All's Well That Ends Well...

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

WJYkK

Post by WJYkK » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Welp, I have a server that I barely use and will gladly host it for free. If anyone's interested or wants details, PM me.

tepples

Post by tepples » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:28 pm

koitsu wrote:someone started massively downloading all of the content from numerous hosted sites here (nesdev, nesworld, JE in specific) using wget, which is absolutely the wrong thing to do (such utilities get stuck indefinitely on forums/boards).
Would it be less wrong to download only viewtopic.php, with topics in increasing order, and step through the 9,000 or so t= numbers (and the following pages)? I think I have enough Python-fu to scrape NESdev BBS 1.0 (wwwThreads) and NESdev BBS 2.0 (phpBB 2 based) intelligently and turn them into a usable archive.

EDIT: koitsu gave me the thumbs up in the other topic
Last edited by tepples on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hamtaro126

Post by Hamtaro126 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Well. There is one thing to say, and it is the fact that I will miss Parodius and NESDEV (if not rehosted and also having old threads archived). I had great help here, But will be very missed
AKA SmilyMZX/AtariHacker.

thefox

Post by thefox » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:27 am

I hope whoever takes up the hosting duties will be competent enough to take care of backups, etc. :)

Xkeeper

Post by Xkeeper » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:13 am

Dwedit wrote:TCRF only successfully loads about 45% of the time, no hosting from their host, please.
This is still an issue on your end. While the site is slow for others (what do you expect? It kind of outgrew the original space...) it doesn't have nearly the kind of issues that you have.

But to expand on what Drag said, TCRF uses a VPS outside of the place the other web hosting goes. If I ended up hosting it it'd be alongside the other sites on my DH account (rustedlogic.net, xkeeper.net, dreamandfriends.com, etc). So basically it's the same thing you suggested, piggybacking onto someone's DH account.

(Before anybody asks, I would not take any role in the site other than emergency maintenance in the event something happened server-side that needs to be fixed immediately. I have pretty much no stake or care in how these forums are run, other than the fact that I and a few others find it to be a useful resource of knowledge from time to time.)

It makes no difference what is decided, and since there are a little over 5 months left before the hosting ends you have a lot of time to consider your choices.

tepples

Post by tepples » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:05 am

How many GB/mo do the BBS and wiki do on average, so that someone with more hosting experience than I have can see how much of a server to get?

Denine

Post by Denine » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:48 am

Parodius going down? That's sad, but I belive you have your reasons.
koitsu wrote:Edit: Heh, shortly after the announcement, someone started massively downloading all of the content from numerous hosted sites here (nesdev, nesworld, JE in specific) using wget, which is absolutely the wrong thing to do (such utilities get stuck indefinitely on forums/boards). I just had to firewall them off. Some people...
Why would someone do such a thing?

thefox

Post by thefox » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:29 am

Drag wrote:
Dwedit wrote:So what's next? Piggyback nesdev onto some random person's Dreamhost account?
You could always give Xkeeper a ring. We tend to dabble in dorky video game stuff anyway. :P
The guy(s) from NintendoAGE may be interested in hosting the forum as well. Anybody know Dain and want to give him a poke about this?

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:47 am

Problem with that is that I recall them already having some cost issues awhile back...so I'm not sure if they can take on nesdev on top of it all.

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:08 am

Or we can just use the brewery for a temp. meet up spot, heh.

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:32 am

For a temporary meet up? sure. permanent. No

UncleSporky

Post by UncleSporky » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:41 am

Glad I randomly decided to stop by, I visit pretty infrequently.

Sad news, but as others have said it's not the end of the world.

It's just that this place was such a haven for NES development for so many years...feels like home. I could always count on Nesdev to be here, talking about detailed techniques to use on ancient hardware. :)

I'll miss it, even when it gets reborn.

blargg

Post by blargg » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:36 am

thefox wrote:Just writing this as a reminder here (to myself and others) that the stuff from http://blargg.parodius.com needs to be saved (I doubt blargg will be around to do it).
I appreciate your consideration. I just put up a top-level index so you can at least mirror everything except temp/. I need to go through temp to remove anything that was meant for particular people only.

Tormenter

Post by Tormenter » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:41 pm

You can get a years hosting for $100 that will allow enough traffic for this site. Im sure they can scrape enough in donations for that.

UncleSporky

Post by UncleSporky » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:10 pm

Tormenter wrote:You can get a years hosting for $100 that will allow enough traffic for this site. Im sure they can scrape enough in donations for that.
This is making the assumption that the reason is monetary, and since it's probably not (otherwise he would've made his reasons clear) I don't think it's worth trying to talk him out of it. It's ok, it seems a half dozen possible solutions are already floating around.