Is blargg around?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Is blargg around?

Post by Zepper » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:25 pm

- Topic. Just wondering... his help is always very appreciated.

NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:49 pm

Well, his last post was in November. His site disappeared about a month ago, but I see it is up now. Who knows...

albailey

Post by albailey » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:08 pm

In his last post he looked to have decided that he would no longer be posting here.

http://nesdev.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=7 ... ght=#70669

If anyone knows how to reach him, please let him know he is missed and his contributions to the NES homebrew scene are deeply appreciated.

Al

Drag

Post by Drag » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:44 pm

He's probably not coming back. When someone leaves at the height of a "you guys need to get your act together" moment, that memory stays with them.

That whole period of time was just a mess for this entire community, and even if we've sorted it out, the damage was probably already done.

Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:50 pm

I can't believe. Really, I was out of this discussion and now it sounds like a big blast. All that things make the nesdev/nesemdev pretty stuck... or (why not) dead. The only way to fake the survive of it is to idolize FCEU and Nestopia (with respect here).

Just notice the lack of interesting or relevant /NES-related subjects across recent posts.

MottZilla

Post by MottZilla » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:52 pm

That's a shame if he's gone. He was very helpful to me particularly when I was starting out on making my first NES emulator.

koitsu

Post by koitsu » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Drag wrote:That whole period of time was just a mess for this entire community, and even if we've sorted it out, the damage was probably already done.
I'm not sure how long you've been part of the "community", but this sort of situation has recurred many times over (I'm talking a good 15-20), whether it be here on the boards or on IRC or otherwise. It's nothing new, and its continual recurrence is one of the reasons why key people have removed themselves from involvement. And yes, it's very specific to the nesdev community -- for a decade I've been trying to figure out why and still have no concrete explanation. The best I have: the NES/FC seems to be an "Internet fuckwad magnet". And for the record, I don't read/like Penny Arcade.

As for blargg: he's doing fine (read: he's alive and well). I got a very honest and sincere explanation for his departure, but I do not feel comfortable violating his right to privacy by posting the contents of his Email here; that'd be disrespectful towards him, and I have no such disrespect.

The simple version: he won't be returning here unless there are changes.

There is a post in the moderators forum discussing the crux of the problem, but so far none of the other mods have commented.

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:33 pm

I must admit I'm completely lost here. I wasn't even aware we had a big problem... I hope you mods can explain the situation to the rest of us sometime soon.

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:57 pm

koitsu wrote:
Drag wrote:That whole period of time was just a mess for this entire community, and even if we've sorted it out, the damage was probably already done.
I'm not sure how long you've been part of the "community", but this sort of situation has recurred many times over (I'm talking a good 15-20), whether it be here on the boards or on IRC or otherwise. It's nothing new, and its continual recurrence is one of the reasons why key people have removed themselves from involvement. And yes, it's very specific to the nesdev community -- for a decade I've been trying to figure out why and still have no concrete explanation. The best I have: the NES/FC seems to be an "Internet fuckwad magnet". And for the record, I don't read/like Penny Arcade.

As for blargg: he's doing fine (read: he's alive and well). I got a very honest and sincere explanation for his departure, but I do not feel comfortable violating his right to privacy by posting the contents of his Email here; that'd be disrespectful towards him, and I have no such disrespect.

The simple version: he won't be returning here unless there are changes.

There is a post in the moderators forum discussing the crux of the problem, but so far none of the other mods have commented.
Would be nice if we at least got a rundown of what EXACTLY he thought was wrong. Can't expect people to change if they're not told they're "doing it wrong"

MottZilla

Post by MottZilla » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:13 pm

tokumaru wrote:I must admit I'm completely lost here. I wasn't even aware we had a big problem... I hope you mods can explain the situation to the rest of us sometime soon.
I must have missed it too. I do remember one debate about the issue but I didn't keep up with it. I do remember a time where we seemed to get alot of requests about putting eproms of various games in carts and it got old quick.

Ian A

Post by Ian A » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:45 pm

Conversation on this forum can be a little heavy handed at times, I think.

When I first found this forum and the brewery over at NintendoAge I referred to the brewery as "the nice one" and to this forum as the one where everyone knew their stuff.

I could see how some of this heavy handedness could get old.

tepples

Post by tepples » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:51 pm

But when I tried to impose some more specific examples of what not to do, there was backlash.

Drag

Post by Drag » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:10 pm

koitsu wrote:
I'm not sure how long you've been part of the "community",
You got me there. Although my start in nes development was long ago, I had a period where I was inactive, due to the same kind of drama. Only recently have I really gotten my interest back enough to actively participate around here again.
but this sort of situation has recurred many times over (I'm talking a good 15-20), whether it be here on the boards or on IRC or otherwise. It's nothing new, and its continual recurrence is one of the reasons why key people have removed themselves from involvement.
Right, and this is one of those times, and we did indeed lose a key person from it, which is why I said what I said. It doesn't matter if there have been 19 clusterfucks leading up to this, the 20th clusterfuck is still a clusterfuck, and this thread is asking about one of the side effects from it.
And yes, it's very specific to the nesdev community -- for a decade I've been trying to figure out why and still have no concrete explanation. The best I have: the NES/FC seems to be an "Internet fuckwad magnet". And for the record, I don't read/like Penny Arcade.
Are you sure it's just NES/FC? I've seen pointless bickering in a few other fields of programming, not just nesdev. In my opinion, programmers in general are just as prone to the same immaturity as nesdev is.

ReaperSMS

Post by ReaperSMS » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:42 am

I'd say things are better here than elsewhere, but that isn't saying much. Elsewhere tends to be really %*()@# terrible, given Gabe's Internet Fuckwad Theory.

The GD.net forums tend to be awash in rampant idiocy regarding fellows wanting to make an MMO from scratch in their bedroom. What posts aren't about the MMO project of the week tend to be equally misguided.

Here, people tend to voice opinions that may not necessarily need voicing in public, but it tends to be relatively civil. Most of the time. There is a contingent that seems morally opposed to anything money related, period. Don't know whether they're worse than the "halp me lern everyting in a week" sort that show up every other month or so or not, but neither crew helps a ton.

I do miss blargg's fantastic attention to technical details, but if he's decided to not post here or chill in #nesdev, that's his decision.

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:45 am

Oh he left ? I didn't notice that at all, but now that you guys mention it there haven't been much activity here lately (I got decreasingly active too).

Mmh is he really that angry about me strongly opposing people who come here just to ask how to make bootlegs of games ? Well I was just pissed of by them back then but with this thread I understood I'd just have to get used to it and that I just had to completely ignore those thread instead of getting mad at someone regular here that answer to them even if they don't deserve it.

Is that the change blargg is looking for ? I don't understand and feel kind of bad but anyways he can do whatever he want.
His last discovery, the "maximal degree of synchronization with PPU", was very promising. It could allow things such as (almost ?) stable PPU writes which could lead to amazing effects. The method for such a synchronization was very complex and I didn't fully understood it. Hopefully there will be some use for it once.

About this communality's so called problems, I 100% disagree about what have been said. People just made problems up when there is now because they fear a lack of any problem.
So if you guys would better have to make up a programming problem or something in the like it would be much more helpful.
(or is it I who am the problem ? Oh god I sure hope this isn't the case)
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.