Antivirus software (was: Request to all of you dev'rs)

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

mog123
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:12 am
Location: Poland

Antivirus software (was: Request to all of you dev'rs)

Post by mog123 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:37 pm

I come to you with a request, I can win a Kaspersky Antivirus 2008 Pack. If in the next 14 hours i'll get enough votes to get into the top5(right now at 23rd place).
I'll be very happy with every vote. You can vote by clicking the link below:

Tiny link:
http://tiny.pl/83n4
Full link:
http://legalne.info/v/fb7f10659e/mog123

Ranking:
http://legalne.info/konkursy/kaspersky/ranking/1

If you can, please send this to your friends on aim icq etc. (If you do not wish to bother your friends, you don't have to). I'll be happy with every vote I get

Cheers,
mog123 - some dude from Poland :)

User avatar
Dwedit
Posts: 4306
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:35 pm
Contact:

Post by Dwedit » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:45 pm

Didn't I just delete this post from pocketheaven?
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

atari2600a
Posts: 324
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:25 pm
Location: Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, M-Theory
Contact:

Post by atari2600a » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:50 pm

People still use that gross Antivirus stuff?

Code: Select all

          *=$0000
loop      JMP loop
          .eof

User avatar
jargon
B&: This is not your blog
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:40 pm
Location: 480/85260
Contact:

Post by jargon » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:58 pm

atari2600a wrote:People still use that gross Antivirus stuff?
Well, supposedly, Kapersky Anti-Virus is better than the Kapersky Firewall.

However, I had thought Norton actually scanned for a 'trojan' it refered to as "Kapersky".

*confused*

Maybe I am just being paranoid again. :/
Cheers,
Timothy Robert Keal alias jargon

Image
Miser's House Anthology Project

User avatar
blargg
Posts: 3715
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:33 am
Location: Central Texas, USA
Contact:

Post by blargg » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:05 am

atari2600a wrote:People still use that gross Antivirus stuff?
People keep using that gross operating system.

User avatar
BMF54123
Posts: 409
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:52 am
Contact:

Post by BMF54123 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:10 am

What's in it for me?

User avatar
dXtr
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:11 am
Location: Karlshamn (Sweden)

Post by dXtr » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:17 am

BMF54123 wrote:What's in it for me?
Free cookies!

tepples
Posts: 21971
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
Contact:

Post by tepples » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:22 am

blargg wrote:
atari2600a wrote:People still use that gross Antivirus stuff?
People keep using that gross operating system.
People keep using that gross hardware, whose manufacturers refuse to port their drivers to anything other than that gross operating system.

People keep using those gross stores, which sell only hardware loaded with a gross operating system.

People keep using that gross shopping method of trying before you buy, which works only in gross stores.

Besides, even on *BSD and *Linux, trojans can still screw with the entire contents of your home directory unless you make a separate jail for each application. I haven't yet seen a GUI to manage dozens of jails on a home PC running any operating system.

User avatar
tokumaru
Posts: 11691
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:43 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Post by tokumaru » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:52 am

Gross operating system or not, all anti-virus suck. Like there was a piece of software that could reliably protect you from all kinds of threats, or even get rid of them after you've been infected. That crap just slows down your PC.

I'm of the kind that uses virtual machines for potentially unsafe tasks (such as testing new software) and formats his HD upon any signs of infection. This means I do use a lightweight free AV, just to monitor things. I don't expect it to protect or fix anything.

User avatar
Bregalad
Posts: 7879
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Chexbres, VD, Switzerland

Post by Bregalad » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:59 am

tokumaru wrote:Gross operating system or not, all anti-virus suck. Like there was a piece of software that could reliably protect you from all kinds of threats, or even get rid of them after you've been infected. That crap just slows down your PC.
Do you say that because you're experimented about that subject, or just because you hear it somewhere else ? Because I'm very unexperimented about that, so I'd like to know if anti-viruses are really worthless or not. My machine gets slower and slower at booting for no apparent reason, and my anti-virus only detects YY-CHR as a "virus" (this is a known bug tough) which is the reason I removed stupid avast and installed something else less annoying after a while.
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary components.

atari2600a
Posts: 324
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:25 pm
Location: Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, M-Theory
Contact:

Post by atari2600a » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:51 pm

I use spybot occasionally to clear out my cookies on my windows machine. Except for this one slip-up where I found a keylogger in my system32 directory (possibly from borrowed software), I don't think I've ever had any infection on my machine in years. Hell, I've gone through like 3 mobos on the same windows install! :P

Code: Select all

          *=$0000
loop      JMP loop
          .eof

User avatar
Banshaku
Posts: 2334
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Fukuoka, Japan
Contact:

Post by Banshaku » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:35 pm

Bregalad wrote:Do you say that because you're experimented about that subject, or just because you hear it somewhere else ? Because I'm very unexperimented about that, so I'd like to know if anti-viruses are really worthless or not.
It depends. If you don't let them run in the background and use it on demand only, it can be useful for the files that you have a doubt that could be infected.

