Poll Closed - Additional Free-For-All entries now posted

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Should we post the roms?

Yes! We want to play some games!
92%
No, lets potentially have better prizes!
4%
Other, any other ideas?
4%

Total votes: 24

NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Bump for the new entries posted.
miau

Post by miau »

Finally got around to playing the first batch of submissions. Excellent games!

People say that it's easier to make a good (commercial quality) game for an 8-bit console than for newer systems. I don't think it's as much because of the technical limitations of an 8-bit system, but because the game industry in general wasn't as experienced back then.
Lan Master and Lawn Mower prove this in a way. I am amazed by the quality of their music and graphics, it's a lot better than that of other NROM games I know. And both games are fun, too. Good job, Shiru!

Forehead Block Guy
The background collision glitches and dodgy physics made playing it a little frustrating, but it's a cool and fun concept. Dunno if there was any fix posted, all my roms are from June 5th.

Slappin' Bitches
My thumb died. I was a dirty cheater and enabled auto-fire eventually. I like how the music gets more intense as you go. There seems to be some strategy involved(?) to get most kills with a given wall integrity, but I found the game to be most enjoyable when I set it to 001 and just shot down tanks until the first one got me. Maybe re-balancing tank hit points and adding more unexpected events/different enemies that require fast reaction would make gameplay more diverse.

thwaite
Couldn't get very far, but loved it. The houses and people fleeing from them made me smile. It's a nice detail.

Panesian Power
Not sure what to say about this one. I remember discussing with a few people about how the NES needs more sexy treatment, heheh. Bunnyboy made it happen!
I lost motivation after the first level, you can blame the internet and its abundance of true-color sexy pics for that. :P

I have yet to try Memblers's and Denine's entries.
tepples

Post by tepples »

miau wrote:thwaite
Couldn't get very far, but loved it.
When'd you fail? (day and time in lower right corner) Perhaps I need to add more hourly tips.
The houses and people fleeing from them made me smile. It's a nice detail.
Thank you, and we both should thank tokumaru for the suggestion.
miau

Post by miau »

I kept losing at Sun 5:00, the increase in difficulty seemed too steep from 4:00 where I usually did not lose any houses.
However, just played again and got to Mon 4:00. I tried to shoot all missiles on my first attempts so the "wreckage" tip helped a good deal.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Yeah, the 5:00 levels are boss levels. Sun 05 goes from 25 enemy missiles to 30, which is the same as the ammo you get for each round. Are you remembering to look for double kill opportunities?
Sun 03 wrote:You can destroy two missiles by aiming where paths cross.
I think I know why Mon 04 probably caught you off guard, but I won't spoil it yet.
miau

Post by miau »

I am now, the problem was I'd focus on the lower missiles too much instead of going for easy double or triple kills which are possible closer to the top of the screen.

Now that I got the basic strategies down the game is a lot more fun and it seems well-balanced so far. :)
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

Lan Master and Lawn Mower and Thwaite is good.

Super Bat Puncher Demo is good too but this is a demo version hopefully the full version would fix some things such as adding timed mode and fix the continue option, and more levels.

I have other ideas and stuff too but at this time I will not type it right now.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

So recently I was contacted by one of the editors of http://www.infendo.com/ (Blake).

He asked if I could send one of my controllers for a review on his site and asked that I send an emulator and games with it. Normally I deny requests to send games with my products for obvious copyright issues. But after a few seconds it dawned on me that I could send him some homebrews!

I'm sending the controller out today with the updated games from this competition and a few other homebrew favorites of mine including NES virus cleaner and Dpad hero.

I guess what I'm asking is if you guys are okay with this. I can tell him not to mention anything about the homebrews in the review if that's what you guys would like. But I figured you all would like the publicity and since you're all freely sharing your work it wouldn't matter much.

For what it's worth I did include all the blurbs and plan to inform him of the compo and the roms I sent.

If by chance he's interested in the games and expresses interest on doing a review of homebrew gaming would everyone involved be supportive?

I want to make sure I'm not stepping on anyone's toes. I can guess that you all would like to get your work out there as much as possible but I don't want to offend with improper assumptions.

Once again, great work on all these games guys! Looking forward to the multicart!
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

If you could send him the games and just mention that the games you sent were just released by the homebrew community and that you'd possibly like them mentioned, that'd be great! :)
tepples

Post by tepples »

infiniteneslives wrote:I guess what I'm asking is if you guys are okay with this. I can tell him not to mention anything about the homebrews in the review if that's what you guys would like. But I figured you all would like the publicity and since you're all freely sharing your work it wouldn't matter much.
Go ahead and mention Thwaite, my compo entry. In fact, go ahead and mention my other homebrew games (LJ65 and Concentration Room).
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

This is exactly what I would hope would happen with the competition. We need more exposure for the NES homebrewers in the community.
infiniteneslives

Will do guys! I'm guessing he has a fairly constant need to report on Nintendo related items and this would seem like a great idea to write on.

I'll send him the links to the compo and give him the scoop.
Denine

Post by Denine »

I have PC, and Internet too!
Ok, now I played all of compo entries.
The "game of compo"? For m it's Lan master.
I never liked this kind of game much, but Lan master somehow is really good!
Law mover is also very good entry.
So does Bat puncher, but it's too short.
About that artile for http://www.infendo.com/ thing..
Um...I don't know if he'l be writing about NROM category only, but... If you\he can't wait then please ask him to do not write about Melanchony Of Existance.
Melanchony Of Existance is badly written and can make NES homebrews look as "poor" for some people, because of MOE bugs and collisions problems.
There will be Full version soon.But if ou\he can't wait then please don't mention MOE.
infiniteneslives

Denine wrote: About that artile for http://www.infendo.com/ thing..
Um...I don't know if he'l be writing about NROM category only, but... If you\he can't wait then please ask him to do not write about Melanchony Of Existance.
Melanchony Of Existance is badly written and can make NES homebrews look as "poor" for some people, because of MOE bugs and collisions problems.
There will be Full version soon.But if ou\he can't wait then please don't mention MOE.
Yeah I'll mention that too him. I'm sure he'd understand if something was work in progress.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

I should say that complete silence about judging and results for more than a month since the deadline does not produce any positive feelings and is not very good motivation to participate next time. It actually took less time to make a game.