More NSF Requests

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

Rahsennor

Re: More NSF Requests

Post by Rahsennor »

Karmic wrote:It's the typical trick where APU frame IRQs are used to simulate the 60Hz PPU frame NMI. Both use non-returning play.
Whoa, that was fast! I assume you mean polling the IRQ flag, AKA the Deflemask trick?
Karmic

Post by Karmic »

Rahsennor wrote:
Karmic wrote:It's the typical trick where APU frame IRQs are used to simulate the 60Hz PPU frame NMI. Both use non-returning play.
Whoa, that was fast! I assume you mean polling the IRQ flag, AKA the Deflemask trick?
Yep. It's unfortunately the only real way to do this kind of timing with the limitations of NSF.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

Karmic wrote:Yep. It's unfortunately the only real way to do this kind of timing with the limitations of NSF.
Well drat. I pass all the test ROMs for the IRQ flag so it looks like this one's going to be a headache.

Thanks for the ultra-speedy answers.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Rahsennor wrote:
Karmic wrote:The 100% complete rip of Battletoads, with the PCM title and victory tunes, pause tune, sfx, and PCM sfx.
Thank you, good sir! I've been waiting for a proper rip of this game.

Now if I could just figure out why it plays way too fast in my NSF player... and only my NSF player. It does the same thing on your Skate Or Die 2 rip. What are you using for timing on the PCM tracks?
It uses the "deflemask" technique of disabling IRQ and polling $4015 for the frame counter's IRQ flag.

Anyhow, yeah I'm also glad to see this! I wanted to do this very thing for a long time, but it was never high enough on my priorities to get it done. Thank you!

Edit: whoops, missed the last page, you've already discussed it.
za909

Post by za909 »

Great job, especially because now we can listen to the samples without any NMI or OAM DMA cutting into the sound like in-game.
ap9

Post by ap9 »

Rahsennor wrote:Well drat. I pass all the test ROMs for the IRQ flag so it looks like this one's going to be a headache.
Definitely seems buggy that these two NSFs rips — Skate or Die 2 and Battletoads — don't work as intended in a more complete implementation of the APU, but work when turning off a few lines of code for 4017 and the frame counter, lines needed for the test ROMs to pass. (I added an option in my emulator to get them to work by doing just that— turning off those lines.) They work in FCEUX because its APU has never been updated for authentic frame timing.

However, the battletoadsdoubledragon_pcm NSF works with the more complete APU.
Last edited by ap9 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karmic

Post by Karmic »

ap9 wrote:
Rahsennor wrote:Well drat. I pass all the test ROMs for the IRQ flag so it looks like this one's going to be a headache.
Definitely seems buggy that these two NSFs rips — Skate or Die 2 and Battletoads — don't work as intended in a more complete implementation of the APU, but work when turning off a few lines of code for 4017 and the frame counter, lines needed for the test ROMs to pass. (I added an option in my emulator to get them to work by doing just that— turning off those lines.) They work in FCEUX because its APU has never been updated for authentic frame timing.

However, the battletoadsdoubledragon_pcm NSF works with the more complete APU.
You're right. I didn't know the APU frame-flag was set thrice in a row :p

Fixed to acknowledge this, it works fine in Nintendulator now at least.
Attachments
Skate or Die 2.nsf
(113.86 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
Battletoads.nsf
(31.56 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

Much better in repeat, but still not quite fixed. If you restart track 1 of Battletoads repeatedly you'll find the timing wobbles a bit with each playback, sometimes by quite a lot.

Could still be a bug in my player, of course.

(Also ap9 that's me you quoted not Karmic.)
ap9

Post by ap9 »

Rahsennor wrote:Much better in repeat, but still not quite fixed. If you restart track 1 of Battletoads repeatedly you'll find the timing wobbles a bit with each playback, sometimes by quite a lot.
Yeah, the timing/tempo is slightly inconsistent (in Nintendulator, but fine in others). An improvement nonetheless. :)
Rahsennor wrote:(Also ap9 that's me you quoted not Karmic.)
My reply post began one quote in another, and I deleted the wrong element. My bad.
shawnphase

Post by shawnphase »

i think the timing is off somehow in that blood of jurassic .nsf...if you listen to track 5, the dpcm channel is, well i dunno how to explain it really, but theres some sort of drift going on, even after one rep through...maybe its a pal/ntsc issue or something? im not sure, but you can hear that it doesnt sync up with the tridrops in the song..i havent listened to enough of it to be able to say if it affects other tracks or not, but maybe someone can confirm this, or that its supposed to do this? ahaha, i donno.
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

Ripped the PCM samples for this.
Attachments
Mahjong Club - Nagatacho Sousaisen (SFX).nsf
(288.13 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

A generic SFX rerip.
Attachments
Star Trek - The Next Generation (SFX).nsf
(16.14 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

Added SFX and jingles to this one.
Attachments
Chuck Yeager's Fighter Combat (SFX).nsf
(32.08 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
ap9

Post by ap9 »

Mahjong Club - Nagatacho Sousaisen (SFX) crashes or winds up at a bad address when a PCM sound effect completes. (Some players handle it better.)
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

Regarding Mahjong Club - Nagatacho Sousaisen, at the end of playing PCM the RTS goes to a routine that ends in an RTI and then pushes the PC to $2022; which is constantly updating RAM; and eventually reads illegal opcodes and crashes some players. I'm looking into fixing it.