thoughts/info on supernsf?

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

raygrote

thoughts/info on supernsf?

Post by raygrote »

Hi everyone,
I recently read about supernsf which allows you to compose nsf files using an impulsetracker module (.it format). Using special comments, you are able to construct instruments for the various Nes sound channels. The interesting part though is that the dpcm channel can play up to 4 channels of sample data instead of its normal dpcm samples.

I've been wanting to mess with this, but it's been a bit of a bumpy road to get started. First off I am visually impaired so learning about trackers has been difficult for me. Fortunately, open mpt is now very accessible with screen reader software, so using it is at least manageable for me, though I still find tracking awkward. Ironically, trying to write for supernsf might be easier than doing a complex module in some respects, since channel count will need to be lower. But since my tracker chops are rudimentary at the moment, I'm reserving further judgment about that.

Secondly, I'm not sure what version of supernsf is actually recommended for people who want to use it; I had to hunt one down on archive.org since I couldn't find working links. This has me worried that the project is abandoned.

I did get it mostly working though, which makes me happy. However I haven't really done much with it. Before I get excited, I wanted to ask if anyone here has heard of or used the tool, and what their thoughts are about it. Is it worth pursuing or is it limited/buggy in a frustrating way? I'm also curious to know more information about it if it's available, since my knowledge of it basically extends to what I've written above. All I ask is that the discussion not turn into a purist debate.
Thanks for reading and eager to read your responses!
rainwarrior

Re: thoughts/info on supernsf?

Post by rainwarrior »

I think this github is the most recent version of it:

https://github.com/mukunda-/supernsf

Otherwise I don't have much to say about it. It works, and it's kinda neat.
raygrote

Re: thoughts/info on supernsf?

Post by raygrote »

Thanks for the github link! That guy has a few other interesting tools like Snesmod.

Come to think of it, I might have found this a while ago when looking into supernsf. I'm almost sure I saw it but I can't remember. In any case I couldn't use it because I don't know how to compile Windows binaries.