FamiStudio NES music editor

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

oRBIT2002

Re: FamiStudio NES music editor

Post by oRBIT2002 »

I suspect there might be something off with the FamiTone2 export-functionality? I've been in contact with the FamiTone2-guy and there doesn't seem to be any obvious problems with my code.
bleubleu

Post by bleubleu »

Sorry for the delay.

Can you send me the source files (FMS, FTM, etc.)? The ASM file wont help much is the damage is already done. Ill look once i have those. We are ~2 weeks away from a new release, so it would be cool to include a fix (if there is need for one).

Keep in mind, the ROM export supports all the functionality that FamiStudio supports while Famitone2 has a very limited feature set (check out Famitone2 readme, Shiru explains it very clearly). Any feature not supported by Famitone2 will be discarded. Even with Famitracker that's how it works.

On top on my mind, features to not use with Famitone2: any effect from the effect panel, release envelopes, duty cycle envelopes, slide notes, any audio expansion, etc.

-Mat
oRBIT2002

Post by oRBIT2002 »

I attach an NSF from "RcProAm", the titletrack sounds slightly strange in the beginning atleast when saved as FamiTone2 and playback using that code..
This is how it should sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDQ7XfONoYc
Attachments
RC Pro-Am.nsfe
(32.19 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
bleubleu

Post by bleubleu »

That's an NSF. Dont you have a FTM (FamiTracker) or FMS (FamiStudio) file?

An NSF is like the end product, its not something you would ever want to use to make a game. Once a song is in NSF, it is basically code. It no longer has any high-level information (instruments, etc.). It not something you would want to use in a game. The data is gonna be extremely messy (full of volume effects and pitch effects, none of which are supported by FamiTone2). Plus the data size is gonna be HUGE!

For example, in the image I have attached, which is from your NSF, you will see that what was once an instrument volume envelope, has now been inlined in the effect track. FamiTone2 doesn't support those. So All you will ear is a plain boring note. Same for pitch effects.

If you want music for your game, here is the workflow I would recommend:

1) Compose the music in FamiTracker or FamiStudio, and work within the limitations of FamiTone2 (check the readme from Shiru).
2) If you really want to use this song for example, you will like need to reverse-engineer it, basically reconvert all these volumes/pitches into proper instruments. Which takes a lot of time. I have dont it myself for some of the demo songs included with FamiStudio.

I hope it helps. Good song btw, brings back memories!

-Mat
Attachments
VolumeEffect.PNG
oRBIT2002

Post by oRBIT2002 »

I just used it for testing, I think the NSF import is really cool, I didn't bother about possible sideffects. :)
And yes that song is awesome. :)

So I am back at square 0 again, FamiTone2 obviously doesn't support all features so there's no point in using that for my possible future NES-stuff. :(

EDIT: I still think you should provide an accurate replayer sourcecode in 6502 assembler for FamiStudio music. :)
Obviously all other music engines you're refering to doesn't support all features anyway..(?)