Famicompo Pico returns on 2017 June 15!

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

retrodpc

Re: Famicompo Pico returns on 2017 June 15!

Post by retrodpc »

I see no issue with discussion that's not completely pertinent but still relevant.

I've already discussed this on the IRC but for the people who weren't there, I will continue to use MP3 simply because of its greater reach, as much as I love Opus' quality.

@tepples: the primary purpose of withholding the author's identity is to prevent listeners from biased voting based on the entrant. As long as the entry is not advertised and the name is withheld, in most cases this is enough to serve its purpose. If you go out of your way to identify instruments and engines to guess the author and base your score on it, that's on you and you should feel bad for it. I'm just trying to protect the innocent from their own unconscious bias.
ap9

Post by ap9 »

Rahsennor wrote:
rainwarrior wrote:I don't get why anybody is talking about Opus? Everyone knows and uses MP3s and they do the job well. Whether Opus provides a minor improvement to the quality vs size ratio is unimportant.
Because we disagree with the parts I highlighted. I would take 64 kbps Opus over 320 kbps MP3 any day.
Actually, 320 kbps MP3 with the right encoder/settings can produce better monophonic fidelity than Opus given the limitations of Opus's full-band implementation, providing no room for frequencies above 20 KHz. Opus is more suited for voice quality than music.

But the point of using MP3 isn't quality or size, it's accessibility… and a bit of a lossy preview to the actual 2A03 executable music. If you want the full fidelity and best size you'd just release only the NSF :wink:

As for biased voting, it's inevitable in the sense that different people have different tastes. But withholding names and titles should make it clear that it's about the music standing on its own… before it's put in a compilation, anyway.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

ap9 wrote:[But the point of using MP3 isn't quality or size, it's accessibility… and a bit of a lossy preview to the actual 2A03 executable music. If you want the full fidelity and best size you'd just release only the NSF :wink:
The MP3 submissions are just for the "freestyle" category where it is NES + whatever you like. This isn't an NSF category.
ap9

Post by ap9 »

I stand corrected. Reading the first post again, I see MP3s are not required for the non-freestyle categories. (Although it would make it technically difficult to tell what NSF engine was used if the voters could only download MP3 recordings. :) )
Joe

Post by Joe »

ap9 wrote:Actually, 320 kbps MP3 with the right encoder/settings can produce better monophonic fidelity than Opus given the limitations of Opus's full-band implementation, providing no room for frequencies above 20 KHz.
How does wasting bits coding something that nobody can hear make it better? Wouldn't it be better to spend those bits on the audible portion of the spectrum?

This whole MP3 vs Opus argument is missing the point, anyway. Why are the freestyle submissions not accepted in a lossless format?
ap9

Post by ap9 »

Joe wrote:Why are the freestyle submissions not accepted in a lossless format?
Because generic audio players don't universally support lossless compression. One may support one format but not another. iOS supports ALAC but not FLAC. (However, it's been reported that iOS 11 may support FLAC.)

It would be something to allow uncompressed WAV file submissions for freestyle as devices generally support that.
retrodpc

Post by retrodpc »

Unfortunately it would be impractical to accept WAV files, due to their immense size.
Punch

Post by Punch »

B00daW wrote:Funny how almost everyone is off-topic; instead of considering the technical details of their potential entries.
Welcome to Nesdev.com
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

So, is anyone else on here going to enter something? I think I will, last time I entered something in Famicompo I think it was the very first one. I was the only one who submitted an NSF with more than one track.. whoops. :oops:

I know I can't win, but if I'm going to have my ass handed to me, it'll be by the best NES/FC composers in the world, and that's pretty cool!
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

I'd like to enter. I'd also like to know if this will be preserved and maintained better than the last one that was on bitpuritans.eu (defunct).
Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

I, for one, would like to request the original tagged NSFs be made available once the competition ends. That way I won't still be tagging them myself two years later only to find out about the next Famicompo Pico announcement once I'm finished.
retrodpc

Post by retrodpc »

I will make the original NSFs for this compo available; hopefully the ones for the previous ones will be available as well, though since I did not host them I cannot guarantee this.

At any rate, entry period starts in less than 24 hours. Good luck, everyone!
nin-kuuku

Post by nin-kuuku »

Questions:
1) Multi song NSF?
2) Famicompo Classical vol.2, when? Expansions suck much.
3) Freestyle. "The 2A03 must be noticable in the song." WTF???
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Multi song NSF?
Last year had a few multi-song NSFs.
Seems pretty straightforward to me. Famicom-po.

I'm sure they would accept 'simulated' NES sounds, made with Square or Triangle waves, not just output from Famitracker or actual hardware.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
nin-kuuku

Post by nin-kuuku »

Seems pretty straightforward to me. Famicom-po.

I'm sure they would accept 'simulated' NES sounds, made with Square or Triangle waves, not just output from Famitracker or actual hardware.
Is GameBoy pulse Famicom enough. I have GameBoy through Korg MS-20 and GameBoy+Korg DS-10 songs already. Are they fine for freestyle.

edit: no idea how this quote thing works. sorry.