonna crack a joke about him being a spamborg.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

tokumaru wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:19 pm I really don't care about keyboards at all. Anything will do for me.
I agree, with the addition that I hate touch keyboards on smartphones and tablets.

Also, I don't care much about the numpad, I don't need one. But it's annoying how the <INS><DEL><HOME><END> and <PRINT SCREEN> keys are differently located on each laptop.
About 5 years ago I thought about going wireless and bought a SMK vp6610, but went back to the Compaq because it felt better when playing games and the mouse felt too small for my hand.
I consider having to change or recharge the batteries regularly a worse annoyance than simply having a wire.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Bregalad wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:44 amI agree, with the addition that I hate touch keyboards on smartphones and tablets.
Haha Yeah, I thought about including that in my post! I agree, coding on a phone/tablet using the on-screen keyboard is annoying as hell.
I consider having to change or recharge the batteries regularly a worse annoyance than simply having a wire.
I agree 100%. Wires bother me way way way less than worrying about keeping devices charged or stocking on batteries.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I agree, I'm not a fan of wireless input devices in general, unless it has motion controls like a Wii Remote or the Switch Joy-Cons where it's necessary to function properly. Batteries causes just too much extra work to keep charged or changed. Besides, wireless controls generally adds to the I/O latency which isn't very good for action games.

I also agree about touchscreens. It's a necessary evil on smaller devices and I would never dream about trying to seriously code on one. I also dislike chiclet keyboards and generally anything found on a modern laptop.

I don't agree about the numpad though. It's a must have as the number row on top of keyboards is just too slow when entering lots of numbers. I have a numpad on my laptop because of this. After being force to use laptops a lot, a normal membrane keyboard is a blessing to use.