Dissertation - Compositional Techniques in Sunsoft NES Music

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

snazzyhoppy

Dissertation - Compositional Techniques in Sunsoft NES Music

Post by snazzyhoppy »

I am pleased to announce that my doctoral dissertation is now available for perusal or purchase through ProQuest. Some forum members, composers, and other knowledgeable people contributed to this project. I have spoken at two conferences on the subject of the chiptune style as influenced by NES sound hardware and compositional ingenuity.

Title:
Chiptune Music: An Exploration of Compositional Techniques as Found in Sunsoft Games for the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom From 1988-1992

Abstract:
This study explores the compositional techniques of eight selected Sunsoft games in detail. Included are complete transcriptions from those games which incorporate common and novel techniques.

The developments that established the chiptune style during the late 1980s lie in three primary areas: technology, the era of its popularity in video games, and the composers. This dissertation examines each area as it relates to chiptune music. First, it explores technology in the sound chips and sound programming techniques used by the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom. Next, it provides background information on prominent Sunsoft composers and other notable chiptune composers of the past and present. Lastly, it examines musical excerpts from Sunsoft games, other NES and Famicom games, and more recent games with chiptune soundtracks to identify and codify compositional techniques first as sounds and effects and later as larger musical elements. The findings provide the historical context to examine the direction of chiptune music and video game music in general.
Jedi QuestMaster

Re: Dissertation - Compositional Techniques in Sunsoft NES M

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

I, for one, am very interested in looking at this.

However, I do not have a ProQuest account (yet?). How do I know if a library subscribes to PQDT? How much does it cost?

Is there any mention of the brand/model bass guitar used in Sunsoft's DPCM?

So many questions! :x
NovaSquirrel

Re: Dissertation - Compositional Techniques in Sunsoft NES M

Post by NovaSquirrel »

Jedi QuestMaster wrote:Is there any mention of the brand/model bass guitar used in Sunsoft's DPCM?
Roland and Yamaha synthesizers are mentioned as sources for Gimmick's samples in an interview, but it doesn't specify which provided the bass, and doesn't specify the model.