More NSF Requests

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

BlackGuyRX

Re: Here is an updated list of NSF fix on my list

Post by BlackGuyRX »

MrNorbert1994 wrote:
locke_gb7 wrote: Short Order Eggsplode Burger Game
Seems like that the original ripper accidently set the tune number 09 instead of 0A.
Thanks for you work put into fixing things!

Although the music for the Eggsplode! game still seems to be corrupted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMq9XN8nql8
BlackGuyRX

Re: More NSF Requests

Post by BlackGuyRX »

MrNorbert1994 wrote:Here are two fixes what I did not so long ago.

Both of them are tunetable fixes.
This one still seems to be off as well, note the percussion in the stage 1 & 2 themes-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHCjq63FhYo
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

Here are two more PAL rips.
Attachments
Phantom Air Mission (1992 - Activision).nsf
(5.37 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Fester's Quest (PAL) (SFX).nsf
(20.13 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

BlackGuyRX wrote:Here's a big list from me-

Gekitotsu Yonku Battle - several tunes sound off
I was able to fix this two one. Any more known songs seems to be off?
Attachments
Gekitotsu Yonku Battle - Title Fix.nsf
(32.08 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
Gekitotsu Yonku Battle - Stage 1 Fix.nsf
(32.13 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
BlackGuyRX

Post by BlackGuyRX »

In the very slight chance anyone's still ripping & repairing NSFs, here's the request list I PM'd MrNorbert1994 months ago
I'll outline anything that's since been fixed and add more, which means I'll try to seek out gameplay vids, and even replay the games to find anything if need be.
Bio-Miracle Bokutte Upa (ROM cart release, FDS version has been ripped, but not this version)
Chubby Cherub (Japanese version, Obake no Q-Taro has been ripped, but US version has a different title theme which has yet to be ripped)
Some Caltron 6-in-1 stuff like Porter & the title menu appears to be missing the noise channel.
Challenger is missing a channel in all songs (noise I think)
Street Cop is missing the title theme FIXED
Friday The 13th is completely off in all but one song
Garfield No Isshuukan - A Week Of Garfield has some glitched tracks where the punt sfx plays at the start of the tunesFIXED
Gekitotsu Yonku Battle - several tunes sound off FIXED
M.U.S.C.L.E.- Japanese version (Kinnikuman - Muscle Tag Match) has been ripped, but the U.S. version which has some different tunes, has not been ripped.
Magic Block - Unripped
Moai Kun - All songs play too fast
Nuts & Milk - One song is off and another appears to be missing
Pizza Pop! - Several tunes are missing FIXED
Popeye- two stage themes are off FIXED
Quattro Arcade - Stunt Buggies - Songs play too fast
R.C. Pro-Am II - Several tracks are broken
The Flintstones - The Rescue Of Dino & Hoppy - One or two tracks sound off, I need to double check which ones
Wagyan Land - One or two tracks sound off, I need to double check which ones

Thanks again!
drdevil

Post by drdevil »

Can someone make NSF rips of Kira Kira Star Night and Super Maruo?
Karmic

Post by Karmic »

Ripped Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa.
Attachments
Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa.nsf
(31.65 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

Is there a Battletoads PCM rip available that doesn't use Quietust's non-returning INIT hack? If not, I would like to request one.

While I'm on the subject of PCM, are there any NSFs out there that use the MMC5 PCM channel? I don't care if they're homebrew; I just want to know if it's worth bothering to implement it in my player.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

The MMC5 PCM channel basically can only really be used with timed code, so I'd expect that the only way it could be in an NSF rip would be using the same non-returning hack.

Searching the random pile of NSFs I have for the byte sequence corresponding to "STx $5011", Shin 4 Nin Uchi Mahjong's NSF does contain some such instructions, but I didn't see any evidence that they're ever executed.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

lidnariq wrote:The MMC5 PCM channel basically can only really be used with timed code, so I'd expect that the only way it could be in an NSF rip would be using the same non-returning hack.
The Battletoads non-returning INIT hack was specifically for NSF players that happened to have a timeout on INIT (not sure why this timeout arose, but Blargg's GME did it).

Non-returning PLAY works on most NSF players, and it's pretty good for PCM playback, but requires carefully timed code to mix other APU control with the samples (see Super-NSF, and MUSE for capable implementations of this). If you just want to rip the MMC5 PCM use in that Mahjong game, you wouldn't have to worry about timing other code. The lack of return causes PowerPak to be unresponsive after playback begins, though still successfully playing the track.

The Deflemask IRQ flag technique can be used to combine non-returning PLAY with a psuedo IRQ that's convenient for mixing PCM with non-timed APU code. This might be convenient for Battletoads. It still makes the PowerPak unresponsive, but you could return and resume occasionally to solve that problem, too.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

lidnariq wrote:The MMC5 PCM channel basically can only really be used with timed code, so I'd expect that the only way it could be in an NSF rip would be using the same non-returning hack.
Non-returning INIT is a hack used by only two NSFs (that I'm aware of), supported by only three players (ditto) and expressly forbidden by the NSF format ("The INIT routine MUST finish with an RTS instruction before music playback will begin."), hence my desire for a Battletoads rip that doesn't use it.

Non-returning PLAY is a commonly used and commonly supported feature. I see no reason why MMC5 PCM wouldn't work with that.

EDIT: ninja.
lidnariq wrote:Searching the random pile of NSFs I have for the byte sequence corresponding to "STx $5011", Shin 4 Nin Uchi Mahjong's NSF does contain some such instructions, but I didn't see any evidence that they're ever executed.
It can be triggered by reads from $8000-BFFF as well, though I don't know if anything actually used that.

Playing the Shin 4 Nin Uchi Mahjong NSF in NSFplay doesn't show any MMC5 PCM activity, in either case.
Hamtaro126

Post by Hamtaro126 »

I've requested this before (and nothing got done), and it's time to do this again:

A Re-Rip of Winky-Soft's ''Adventures of Tom Sawyer'' with all songs intact, since a couple of the songs were missing completely!
AKA SmilyMZX/AtariHacker.
Karmic

Post by Karmic »

Done. The subtunes were spread across multiple ROM banks, and the original ripper didn't consider them :)
Attachments
Adventures of Tom Sawyer.nsf
(128.13 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
Doommaster1994

Post by Doommaster1994 »

Hi, Karmic. I have a few NSF requests, if you have time.
Pool of Radiance - This one's complete, but since it's my favorite game of all time, I'd like the sound effects. I recall Gil-Galad saying this was one of his first and easiest rips.
Dr. Chaos (FDS) - Uses the same sound engine as the previous game. The music is arranged different for the Famicom Disk System.
Pachinko GP (FDS)
Phantom Fighter -I think some songs in the USA/Japanese version are different.
Karmic

Post by Karmic »

Ripped Pool of Radiance.
Attachments
AD&D - Pool of Radiance.nsf
(31.88 KiB) Downloaded 143 times