Can we still get a collection of NSF without sound effects ?

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

Bregalad

Can we still get a collection of NSF without sound effects ?

Post by Bregalad »

So a dozen of years ago I clearly remember I had donwnloaded a complete collection of NSFs featuring music from most games sorted by company. A few years ago I probably decided it wasn't complete enough and scrapped it, to replace it with another complete collection of NSFs sorted alphabetically. The problem with the second collection (that I have right now) is that many NSFs containts not only music but also sound effects. This is annoying. Also some NSFs such as Battletoads & Double Dragon seems to be bad dumps. So I'd like to have my old collection back, exept I deleted it.

Today I cannot seem to find any page for either collection. Does such a thing still exist ? If they have both Battletods games with $4011 drums that'd be amazing but anything else is still good.
Memblers
Site Admin

Re: Can we still get a collection of NSF without sound effec

Post by Memblers »

You might be thinking of nsfcoll.zip that was compiled by kevtris. I believe he did take the sound effects out. It's still on the site here: http://nesdev.com/nsfcoll.zip, from 17 years ago. Lots of NSFs had not been ripped by that point in time though.
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Yeah, there are actually a number of people who are unhappy that many original NSFs were ripped without their sound effects, and are reripping /arranging them to include the SFX. "SFX are an integral part of the game experience / sound code; let's preserve them too" sort of argument.

Yes SFX / No SFX will probably never reach a consensus, I think.
thefox

Post by thefox »

If only the file format had some way of identifying the sound effects, so that NSF players could ignore them based on settings.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

The most complete NSF archive you can find is located over here: http://mrnorbert1994.uw.hu/

Sadly I'm one of those people who constatly rerip NSFs, because I'm in the "SFX are an integral part of the game experience / sound code; let's preserve them too" group. :P

This one has a lot of unripped / fixed stuff ($4011 rips of Battetoads and Ultimate Stuntman for istance).
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I appreciate NSFs having sound effects if possible, and I thought NSFe had a potentially good solution to the problem by adopting a convention:

Put all the music tracks in the NSFe playlist, and leave all the sound effects out of it. That way sound effects can be played by turning off the playlist and just listening to all tracks.

I think this is suitable because I don't imagine anyone really wants to listen to a "playlist" of sound effects. You're probably either trying to find a specific one to record or something, or just want to listen to them all to investigate what's in there, which also doesn't need a playlist.

Of course, we could just add an additional NSFe chunk that identifies which tracks are SFX, and then it could just be a "sound effects" option in the player.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

ccovell wrote:"SFX are an integral part of the game experience / sound code; let's preserve them too" sort of argument.
If your goal is to use sounds from the original game for another purpose, for example for inseritng them in a Youtube video, then I agree. However when the goal is to actually listen to game music, there's nothing more annoying as sound effects being included in the set. Exept if those are part of the music - but NSFs with 100+ "songs", most of them being sound effects of 3 frame long, are ridiculous and extremely annoying when the goal is to just listen to the music.
The most complete NSF archive you can find is located over here: http://mrnorbert1994.uw.hu/
Great. Shame that you are in the wrong camp regarding to SFXs. What's the point of having US/JAP/PAL rips when the music is the same ? (I don't mean it in cases where the music is different such as Castlevania games). That's even more worthless than having sound effects.

Battletoads & Double Dragon have the same crap as the rip I already had - half of the songs are garbage with tracks playing at wrong tempo (and often at different wrong tempoes). It's great you were able to fix Stage 3's music (triangle's not being time shifted more and more as the time passes) - if Stage 2's who has the same problem would also be fixed that'd be great. I can't believe Rare released the game with such a blatant bug in it, especially given how polished their games are otherwise.