Nine Year old. +I'm an Idiot >.<

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

ironfist61

Nine Year old. +I'm an Idiot >.<

Post by ironfist61 »

EDIT:

Holy crap!!! Sorry Tepples, Where's my head?
I meant Jargon was annoying!!!

How did that happen?!

I am affiliated with this guy who is nine years old.
I suppose he's a type of step brother.

There's more to him than that.
This guy has high interest in homebrew and electronic development.
He is a fan of Memblers's work
And enjoys Chris Covell's "Solar Wars".
He's played griploads of Homebrew games and demos.

Plus he plays "Kart Fighter" and the other mari games by ConySoft, although I don't know if I'd call that homebrew. (What should I call it?)

His name is Josh. He is interested in Learning the 6502 assembly language, AND C++.
He might have what it takes. You know that "Gamemaker" thing by Mark Overmars? I know It's know it's not like assembly or C++ or anything too big but I let him use it and he is pretty good with it.

What do you guys think?
He's thinking about registering an account here. He won't be annoying like that JARGON fellow neither.
Last edited by ironfist61 on Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Celius

Re: Nine Year old.

Post by Celius »

ironfist61 wrote: What do you guys think?
Well, uh... sure. Why would that even be an issue? From my experience, people not allowing me to expand my knowledge at 9 years of age annoyed the hell out of me. Anyone can learn anything, so long as they are interested (my outlook, not necessarily scientific fact).
ironfist61 wrote:He won't be annoying like that Tepples fellow neither.
?? Why would you say something like that?? I'm pretty sure saying that scores you negative points here (Tepples is the moderator, and pretty well respected around here).
blargg

Post by blargg »

Celius wrote:
?? Why would you say something like that?? I'm pretty sure saying that scores you negative points here (Tepples is the moderator, and pretty well respected around here).
This just has to be said:
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Edit:

Comment deleted since the targeted user (Tepples) admitted is own guilt.
Last edited by Banshaku on Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Celius

Post by Celius »

<deleted>
Last edited by Celius on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

When I was 9 years old I was always pissed I didnt understand the books ect and always wished I had someone to explain it to me. Well you can Go! for it.
peppers

Post by peppers »

I would advise getting him interested in something that will attract girls so he can live a more fulilled life later on. Programming is cool and all but it can't bring you happyness its not a good idea to get too involved with it at such a young age when you should be developing social skills.

Knowing how to interact with others will take you farther in life than any practical knowledge if you don’t learn it when your young, if you can't make are cultures backward ways second nature you will always be limited.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Celius wrote:
Because I am annoying at times. In this thread, forum.gbadev.org regulars air their grievances.

But otherwise: What a coincidence! I have a cousin named Joshua who uses Game Maker and wants to learn C and 6502 asm, but he's older than 9.
Hamtaro126

Post by Hamtaro126 »

And while you are doing it: Please teach him to not be like me, I have the same problem of ''Requesting constantly''.

And note to him that there's a warning about PPU attributes: They are just simply too hard, but can be learnable with advanced 6502 code.
Celius

Post by Celius »

PPU attributes aren't that hard, but I will admit they're a bitch. They're easy enough to understand conceptually, but dealing with them is a huge task. I remember when I was first writing my universal scrolling engine that I had the biggest headache after a while of coding attribute updates. The problem lies in updating 2x2 chunks where there's that #$@#%@# attribute on bottom that's only 2x1 2x2 blocks and all the others are 2x2 2x2 blocks. It's a big headache to deal with.

It doesn't necessarily require advanced 6502 knowledge, hell I don't think I even have advanced knowledge. I'd say I'm like mid-advanced. There are lots of things I don't fully understand (e.g. working with signed numbers, certain little quirks, etc.). Luckily like I said I made a universal scrolling engine that I can just drag and drop into pretty much any game I make, and never have to worry about attributes again.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

<!deleted>

No offense, but this is comic. A post that looks like lyrics from a music!
Bah! I suspect THIS is the guy in earlier times, ahahahahaha :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skFIwIGw1iI
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

I'll agree with what Peppers said.

Tell the kid that it's great to tinker with programs, hardware, PCs, etc... but don't let it turn you into a cave-dweller.

And, thanks for playing Solar Wars! :D
Celius

Post by Celius »

ccovell wrote: Tell the kid that it's great to tinker with programs, hardware, PCs, etc... but don't let it turn you into a cave-dweller.
Yeah, or you'll end up like me :lol: .

No seriously, I didn't get out enough when I was young; I had a fairly large addiction to video games. But that's probably because I lived in the smallest town ever with nothing to do (though I did go outside and play), but I'm not here to tell my life story. So anyways, yes, what Peppers said.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

That is really cool. A 9 year old who's interested enough could learn more and probably faster than anyone here. There is the newbie forum which I originally intended for anyone who's just new to programming and everything (I've remember showing a lot of people how to use a command prompt) - natural stuff for a lot of us, but no one was born knowing it.

As far as not being a cave dweller, it seems every programmer says that (I remember reading an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto where he said the same thing, that was long before I started programming). Having no social life isn't a requirement, but I can see how it would help! :lol:

It takes time to write a game, but it's a lot more rewarding to create a game rather than play through dozens of them. Games, music, technology, learning in general is what I was interested in, so for me it was a matter of doing something constructive with my time (intending to have something to show for it, in the end).
ironfist61

Post by ironfist61 »

Read the first post.

BUMP

Man, a goof so small is so big. Damn.
Is this gonna kill me?