The only problem these days is most of them, if you don't run their damn service in the background, they don't want to run at all. AVG didn't had that issue until version 8 came out. I need to find another free and reliable one that doesn't need to hijack your system to run.
Bregalad wrote: My machine gets slower and slower at booting for no apparent reason, and my anti-virus only detects YY-CHR as a "virus" (this is a known bug tough) which is the reason I removed stupid avast and installed something else less annoying after a while.
This one on windows is a pain since it could be for many reason. One of them could be a virus, another one could be a service that have an issue and takes more time to load. Or it could be a new installed driver that cause havoc. Sometime it can be caused because your harddrive is fragmented. Another cause could be because your registry file is getting bigger and it get the system slower.

The speed issue is not always because of a virus, this is one of many possibilities. In that case, since I usually don't have much time to troubleshoot it, the easier (and lazy) way it to do a clean install if you don't have many program on it. Sometime the troubleshooting is not worth the time invested.

User avatar
tokumaru
Posts: 11691
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:43 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Post by tokumaru » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:38 pm

In my experience, slowdowns are not worth the trouble. EVERY windows machine slows down with use, as you constantly install and remove sotware, pieces are always left behind. Plus the occasional spyware/adware, that you can never seem to fully get rid of.

I say that anti-virus are useless for fixing your system. They don't make miracles! They may even remove the malicious software from your machine, but if things are seriously damaged, they simply can't fix it. Once Windows is damaged, it's gone, it will never be the same.

When you combine all of that, it's no wonder that ALL Windows machines eventually become slow and bugged. That's the nature of Windows. The only way to keep your system clean and fast, is by reinstalling it when it's in bad shape. No software will help you there (in fact, many packages that promise to clean your system up slow it down even more, because of all the processes running in the background, file scanning, automatic updates and all that crap).

There are programs out there that allow you to start with the original windows installation and add stuff to it. This means that you can make a windows installation customized for your machine, with all your programs and all tour drivers. Once you have a disc like that, you can reset your system to it's best shape in a matter of minutes. Just make sure you have a partition in your Hard Disk reserved exclusively for the system stuff, and keep all your data in other disks/partitions.

That's my opinion at least, and this is what I do. It's just a suggestion for the people that have slowdowns and other problems: make your drive C easily formattable!

atari2600a
Posts: 324
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:25 pm
Location: Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, M-Theory
Contact:

Post by atari2600a » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:39 pm

tokumaru wrote:In my experience, slowdowns are not worth the trouble. EVERY windows machine slows down with use, as you constantly install and remove sotware, pieces are always left behind. Plus the occasional spyware/adware, that you can never seem to fully get rid of.

I say that anti-virus are useless for fixing your system. They don't make miracles! They may even remove the malicious software from your machine, but if things are seriously damaged, they simply can't fix it. Once Windows is damaged, it's gone, it will never be the same.

When you combine all of that, it's no wonder that ALL Windows machines eventually become slow and bugged. That's the nature of Windows. The only way to keep your system clean and fast, is by reinstalling it when it's in bad shape. No software will help you there (in fact, many packages that promise to clean your system up slow it down even more, because of all the processes running in the background, file scanning, automatic updates and all that crap).

There are programs out there that allow you to start with the original windows installation and add stuff to it. This means that you can make a windows installation customized for your machine, with all your programs and all tour drivers. Once you have a disc like that, you can reset your system to it's best shape in a matter of minutes. Just make sure you have a partition in your Hard Disk reserved exclusively for the system stuff, and keep all your data in other disks/partitions.

That's my opinion at least, and this is what I do. It's just a suggestion for the people that have slowdowns and other problems: make your drive C easily formattable!
As I said, I've gone through like 3 mobos over a few years & I still manage to get XP booting in under 25sec :P

Code: Select all

          *=$0000
loop      JMP loop
          .eof

tepples
Posts: 21971
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
Contact:

Post by tepples » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:42 pm

Banshaku wrote:If you don't let them run in the background and use it on demand only, it can be useful for the files that you have a doubt that could be infected.

The only problem these days is most of them, if you don't run their damn service in the background, they don't want to run at all. AVG didn't had that issue until version 8 came out. I need to find another free and reliable one that doesn't need to hijack your system to run.
I use ClamWin, setting it to scan everything weekly.

Post Reply