It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:02 pm 

I am at the hospital. My wife's water broke earlier this afternoon. With luck, our son will be born today (or tomorrow at the latest). I am giddy and just felt like sharing.

Last edited by clueless on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:39 pm 

Your first? I have two (boy & girl) and my brother/sister-in-law just had their second (boy) on Wednesday. Hope everything goes well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:58 pm 
NESICIDE developer

clueless wrote:
I am at the hospital. My wife's awater broke earlier this afternoon. With luck, our son will be born today (or tomorrow at the latest). I am giddy and just felt like sharing.

Congrats, man!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:38 pm 
Formerly 65024U

Suhweet! Congrats man! :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:01 pm 

Congratulations!

Just the other day I found out I'm gonna be a father too! I'm happy, but insanely scared at the same time.

If anyone here has any tips on how to conciliate our kind of hobby with being a family man, I'm all ears! =)

Good luck, clueless!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:08 pm 
NESICIDE developer

tokumaru wrote:
Congratulations!

Just the other day I found out I'm gonna be a father too! I'm happy, but insanely scared at the same time.

If anyone here has any tips on how to conciliate our kind of hobby with being a family man, I'm all ears! =)

Congrats!

My boys [8 and 7 yr.] come running whenever they hear SMB or Zelda coming from my laptop. They know dad's either goofing around or working on NESICIDE but in either case they *LOVE* watching me play those good ol' 8-bit games.

Don't get me wrong...they love the Wii probably more but it makes me very happy they're not like "dad's playing that old 8-bit crap again..."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:51 am 

Congratulations & good luck to you & your wife, clueless.

My first baby was born this March after 48 hours in the hospital...

You'll be busy with diaper explosions, etc. My advice is to support your wife first (who will be very tired) and if there are breaks when she's breastfeeding lying down or when baby's sleeping, you can duck out to get some gameplaying.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:30 am 

You people make me...feel young ;)
Congratulations to all father in this thread.
I can't give any real advice, but I second ccovell about breastfeeding.
I heard it's healthier than bottle feeding.

And one more time:
CONGRATULATIONS! :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:35 am 

Woah people let's do the congratulations AFTER the baby is born and the mother AND baby are doing well.

Apart from that good luck.

Edit: Post some pictures please when you can. I love babys and cats. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:13 am 

Congrats on the new one hope all are healthy and well!

I actually missed out on the birth, first words, and first steps Of my oldest while I was deployed. So one of my proudest firsts I got to witness was her beating the first level of SMB for the first time. My 4 year old probably plays as more NES than anything but she still spends time on the SNES, N64, wii and gameboy. Although her attention span per game is much shorter on the NES, she goes in spurts from one console to another. She only plays 1-2 games on each console, except the NES. Her favorite thing to do with the NES is randomly pick a game that looks good out of the cabinet which reminds me of how I acquired most of them ;)

tokumaru wrote:

I really don't think it's as hard as it sounds. We had our second child nearly a year ago. I'm pretty sure I wrote a few thousand lines of code with our then newborn in my lap. The difficulty comes when they realize how awesome the keyboard is and they try to attack it whenever in sight. There isn't much I can't do with a kid in my lap which helps, so perhaps thats a skill/tip to work towards. Software is also significantly easier to work on than hardware with young ones so most of you have that advantage.

The other thing that goes a LONG way in things more than just deving is keeping them involved with your interests even when they're really too young. Figuring out ways for them to help out when they are ~3+ years old allows you to work on your hobby while entertaining/teaching them. For me I always ask for help testing things, or maching things up before final assembly. Kids are also FULL of ideas for things like games, and love to draw. So those are integratable skills for deving also.

Aside from hobbies I think getting the older one involved and helping out when the second child comes around is also a huge key to help them cope with the family change and shift in attention.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:17 am 

tokumaru wrote:

Get them involved!

Finding time to actually sit down and code is a whole other story...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:51 am 

Never knew that you were a cute little 3 year old blonde girl James :?.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:57 am 

Why does people have to expand their private lives on the net ?
Oh well since Clueless started it, if his baby is born today (October 10th), he's born the same day as my second nephew. That's a fun think to know.

@Tokumaru, I agree it'd be very hard to combine fun hobbies with a family. It'd be possible but then you'd probably be a terrible father, taking more care of you computer than your own children, which is not a good idea (even if technically possible).
Even though I'm a lot into computers and technical stuff, I have to admit social links between people have probably never been so damaged in history because of computers, as people care more about virtual stuff than the real people that are around them which is sad.

You have to make choices in your life I guess....
I'll prefer having some fun hobbies myself, the world is already overpopulated enough (at least in my country), and I have my nephews (from now on with a s) for a nice change if I want to do child-ish things. I might change my mind later though.

As for people saying congratulations I'll just add that while having a baby is easy, rising him/her is the really hard part. I don't want to say anything negative or anything, this is just the reality.

In short :
Still I wish you best of luck and a lot of pleasure in rising your children, Clueless. I hope you'll be able to continue some sparse NESdev, but I perfectly understand if you don't.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:12 pm 

Wow great way to sour the mood...

Bregalad wrote:
I agree it'd be very hard to combine fun hobbies with a family.

Seriously? So family fun isn't part of your vocab?

I'm not sure how many children you've given birth to Bregalad, but I'd like to see you try and convince the women I know that having a baby is easy... ;)

Sorry but parenthood is not the end of your hobby/fun life unless you want it to be. In my opinion it only makes that hobby/fun time more enjoyable. Your welcome to your opinion Bregalad. If one's only hobby were drinking at the bar I'd agree with you. I just hope everyone else doesn't see it the same way and feel they have to abandon their hobbies (and nesdev) as new or soon to be parents. Unless you also think all parents who are active on nesdev must be terrible, there are plenty of us here who are proof of that it can be done.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:22 pm 

I haven't given birth to noone (I stated this in my previous post indirectly.... sorry if it wasn't clear enough).
You're right being a parent doesn't end all your hobbies, and of course you can have hobbies with your family, but different hobbies, especially with newborn children.
It of course also depends on the children's personality and attitude.

In all cases it's obvious having children reversibility change one's life. Saying the opposite would be a straight dishonest lie, or someone who never actually dealt with a baby or a young child.
Children needs that you pay attention to them all the time. You can't just sit in front of your TV, your computer or whatever else and let them play alone. Or if you do, you'll probably not a good parent. But I'm not one to juge whenever other people are good parents.