It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:35 pm 

It's called Petit Computer, known as Puchicon in Japan.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/0 ... si_and_3ds

Quote:
Gamebridge has announced it's bringing DSiWare game creation software Petit Computer to North America this summer.

The package serves as an introduction to the BASIC programming language that's powered games for decades. If you're not artistically inclined you can use the 512 pre-packed sprites and 256 backgrounds, or using the DSi's touch screen to draw your own.

After you've finished coding and tweaking you can share your creations online with other users by generating QR codes using a PC or Mac. This way you'll be able to pick at others' code to see how they've created their titles, a feature we can see being very popular.

Petit Computer is out on DSiWare and in the eShop later this year. You can find out more at the Petit Computer site.

I'm pretty excited about this, I heard about it a long time ago and thought it was the kind of thing that would never be localized.

It seems surprisingly full-featured. Here are some examples of things that have been made with it:

Spectacle Hurricane, a Space Harrier clone

Super TryGunners, a space shooter

Genesis's Columns

Fantasy Zone (made in the older version of the program, the current one is mk. II)

The intro from Ys 3 (really smooth scrolling)

It looks like you can do almost anything on the level of most 8 or 16 bit games, probably limited by size somewhat.

If you want to get to know more about it ahead of time and don't know Japanese, you can run the manual through Google Translate like I'm doing. :P

Starting here, and you have to change the "p01" to "p02" etc. manually because the buttons lose their functionality in Translate.

Here are the included sprites, and here are included BG tiles (further down). Looks like music is a standard MIDI set, programmable through MML, and there are a number of included songs and sound effects too.

It comes with 23 built in example programs, some simple and some complex, ranging from a calculator and guess-the-number all the way to a first person RPG and a fighting game. You can re-save all of them and edit them any way you like, which should be very helpful for learning the system.

No date given, and no official word on a localization outside of North America.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:11 pm 

That seem pretty good let's see how it works make up an open source clone allows running the program on other computers too and then we can possibly, write the program on another computer and then it will be able to run on 3DS if someone else has Petit Computer/Puchicon in their DSi/3DS. (Hopefully)

I don't like those short URLs redirecting to Google Translate and that stuff so here is the full (original) URL: http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/co_manual/p01.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:03 am 

Creating an officially sanctioned, sandboxed homebrew environment might be the only way to make homebrew-that-leads-to-piracy less common. Look at Xbox Live Indie Games on Xbox 360. And look at the PS3: piracy didn't happen until after Sony had shut off Linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:14 am 

tepples wrote:
Creating an officially sanctioned, sandboxed homebrew environment might be the only way to make homebrew-that-leads-to-piracy less common. Look at Xbox Live Indie Games on Xbox 360. And look at the PS3: piracy didn't happen until after Sony had shut off Linux.
Then they should put back on Linux (and put back all four USB ports), and then see what happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:27 pm 

Looks like it's coming on July 19th for $8.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/_YpH-64pY4G4_tAy1wrKVecHp4pmWSzw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:46 pm 

got this one. so happy.

Last edited by craigyocom on Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:37 pm 

This is really neat, but that's about all. It could definitely spark some kids into programming, like the C64 did with me. But...

I wouldn't want to write anymore games without a decent language and IDE (yeah, I like my IDEs).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:54 am 

Looks interesting. In fact, I've seen it on my 3DS eShop last week. But I prefer programming on my PC and doing something a little bit more advanced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:57 am 

Do you know what file format is used, so that you could write them on a PC and transfer them to 3DS? (Using QR codes if necessary)

Last edited by zzo38 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:48 am 

zzo38 wrote:
Do you know what file format is used, so that you could write them on a PC and transfer them to 3DS?

Nope.
I think they take your project and translade it into their language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:16 pm 

I picked this up (Petit Computer) myself via DSiWare a day or two ago. It's pretty interesting and comes with quite a few examples of audio/graphic-centric stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:53 pm 

Even if you don't know file format on SD card, I think they can use QR codes so if you could figure out format of QR code, that can also be used.

A open-source clone could be written and if it can use the same format then we can work it on PC and other computers and transfer to 3DS file using SD cards or QR codes, if it is able to do so.

But first you have to figure out what it is, in order to do so.

http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/media/qr-nama120707.png These are some QR code for this program I do not know what format of data but it could be figure out??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:49 am 

I got this when it came out and I've done quite a bit of fiddling with it but I didn't think there was any interest on this board. :) I've posted about it a lot on other forums, I guess I'll aggregate some of that here.

First, a Japanese guy has made a PC editor suite for this called PTCUtilities. There is a rough English version. However, it has some issues. I don't know enough about it to be sure, but I think it's coded for 2 byte Japanese characters and sometimes screws up on English platforms because of it. When you paste code into it there is a 75% chance of the program simply crashing. More code increases the chance, smaller/simpler code decreases it. It could also be due to the context coloring screwing up because of all the instantly pasted text...not sure. In any case, always save before doing anything involving the clipboard.

But it's still a great program! You save your program to the SD card, open the ptc file in PTCUtilities, make edits, convert back to QR and scan it back in.

Smileboom has been posting free graphic sets you can use for your own games. The ones they've given out recently are for people who want to make their own Advance Wars! QR codes at the links, including palettes:

http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/co_p ... sent03.php

http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/co_p ... sent04.php

Here is an amazing massive music synthesizer someone made. Seriously it's ~60 QR codes long. Looks like professional software you might pay for (video).

Someone also made a raytracer. Not caster, tracer!

I made a demo for smoothly scrolling around the Dragon Quest 1 world map. Diagonals are a little jittery because Petit Computer is not fast enough to draw both a horizontal and vertical row of tiles in the same frame (or maybe I just coded it poorly?). It wouldn't be a problem if I split up the horizontal/vertical drawing between two frames but this is just a demo. :) It also plays the town theme.

I also made a simple text adventure engine (choose-your-own-adventure style, no parser or anything). It was meant to help beginners but I thought I'd share it anyway. People online were doing a bunch of IF statements for every page so I thought I'd show them how to do it through DATA statements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:28 am 

UncleSporky wrote:
First, a Japanese guy has made a PC editor suite for this called PTCUtilities. There is a rough English version. However, it has some issues. I don't know enough about it to be sure, but I think it's coded for 2 byte Japanese characters and sometimes screws up on English platforms because of it. When you paste code into it there is a 75% chance of the program simply crashing. More code increases the chance, smaller/simpler code decreases it. It could also be due to the context coloring screwing up because of all the instantly pasted text...not sure. In any case, always save before doing anything involving the clipboard.
But that is not the only problem. It also says only Windows and Macintosh, and I see nothing about source-codes.

What I would prefer is some simple specification of data format I could try to make something myself to read/write these file and which is open-source. And then later on we can also write a clone of the BASIC interpreter used to run the same program on other computers too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:44 pm 

The main problem is having to type all your code on a tiny touchscreen and not being able to directly import graphics from standard formats. This solves that and that's really enough.

You're not going to see an open source clone that works on regular PCs. You'd basically have to write a DS emulator to get it to work to the exact same spec, since some included commands seem to clearly use DS's built-in sprite scaling/rotation/collision capabilities, with whatever unique quirks they might have. You also need to extract the program's included audio samples for its ~127 instruments and at least as many sound effects. If you really want to be thorough, you also have to reverse engineer or license the speech synthesis tech used in the Japanese version.