Test NSF Files for Expansion Chips? (Testing Nestopia)

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

Quietust

Re: Test NSF Files for Expansion Chips? (Testing Nestopia)

Post by Quietust »

rainwarrior wrote:I don't know what would possess someone to use MMC5 PCM, other than utter novelty. It's redundant to the existing APU PCM feature, and poorly supported by emulators.
A bit of a necro, but it sounds like it's referring to MMC5 raw PCM, which is definitely used by at least one official game (the Mahjong one, as I recall) and thus needs to be emulated.
*Spitfire_NES* wrote:"During the introduction, I have a PCM sample going on (I borrowed it from Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!) and I actually use the MMC5's PCM channel $5011, because the volume of this sample is low, and it sounds good with the bg music."
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I was speaking directly in response to how MMC5 PCM had been used in a "recent hack" (which turned out to be infidelity's Mario All-Stars NES compilation hack). I thought this was not a good idea, and apparently so did its author, who changed this in a later revision. (Edit: I think infidelity eventually kept it in, after checking back.)

As for Shin-4-Nin Uchi Mahjong, I suppose its use there could have easily been done via the regular APU, but they didn't have to deal with emulators and their lack of support for the hardware feature.

If you're writing an emulator, sure, support it. I made an NSF test of it a while back, if it helps.
Attachments
mmc5.nsf
MMC5 PCM test NSF
(16.24 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
*Spitfire_NES*

Post by *Spitfire_NES* »

Quietust wrote:
rainwarrior wrote:I don't know what would possess someone to use MMC5 PCM, other than utter novelty. It's redundant to the existing APU PCM feature, and poorly supported by emulators.
A bit of a necro, but it sounds like it's referring to MMC5 raw PCM, which is definitely used by at least one official game (the Mahjong one, as I recall) and thus needs to be emulated.
*Spitfire_NES* wrote:"During the introduction, I have a PCM sample going on (I borrowed it from Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!) and I actually use the MMC5's PCM channel $5011, because the volume of this sample is low, and it sounds good with the bg music."
Thanks for bringing this back up Quietust. I'd love to be able to get this supported in nestopia pc version and then try to submit the changes over to rdanbrook undead version. Is the relevant changes needed in the apu?