help me,Nsfplayer FDS question

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

fcfan

help me,Nsfplayer FDS question

Post by fcfan »

Nsfplayer FDS is a very cool player software, but does not support the bank, the file size is limited to about 25K, the open source code.
Question: how to support bank and support large NSF files.
rainwarrior

Re: help me,Nsfplayer FDS question

Post by rainwarrior »

fcfan wrote:Question: how to support bank and support large NSF files.
The FDS has no banking capabilities. It would have to pause the music while it loads a new bank from the disk.
tepples

Post by tepples »

That's true if an album is distributed as a disk image (.fds). But NSF uses its own bankswitching, even if it uses FDS as a synth.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

tepples wrote:That's true if an album is distributed as a disk image (.fds). But NSF uses its own bankswitching, even if it uses FDS as a synth.
This is a program that makes an FDS image of an NSF. The question isn't about NSFs with FDS expansion. (Unless I'm mistaken.)
tepples

Post by tepples »

Sorry, I must have misread.

In the case of NSF to FDS image conversion, any 2A03-only or FDS NSF that uses bank switching or $8000-$DFFF will need to be hacked, almost certainly manually. Music engine recognition (e.g. is this FamiTracker?) might be the most practical option if you insist on something automatic.
fcfan

Post by fcfan »

rainwarrior wrote:
fcfan wrote:Question: how to support bank and support large NSF files.
The FDS has no banking capabilities. It would have to pause the music while it loads a new bank from the disk.
New Question: how to support large NSF files? Default make 64k fds image,how to 128k fds image?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

It's still the same problem. The FDS does not do banking, so there's not really any mechanism to support larger files.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Perhaps fcfan is asking how to make a disk image that loads more songs as they're needed. Then side 1 would have the player, the player's graphics, and the first two music sequence files, and side 2 would have more music sequence files.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

That would generally be packing multiple smaller NSF files into a single FDS image, rather than supporting a single large NSF.

There is a smaller subset of large NSFs that only use banking during song init, but I don't know how far out of your way you want to go to detect and/or look for these.